How come no 'mushies' on OCC post-op diet?

NoWorry

According to the post-op diet I was given by Dr. Miranda, the first week is clear liquids (she changed this to 4 days in my case) and then 3 weeks of full liquids. Finally, starting on day 28, solid foods. But there is no period of mushies. On LapBandTalk, there is a lot of discussion amongst patients who are eating mushies starting anywhere from their 2nd or 3rd week.

In "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies," the authors talk about stages of soft purees and firm purees during the initial 4 week post-op diet and offer many recipes and suggestions for what to eat during these stages. This is for both bypass and Band patients.

Has anyone here been allowed mushies during their post-op diet? If not, any idea why not?

Each surgeon is a bit different about how they wish to have their patients recover. The four weeks of liquids is standard for Dr Ortiz's patients and is what he thinks is most beneficial to aid in recovery. Instructions from your doctor should override anything heard elsewhere.

Each surgeon is a bit different about how they wish to have their patients recover. The four weeks of liquids is standard for Dr Ortiz's patients and is what he thinks is most beneficial to aid in recovery. Instructions from your doctor should override anything heard elsewhere.

I'm not disputing it. I'm trying to understand why.

I'm not disputing it. I'm trying to understand why.

I believe, if I remember right, Kyle and I had to do 21 days of liquids, then, solids. I questioned Lori about going to mushies, seems it would be the best plan, but, nope, went right to solids.

Teri

The reason for no mushies is...

Your stomach has to heal, and with that the band has to "settle" in place. During these first 3-4 weeks, the band is creating a small groove in your stomach, in which it settles in place, and is LESS LIKELY to slip. Also the band is sutured in place with three or 4 small stitches. You need to have ONLY liquids, so that everything goes through the band EASILY. Any kind of soft, or mushy food will STILL put a little pressure on that area, and is just not good for healing purposes. Dr. Ortiz has told us that "most" people who have had slipped bands ate solid foods BEFORE the 3-4 weeks were over.

Personally, I paid too much for my band to risk slippage before I even got started! I went to solids after the 4th week, and chewed my food a MILLION times, and everything was fine. I did get food stuck a few times after that, (cottage cheese!!!!) and I know that if that had happened earlier than 4 weeks out, I would have been REALLY panicked! Also, your stomach is still swollen from surgery, and you are more likely to get something stuck, and rip out the sutures.

Not worth it!

Donna

Dr. Ortiz has told us that "most" people who have had slipped bands ate solid foods BEFORE the 3-4 weeks were over.

I can see how eating solid foods during the first 3-4 weeks might cause slippage. But I'm asking about mushies, and specifically about a transition, rather than going straight from liquid to solids.

Well, I'm at 15 days and I'm tired of the constant diarrhea over the last 4 days and the now-steady diet of Imodium. My research convinces me that a slow and steady progression to mushies is not only safe, but should be recommended. I'll report my results for any others who may be interested.

FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ORDERS.... PERIOD! If you have a question about what your doctor has instructed then call!! I'd be happy to put you through to Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Miranda if you question the post-op diet regimen :)

WHEN I ASKED DR MIRANDA ABOUT WHY NO MUSHIES SHE TOLD SANDY AND I THAT MOST OF THE TIME PEOPLE START EATING, SOFT STARCHY CARBS, THE THING SHE WANTS YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM

While it's definitely true that soft, starchy carbs are most likely to fall into the mushy group. there are lots of alternatives. Stage one baby food, for example, provides high protein and complex carbs in many selections.

I had a black bean soup today that caused no problem. Okay, so I over-watered it, then blended it and then strained it to get it to fall into the liquid rather than mushy category, but it still tasted great - chipotle and lime flavored! - and also resolved my craving for complex carbs.

So far it hasn't run right through me as did all the other liquids I've been drinking.

While it's definitely true that soft, starchy carbs are most likely to fall into the mushy group. there are lots of alternatives. Stage one baby food, for example, provides high protein and complex carbs in many selections.

I had a black bean soup today that caused no problem. Okay, so I over-watered it, then blended it and then strained it to get it to fall into the liquid rather than mushy category, but it still tasted great - chipotle and lime flavored! - and also resolved my craving for complex carbs.

So far it hasn't run right through me as did all the other liquids I've been drinking.

RE: How come no 'mushies' on OCC post-op diet?

IT'S WHAT SHE TOLD ME.

YES, I KNOW THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES

GLAD YOUR FEELING BETTER :)