Favorite's

What's your favorite brand and flavor protein drink? There are so many to chose from! I bought a couple different packets at the health foods store today and my husband already has a bucket of Apex high protein drink mix from the gym. A single scoop of that has 23 g protein- mixed w/1 cup milk it's 215 calories. It's vanilla and better than I expected, but I think there's still better out there. I'd like to discover the best tasting drink pre-op so that I'm not experimenting post-op!

I also bought a liquid vitamin. Lifetime Brand called Life's Basics. It has many, many nutrients in it, but it was very high in C & B vitamins. I'm feeling the urge to get everything bought so I can pack and do a whirlwind cleaning of the house. It's like nesting! I was thinking to myself as I shopped about how horrid Geritol used to taste as a child!!! I decided on pineapple coconut flavor.

I also remembered a field trip w/my sons class to a local science center . They did an experiment eating Jelly Belly's with their nose plugged. It was impossible to know what flavor was in your mouth. This lesson might come in handy <g>.

Getting back to topic...do you have a protein drink or vitamin recommendation?

Judy

To be Banded June 6

What's your favorite brand and flavor protein drink? There are so many to chose from! I bought a couple different packets at the health foods store today and my husband already has a bucket of Apex high protein drink mix from the gym. A single scoop of that has 23 g protein- mixed w/1 cup milk it's 215 calories. It's vanilla and better than I expected, but I think there's still better out there. I'd like to discover the best tasting drink pre-op so that I'm not experimenting post-op!

I also bought a liquid vitamin. Lifetime Brand called Life's Basics. It has many, many nutrients in it, but it was very high in C & B vitamins. I'm feeling the urge to get everything bought so I can pack and do a whirlwind cleaning of the house. It's like nesting! I was thinking to myself as I shopped about how horrid Geritol used to taste as a child!!! I decided on pineapple coconut flavor.

I also remembered a field trip w/my sons class to a local science center . They did an experiment eating Jelly Belly's with their nose plugged. It was impossible to know what flavor was in your mouth. This lesson might come in handy <g>.

Getting back to topic...do you have a protein drink or vitamin recommendation?

Judy

To be Banded June 6

Hi Judy,

I found a great protein drink at Costco called Muscle Milk chocolate. Each single serve carton has 22g protein and only 5g of sugar. There are alot of other flavors of it, and it is also sold in the big dry powder jugs. Costco only carried the vanilla and chocolate. I love it and have tried EAS powder but couldn't stand it. I missed my muscle milk for the first 6 days of post-op and was so happy when I was allowed to drink it again. It was like a friend that had left me and then came back...LOL I really need to look into getting the liquid vitamins too, but don't know what exactly I need or would like.

Good luck with your experiments and seach for the best one you love.

Peace,

Judy

Update, update on the liquid vitamin supplement I "thought" would be good. Lifetime, Life's Basics. I tried it yesterday. I wanted to make sure it was tolerable. First off, it was green, like grass and a tiny bit clumpy. I figured, oh well, green is healthy. It didn't smell too good, but I figured oh well, it's vitamins. Down the hatch. Whoaaaaa-Wow-Ding-Ding-Ding. I thought I was going to thow up. It was positively the foulest substance that has ever touched my mouth. My face must have been something to see! I could not get the stinking flavor out of my mouth. I drank water, rinsed my mouth,drank more and rinsed more. I finally gargled with Scope, but I was still breathing the stuff for many minutes. Blech. I have since ordered the Bariatric Vitaband wafers. They won't get here until I'm in TJ, but they will be here when I return. Maybe my husband will try them for me first...lol. I'm thankful I tried the Life's Basics it ahead of time.

Thank you so much for the protein shake recommendations.

Judy

To be banded in 3 days

Great topic. I want to try the Apex & Muscle Milk since they are so high in protein. I am using a product called "Whey" by MRM that I got at our local health food store. It's a powder, and it has 18g Protein, 87 Calories, 1g Sugar, per serving. My favorite is the "Natural" flavor because it tastes good (not too sweet) and it doesn't get too frothy in the blender. When I drink froth it makes me burp a lot, and it makes my tummy feel uncomfortable.

For a multi-vitamin & mineral I take "Source of Life Liquid" by Nature's Plus. It actually tastes good. I prefer the liquids over the chewable vitamins. The lady at the health food store gave me a good tip: If you must drink something yukky-tasting, mix it with cranberry juice. The tart taste does a good job to camouflage yukky-taste. I have tried it and it works well. Rachelle

Addendum: One of the cheapest places I have found to purchase vitamins is Vitacost.com. Not only are their prices cheap, but they also ship for just $4.99 regardless of the size of your order. That's one of my pet peaves about online shopping is when you think you're getting a good deal until you check-out and realize they made up the savings in the cost of shipping. Rachelle

What's your favorite brand and flavor protein drink?

I've been a big fan of Atkins Advantage shakes for the last couple of years. It's one of the lowest in carbs (even lower than Glucerna, which is the recommended brand for diabetics, and lower also than Sugar-Free Boost). But it's rather expensive. For powdered protein shakes, I use the GNC house brand of Whey. It comes in 6 different flavors. My favorite is Chocolate Caramel (yum!)

I tried Centrum chewable vitamins until some research revealed that it's fairly low-grade in bio-availability - about the same as Flintstones (which is really more of a candy). I found a brand of liquid supplements called Wellesse that is very highly rated in health magazines. It's available from drugstore.com and shipping is free. In addition to their multi-vitamins, I was also delighted to find that they have a liquid Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM blend for joints, and I've added that to my daily supplements. Multi-vitamins is $12.99 and Glucosamine is $18.99, I think.

I found a brand of liquid supplements called Wellesse that is very highly rated in health magazines. It's available from drugstore.com and shipping is free. In addition to their multi-vitamins, I was also delighted to find that they have a liquid Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM blend for joints, and I've added that to my daily supplements.

Thanks for the tip about Wellesse. I will try it. I would like to try something for my joints, too. Of the three you listed - Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM - which is for joints?

Rachelle

Thanks for the tip about Wellesse. I will try it. I would like to try something for my joints, too. Of the three you listed - Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM - which is for joints?

Rachelle

All three are combined in one mixture. Glucosamine is only effective when combined with Chondroitin. MSM provides additional benefits. So you should only take a joints supplement that includes all three ingredients.