PLEASE READ, I'M JUST IN TEARS THIS EVENING

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW:

GOSH, WHERE DO I EVEN START THIS EVENING? AS A LOT OF YOU KNOW, I WAS BANDED WITH A GIRLFRIEND IN AUG. 2006. I WAS THE ONE THAT LOOKED UP ALL THE INFORMATION FOUND THE DR, DID ALL THE EMAILING, DID ALL THE HOMEWORK ETC, SANDY WAS JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE. OH YEAH, SHE WANTED THE LAPBAND AND ALL BUT I GAVE HER ALL THE INFORMATION I HAD AND SHE RAN WITH IT. “YES, YES, I WANT ONE TOO”

WE BOTH WENT DOWN TO MX TO HAVE OUR FIRST FILL TOGETHER IN I THINK IT WAS OCT OF LAST YEAR; I GOT 1.8cc SHE 1.6cc. SHE HAD PROBLEMS RIGHT OFF THE BAT BUT DIDN'T SAY TOO MUCH AND LIVED WITH IT FOR MONTHS, THINKING SHE COULD LEARN TO WORK WITH THAT FILL AMOUNT, GEEZ IT WAS HER FIRST ONE AND BESIDES, SHE WAS SO HAPPY SHE WAS LOSING WEIGHT. TODAY SHE'S A IN SIZE 14 FROM A 22 or 24 I'VE GOTTEN NOW.

MONTHS WENT BY AND WITH THAT CAME DAYS SANDY COULDN'T HARDLY EAT BUT SHE'D TRY AND SHE'D END UP OVER THE SINK. YES, IN MY OPINION SHE DIDN'T MAKE THE SMARTEST CHOICES WITH HER FOODS AND I TRIED, I DID, TO TALK WITH HER ABOUT WHAT “WE” SHOULD BE EATING, DRINKING 60 OZ OF WATER DAILY, GETTING OUR PROTEIN IN ETC. FINALLY IN DEC I TOOK HER UP TO ARLINGTON PHARMACY FOR AN UNFILL.

STILL SHE HAD PROBLEMS. NEVER LETTING THINGS HEAL, MAKING NOT THE BEST CHOICES IN FOODS. AGAIN THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINION I AM NOT IN THE MEDICAL FIELD. SHE'D CALL, I DON'T GET THIS BAND!!! AND I'D SAY WELL HON, MAYBE AT LUNCH YOU COULD

I'm sorry Pammie. This battle is very very emotional. You haven't caused this problem. It sounds like she's going to need more support than ever in the next few months. Thanks for the reminder also.

Judy

To be Banded June 6

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW:

GOSH, WHERE DO I EVEN START THIS EVENING? AS A LOT OF YOU KNOW, I WAS BANDED WITH A GIRLFRIEND IN AUG. 2006. I WAS THE ONE THAT LOOKED UP ALL THE INFORMATION FOUND THE DR, DID ALL THE EMAILING, DID ALL THE HOMEWORK ETC, SANDY WAS JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE. OH YEAH, SHE WANTED THE LAPBAND AND ALL BUT I GAVE HER ALL THE INFORMATION I HAD AND SHE RAN WITH IT.

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW:

GOSH, WHERE DO I EVEN START ......

Pam,

So sorry this happened to you and to someone so close to you and also so glad you have your feet on the ground. You are right this is a good lesson for all of us. If addiction doesn't get you one way it will try to suck you into its vicious circle in another. It is a potent and self-destructive power that never should be taken without due consideration. No matter who you are until you admit you are "Addicted" to food you will never be able to take in hand your thoughts and the addiction. Whenever I eat a meal an inner voice questions me saying "Are you eating to support the addiction or to live a balanced life?" I will always be a food addict in the same way an alcoholic needs alcohol. It is a day by day process where I have to hold myself accountable for my actions. No it isn't easy but it is worth it to save my life. Only when addiction is appraised in your mind as self destruction can one have the opportunity to choose life.

You sound like a friend we would all be fortunate to have!

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW:

GOSH, WHERE DO I EVEN START THIS EVENING? AS A LOT OF YOU KNOW, I WAS BANDED WITH A GIRLFRIEND IN AUG. 2006. I WAS THE ONE THAT LOOKED UP ALL THE INFORMATION FOUND THE DR, DID ALL THE EMAILING, DID ALL THE HOMEWORK ETC, SANDY WAS JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE. OH YEAH, SHE WANTED THE LAPBAND AND ALL BUT I GAVE HER ALL THE INFORMATION I HAD AND SHE RAN WITH IT.

WOW, WHAT A STORY, I'M SO SORRY FOR YOUR FRIEND AND ALSO FOR YOU, PERHAPS KNOWING THIS WILL HELP OTHER BANDERS FROM DISTTROYING THE BAND AND / OR EVEN THEMSELVES. I M GOING TO TJ AND WILL BE BANDED JUNE 11. READING YOURS AND OTHER STORY HAS MADE ME MORE AWARE OF HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO FOLLOW THE RULES THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. DAR

JUST MY POINT OF VIEW:

Oh my gosh! What a day for you Pammie, It is not your fault at all! we all have to make the right decisions for ourselfs and sometimes we dont, but we live and learn.

Thank you for the reminder! We have to follow the rules with the band!

What is the web site you posted those pic's?

Dear PAMMIE,

I am so sorry for your grief about your friend. It's not your fault. You did talk to here about the wrong choices she was making, but it is up to her to follow your advice AND the rules of the band. It is so sad that someone has to lose their band in this way. But, her life was more important if there was a choice between that and the band for sure.

This story and situation opens my eyes for a couple reasons. One being when someone I know and tell about the band and my experience at OCC that I'm concerned whether or not that person is serious enough about changing their life and eating habits to make it all worth it if they consider having the surgery. Second, I am one week away from starting solid foods and even though right now, given the chance at times, I could eat out of control, I am still scared about that first(whatever it may be), morsel of food that I have chewed to mush going down my throat. I know it will be trial and error, but I will always be reminded about the sad and scary stories people have told about their experiences with solid food.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I know it was hard for you, but you already knew that people need to know.

Peace and hugs,

Judy

Pammie,

You just have to know you tried to help Sandy. You are a great friend to her. It is great news she will be ok. It is all very emotional. Something you want so bad for yourself, you share with someone. It's hard enough to deal with your own band, and worrying about another's band is double the worry, because you'd like them to feel great too. I just pray you are not to hard on yourself. It is not your fault. Please know I am thinking of and praying for you both. Teri

THANKS GUYS :)

A FEW POSTS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

WE GET SO EXCITED ABOUT THE BAND AND TELL WONDERFUL STORIES OF HOW THIS IS HELPING US BECOME HEALTHIER PEOPLE BUT WILL THEY TAKE THE TIME IF THEY HAVE SURGERY TO DO WHAT THEY'RE TOLD? OR WILL THEY JUST SAY, OH, IT LOOKED SO EASY LOOKING AT IT FROM THE OUTSIDE

I'LL ALWAYS TELL THE UGLY SIDE WHEN BEING ASKED SERIOUSLY ABOUT IT

IT IS A LIFE STYLE CHANGE AND LIKE I THINK GREG SAID, YOU HAVE TO BE OPEN TO IT'S TEACHINGS

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=899 LINK TO PICTURES

Thank you Pammie so much for the wake up call and reminder. I sometimes forget and take way too big of a bite and PB immediately but i always think its ok since i have healed since my surgery last fall. Sandy's story is making me refocus on the basics and remind me a slip can happen at anytime to anyone! I hope she is doing better. Does she have any idea what she ate that actually caused the slip?

kim

Does she have any idea what she ate that actually caused the slip?

kim

NO, SHE'S GOT NO IDEA. SHE GOT UP SATURDAY MORNING, HAD A YOGURT, WHICH CAME UP, AND SHE KEPT THROW UP ALL DAY. BUT PERSONALLY I THINK IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR AWHILE NOW. I'M SURE A DR WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL FROM THE PICTURES.