I think I know where the pain is coming from?

#-o Well, updating my post from earlier about the sharp pain in my upper left side is finally diagnosed from myself. I think it's being caused by the medication I started taking a couple nights ago for my diabetes. I usually was taking one Metformin 500mg at night. I haven't taken it since my surgery day which has been two weeks now. Well, that sharp pain, thinking it was a misplaced gas bubble went away and then came back this morning. I believe it has something to do with that medication. It is the only thing I have taken or done differently since surgery. I will stop taking it and see what happens. I sooo wish I could stay regular with my bowels though...that is still bugging me and I don't want to have to take that dumb laxative syrup so often. Will it get better when I am on solids? I hope so! ;)

If anyone else has suggestion or replies, I thank you!

Peace,

Judy

Hey Judy...

I think that it would probably be a good idea to call your doc. I'm not sure how your Metformin would cause you to have a sharp pain in your upper left side. I'm not a doctor, nor a Diabetes expert, but it just doesn't make any sense that a pill that lower's your insulin resistance (it's the generic for Glucophage, right?) would have anything to do with the pain your describing. Call your doctor. It's probably nothing major, but it will give you piece of mind.

Also, just a quick question...but has your blood sugar been low enough post surgery that you didn't have a need to start up on the Metformin until now? Just curious about the need for either diabetic or HBP meds post-surgery.

Take Care,

Lili

Hey Judy...

I think that it would probably be a good idea to call your doc. I'm not sure how your Metformin would cause you to have a sharp pain in your upper left side. I'm not a doctor, nor a Diabetes expert, but it just doesn't make any sense that a pill that lower's your insulin resistance (it's the generic for Glucophage, right?) would have anything to do with the pain your describing. Call your doctor. It's probably nothing major, but it will give you piece of mind.

Also, just a quick question...but has your blood sugar been low enough post surgery that you didn't have a need to start up on the Metformin until now? Just curious about the need for either diabetic or HBP meds post-surgery.

Take Care,

Lili

Hi Lili,

Thanks for the suggestion and the concern. I didn't need the med post-surgery, but I don't check my blood sugar much and when I have, it is well within range at the bottom end. So, I guess I don't need it. I was thinking that taking because I thought I should made my pancreas become upset or something and that was causing the pain. I did stop taking it and the pain pretty much went away, but last night I had like a dull ache in the same place, and wasn't sure why, but it never got bad and then was gone.

Yes, I guess I should consult the doctor, but would that be my doctor or Dr. Ortiz? Not sure.

Peace,

Judy

Judy

I had a pain in my left side in my back..it wasn't bad enough where I wanted to go to the doctor...but it did ach for a long time. I started to take the naproxin for the iv problem and it stoped as long as I took the naproxin. When the med would ware off I would start getting that nagging pain. This is what I have concluded.it's the stomach..it was when I would drink to much or had not eaten in a long time my stomach would be growling. Yesterday was the first day I didn't noticed the pain. Today there is still no pain with no naproxin. I thought several times about calling Doctor Ortiz because it was aching so bad..but then it would go away. So I believe the stomach is finally recovering and the muscles are relaxing. I will ask when I get my fill.

Thanks

Nicole

Hi Lili,

Thanks for the suggestion and the concern. I didn't need the med post-surgery, but I don't check my blood sugar much and when I have, it is well within range at the bottom end. So, I guess I don't need it. I was thinking that taking because I thought I should made my pancreas become upset or something and that was causing the pain. I did stop taking it and the pain pretty much went away, but last night I had like a dull ache in the same place, and wasn't sure why, but it never got bad and then was gone.

Yes, I guess I should consult the doctor, but would that be my doctor or Dr. Ortiz? Not sure.

Peace,

Judy

Hey Judy...

I would call my regular M.D. and not Dr. Ortiz. He would have a better idea of your current and prior medical history vs. Dr. O. Actually, I'm not sure what insurance you have, but it might be a good idea to have a physical done so that you can get an idea of how your blood work comes out. That is so great that your sugars been low enought that you haven't had a need for any of your diabetic meds. Anyway, back to your immediate issue--whether you get a physical or not, getting blood work would probably be a good way to go. I'm a fan of getting to the bottom of things. It's an annoying trait (as far as my hubby's concerned) but it's just that I don't like to be left wonderring. :D

It's late in the day...but I hope you got a chance to talk to your doc. Let me know what happens.

-Lili