If you were going to PB or worse...when?

I knew I couldn't trust myself yet. I have been good about chewing on something and spitting it out, but tonight, I took a soft piece of chicken in my mouth and chewed it up and it nearly melted in my mouth and I swallowed it by accident. Talk about stress and panic!

If I was going to PB or worse(vomit), when would that happen? It has been about 10 minutes now and my stomach just started growling real loud. LOL I am 5 days away from getting on solid food. OOPS! I am freaking out here!

Any advice or suggestions would be great to ease my mind. Thanks!

Peace,

Judy

I knew I couldn't trust myself yet. I have been good about chewing on something and spitting it out, but tonight, I took a soft piece of chicken in my mouth and chewed it up and it nearly melted in my mouth and I swallowed it by accident. Talk about stress and panic!

If I was going to PB or worse(vomit), when would that happen? It has been about 10 minutes now and my stomach just started growling real loud. LOL I am 5 days away from getting on solid food. OOPS! I am freaking out here!

Any advice or suggestions would be great to ease my mind. Thanks!

Peace,

Judy

Hi Judy, usually if you are going to PB you probably would have within the 10 minutes and you would feel severe pain, at least thats how it happens for me. I hope you are ok, seeing how it is after 10pm now.

Judy............

How come I get the news last? Sorry you were freaking out hon.............. WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT eating and spitting food out anyways? :blink: That sounds crazy! Hee hee............ Chicken that melts in your mouth? Hmmmm. We don't have it that good here.......I don't think I've ever made it that well!

So no PB? I'm hoping that it went smooth for ya! The growling when food gets there, is common with me also...........You are not alone there! It seems like you could have PB'd if it were a large chunk or not chewed well or to eat more than one. That was my case with the 'salad' part of potato salad. I ate the 'sediment' if you will~ and it backed up on me like a stopped up pipe..........too much or too fast ~ i just couldn't believe it! So I feel like I have 'food fear' as I don't want that to happen AGAIN....... Makes me very aware of who I am when I eat. SLOW IT DOWN needs to be my motto. Even if it's three bites of yellow colored sand that tasted like potato salad.......

Luv ya chickadee! ><'

email me today if u have time, sorry I didn't get your previous one!

ttys pdx band bud!

Cheryl

Dreamhappy,

I love your posts, I appreciate your honesty. After about a week of liquids, I wanted to chew on something, anything - I fell into a snack bag of potato chips, but instead of swallowing, I spit them out. I stood over the garbage in my kitchen chewing and spitting... my b/f came in and exclaimed, "What are you doing?" Up until his harsh question, I did not think there was anything wrong with what I was doing... after all I was satisfying a craving... a need to chew. Seems logical to me, perfectly normal. If you have an itch, scratch right? I told him I just need to chew on something... he appeared disgusted. As result, I felt a little sheepish. But hey.. seemed like a good thing at the time. He quickly reminded me I just spent thousands of dollars, and I should follow the plan...

So the question is: Is chewing and spitting ok? Below is a post I found on the internet, written by a Doctor:

"The simple answer is that the calories absorbed from chewing and spitting are negligible. Since food is not exposed to digestive enzymes of the gastrointestinal tract, fats, proteins and carbohydrates cannot be digested (broken down into small pieces) and therefore not absorbed. In fact, only an invert sugar like honey, which is predigested by the bee into glucose, could be absorbed through the tongue and contribute calories.

That said, the few calories that you would absorb by actually swallowing the bite are not the real problem. The greater concern and more important question is if chewing and spitting causes weight gain. This has a potentially more damaging explanation.

There are two phases of eating that precede absorption. They are referred to the

Oh, Judy!

Hon, you would have KNOWN beyond a shadow of a doubt if you were going to PB. You would have felt it instantly. It would kinda feel like a golf ball in a garden hose!! Your stoma being the garden hose. If you don't feel pain, then most likely everything is going on down! Try not to panic! This is easier than you think!

Banded-

Thanks for sharing that article. That was very interesting! I never thougt about the body's reaction to chewing and spitting!

Donna

Thanks so much all! ><' You are so good to me! I never PB'd and hope to never do.

Cheryl, I tried calling you last night when I was freaking out, but you weren't home or available and I survived...LOL To be honest, I almost wanted to push it a little more since I didn't PB, but my solid food date isn't until next week, so NO WAY! I did eat some SF applesauce today though. ;)

So, all is well now and I can't wait to see what else I can eat. hehe

Donna, I will have to remember that golf ball feeling you mentioned. I was actually waiting for the pain in the middle of my chest like I have read about. Never happened, but as freaked out and scared as I was, I probably could have made it happen...LOL I shouldn't be afraid of eating I know.

Banded, Thank you so much for that article. Every time, which was only a few times, that I chewed on something and spit it out, I was really starting to think that if I kept doing that, would I ever swallow food when the time came that I was supposed to. I also started thinking about this not being a healthy way to satisfy your taste buds. I was heading down an unhealthy way of eating and that article woke me up fast with a reality check for sure. Thanks again. :)

Katie, thanks so much for your concern. You were right that if it didn't happen in 10 minutes, it wasn't going to...LOL

Thank you all for your replies and help to me when I was so scared. ><'

Peace and Big Hugs,

Judy

So the question is: Is chewing and spitting ok?

This is the first time I have seen chewing and spitting discussed, and I'm glad that we're talking about it. I did it when my band was too tight. I haven't had the urge since I got unfilled from 2.75cc to 2.70cc. What a difference .05 cc's can make!

I was scared when I was chewing and spitting because I knew it was an eating-disorder behavior that could get out of hand. I wondered if any other bandsters were doing it. There is a show on A&E called "Intervention" where the camera crew literally follows an addict (of any kind) around. The addict thinks he/she has agreed to be a part of a documentary on addiction. Unbeknownst to the addict, he/she faces an intervention at the end of the show. Well, one of the shows was about this gal with an eating disorder that chewed and spit. She was so obsessed with chewing and spitting that she rarely swallowed any food at all, and she was dangerously thin. She would wait until her husband went to bed and then she would chew and spit all night long while watching T.V. The girl lived a totally isolated life that revolved around secret eating (that is, secret chewing and spitting). She was HOOKED. I'm sure that she never thought it would get that out of control when she first started doing it. So I would caution anyone that does it to stop altogether. After seeing that show, it's not worth the possibility of getting HOOKED. You might be trading isolating because you're too fat, to isolating to chew and spit in secret. Just my opinion. Rachelle

Thanks so much all! ><' You are so good to me! I never PB'd and hope to never do.

Cheryl, I tried calling you last night when I was freaking out, but you weren't home or available and I survived...LOL To be honest, I almost wanted to push it a little more since I didn't PB, but my solid food date isn't until next week, so NO WAY! I did eat some SF applesauce today though. ;)

So, all is well now and I can't wait to see what else I can eat. hehe

Donna, I will have to remember that golf ball feeling you mentioned. I was actually waiting for the pain in the middle of my chest like I have read about. Never happened, but as freaked out and scared as I was, I probably could have made it happen...LOL I shouldn't be afraid of eating I know.

Banded, Thank you so much for that article. Every time, which was only a few times, that I chewed on something and spit it out, I was really starting to think that if I kept doing that, would I ever swallow food when the time came that I was supposed to. I also started thinking about this not being a healthy way to satisfy your taste buds. I was heading down an unhealthy way of eating and that article woke me up fast with a reality check for sure. Thanks again. :)

Katie, thanks so much for your concern. You were right that if it didn't happen in 10 minutes, it wasn't going to...LOL

Thank you all for your replies and help to me when I was so scared. ><'

Peace and Big Hugs,

Judy

Chewing and spitting is not good but I have done so only the few times I've tried to eat beef. I receive a reverse adjustment, 3cc to 2cc and can eat just about anything but beef.

I was lap banded 10-9-06 and have lost about 60 lbs.

When the doc took me from 2.8cc to 3cc, it was so good. I just wasn't hungry and when I was I was easly satisified with semi-liquids. I then lost 11 pounds in 14 days, then I ate something during the night and it did not go down for 3 days until I went to the doc and that's when he did the reverse adjustment.

• 6 months later...