Scared of solids leading to old eating patterns.

NoWorry

I've just finished my three weeks of liquids and tested my level of restriction with a pretty sizeable meal and it all slid down exactly the same as before my surgery. So obviously my band is not causing any restriction at this point. Now I have to wait 3 weeks until my fill (and before my band can start assisting me with my weight loss).

So what to eat during this period? I don't think I can handle regular dieting (e.g. eating Lean Cuisine meals). Quite frankly, if I could, I would never have needed the band in the first place. And I'm really worried about slipping into my old habits of eating bad choices, eating too much and eating too fast. Then I'll only have to retrain myself all over again after the fill. Right now, I'm in a pleasant groove created by the pre-op and post-op liquid diets.

Yeah, I'd love some 'real' food, but having done without carbs for over a month, I've kicked my carb addiction for the time being. If I start eating carbs and the carb cravings start, I can see myself rapidly falling back into the old patterns. The only real solution I can see is to stay on liquids (protein shakes, broths, jello, soups) until the fill.

Has anyone come up with another solution?

I've just finished my three weeks of liquids and tested my level of restriction with a pretty sizeable meal and it all slid down exactly the same as before my surgery. So obviously my band is not causing any restriction at this point. Now I have to wait 3 weeks until my fill (and before my band can start assisting me with my weight loss).

So what to eat during this period? I don't think I can handle regular dieting (e.g. eating Lean Cuisine meals). Quite frankly, if I could, I would never have needed the band in the first place. And I'm really worried about slipping into my old habits of eating bad choices, eating too much and eating too fast. Then I'll only have to retrain myself all over again after the fill. Right now, I'm in a pleasant groove created by the pre-op and post-op liquid diets.

Yeah, I'd love some 'real' food, but having done without carbs for over a month, I've kicked my carb addiction for the time being. If I start eating carbs and the carb cravings start, I can see myself rapidly falling back into the old patterns. The only real solution I can see is to stay on liquids (protein shakes, broths, jello, soups) until the fill.

Has anyone come up with another solution?

I felt the same way over this past weekend. I also have the VG band and it seems to be wide open to take food in. But, I make sure if I eat a meal, it is on a little plate and not a full plate. So far so good. But, I unfortunately found myself grazing a little which I felt bad about. I live with my mom and brother and they are not obese and can eat whatever they want, so there are cookies and cake around at times. I have read over and over again that the junk food seems to go down easy and yes, I had a cookie or two, but no cake or other junk food. Still testing the waters with nutritious food. Need to start on those veggies too.

Yes, I am worried about gaining any weight back. So, I try very hard to make good food decisions which isn't always easy with the foods you used to love are staring you in the face. ;) Can't wait for that good restriction that will surely help me behave and be stronger over which foods I want to eat.

Try not to stress too much over it. Everyone told me I would probably gain EVERYTHING back during this period, but I was DETERMINED that I was not going to put it back on, and have to lose it again! I did a lot of salads with grilled chicken, and vinagrette dressings.(that's low carb) I also drank a LOT of that Diet Lipton White Raspberry tea. It seems to stay so COLD, and it goes down easy! But, for the most part, I still ate what I wanted to. I just chewed it so much, and ate so slowly, that I became full sooner. I think just having the band sitting there on your stomach makes you feel full a little faster. Not restricion, but just having something wrapped around the upper part of your stomach. It may not be that way for everyone, but it somehow made me AWARE of what I was eating, or how I was eating.

I actually lost a few pounds before my first fill, so I was VERY happy! Just watch you weight (daily), and eat slowly. If you put on a couple of pounds, maybe take a diuretic, and most likely you will see it's JUST water! Also, the tea serves as a natural diuretic, if you like to drink it. The green tea with citrus is also good, and also comes in diet. Whatever you do drink a lot! Crystal Light, ( I get the Wal-Mart version, more flavors, and cheaper) is good, or your own home brewed tea, or just plain water! Keep hydrated. You'll be OK! Everyone goes through this fear of gaining weight, in the lull between liquids, and fill. It's normal, but even if you do gain back a couple of pounds, it will come back off!

Donna

How are you handling not drinking anything during and after your meals? It feels terribly unnatural to me.

That's the hard part! :(( At least it is for me anyway. I have always had to have a SUPER cold drink, while I'm eating. After, I started on solids again, I just couldn't do it! I started drinking with my food. After I got my fill, I finally broke the habit. There is a NOTICEABLE difference in how soon you get full when drinking with meals as opposed to NOT.

If you get any restriction with your first fill, you will notice it. It does seem to "wash things down." I try to drink a LOT before I eat now. Something REALLY cold! Then I eat slowly, and I get full MUCH sooner. It may be different for everyone else, but since I've gotten a fill, I don't feel like I NEED a drink with my meals, as bad as before. Maybe it's my subconcious, trying to keep me from sabotaging myself, I don't know! LOL

Just take it slow. If you can't give up drinks cold turkey, try to wean off slowly. Dr. Miranda told me another thing to try, and it sometimes helps. If you are eating, and feel like you've just GOTTA have a drink, suck on an ice cube. Helps a little, and doesn't allow you enough water to wash stuff down. <_<

If you watch a naturally thin person eat (and you can stop yourself from smacking the skinny... well you know) you'll notice that they don't drink much while they eat. When you have the band the reasons for not drinking while you are eating is fairly obvious, but the other side of that is, band or no band, when you drink a lot while you are eating you are diluting the food and it processes through your system faster... you get hungry sooner. I truly believe the band teaches us to eat the way we should have been eating all along. Chew your food well, slow down and don't drink while you are eating.

It was a habit I really had to work hard at changing! If I'm at a restaurant I try to drink my water before my meal comes. I may take a small sip during my meal but otherwise, I don't drink at all until an hour after I've eaten. Now its just second nature. There are times, special occasions when I'm out, that I might order a drink with dinner - like wine or a margarita, then i'll have that - but that is rare.

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I have one week to go before my first fill, and I plan to use that time to start developing the habit. So far, I've only tried it intermittently, but I think if I try it continuously for a week, I might get a good head start. Strange, but I often used to use the gas from a big Diet Coke assist in helping fill me up during a meal or when I get a mid-day craving. That's going to be a hard habit to break with the 'no carbonation' rule.

I like the ice cube tip. I'll keep that in mind. Although the margarita/red wine approach sounds like a lot more fun! :lol: Just kidding. But the idea of taking a sip of water before starting to eat sounds like a good starting point.

• 4 weeks later...