Homeland Security announced today that U.S. citizens traveling

to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied

for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily

enter and depart from the United States by air with a government

issued photo identification and Department of State official proof

of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The

federal government is making this accommodation for air travel

due to longer than expected processing times for passport

applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

Unless this has changed...I was told that you could cross over to Tijuana, and back with just a drivers liscense or a birth certificate, until January 2008.

This could have changed though. I went in April. This is not flying into Mexico, though. Flying to San Diego, and walking over, so that may be the difference!

Donna

Unless this has changed...I was told that you could cross over to Tijuana, and back with just a drivers liscense or a birth certificate, until January 2008.

This could have changed though. I went in April.

Donna

Donna, You are right! This travel update specifically deals with "Air Travel" in to and out of Mexico for which you did need a passport and now this regulation has been rescinded due to the backlog in passport applications.

This could have changed though. I went in April. This is not flying into Mexico, though. Flying to San Diego, and walking over, so that may be the difference!

Donna

That is correct - DL works just fine for traveling by foot or car and I've heard the Jan 2008 date may be extended.

Seriously, how lazy are Americans when we've known for 3 years we needed passports and everyone's waiting until the last 6 months? ;)