eating for comfort not anymore

Hi

This is the first time I have used anything like this...

I am due for surgery on June 26th. I am scared and excited at the same time. I have so many questions to ask but the big one is how to deal with the emotional cravings? All my life I have eaten for comfort. Once I have the surgey I will no longer be able to turn to food. What do I turn to? :-?

My story - I am 33, 95kg, BMI 36, live in Australia and hit rock bottom as far as self respect and self esteem goes. I know this is not a miracle cure but it's the kick in the backside I need to help me find my smile again.

What is it like when you wake up from surgey?

Hi

This is the first time I have used anything like this...

I am due for surgery on June 26th. I am scared and excited at the same time. I have so many questions to ask but the big one is how to deal with the emotional cravings? All my life I have eaten for comfort. Once I have the surgey I will no longer be able to turn to food. What do I turn to? :-?

My story - I am 33, 95kg, BMI 36, live in Australia and hit rock bottom as far as self respect and self esteem goes. I know this is not a miracle cure but it's the kick in the backside I need to help me find my smile again.

What is it like when you wake up from surgey?

Zees,

Good for you to be willing to go to any lengths to live a healthier life. When I woke up from surgery I got afraid because of the effects of the anesthesia. I was very sleepy, but when I would drift off, I would forget to breath so I would wake up gasping for air. This went on for about five hours, and was very frightening to me because I was not expecting this. The nurses mentioned that it was probably the effects of the anesthesia, but they weren't as reassuring as I needed them to be. As soon as I got past that, the rest of my recovery was relatively easy. No worries. Blessings to you on your surgery. Since you are from Australia, where are you having your surgery?

LaDonna

Zees,

Good for you to be willing to go to any lengths to live a healthier life. When I woke up from surgery I got afraid because of the effects of the anesthesia. I was very sleepy, but when I would drift off, I would forget to breath so I would wake up gasping for air. This went on for about five hours, and was very frightening to me because I was not expecting this. The nurses mentioned that it was probably the effects of the anesthesia, but they weren't as reassuring as I needed them to be. As soon as I got past that, the rest of my recovery was relatively easy. No worries. Blessings to you on your surgery. Since you are from Australia, where are you having your surgery?

LaDonna

To a great extent you have to change your bad food habits and that will be easier to do once you are not hungry. We all make bad food choices but hopefully they will be less and less.

The lap band is only a tool to help you, you have to make a committment to change the way you eat. But don't worry, you will learn what works and what does not learn. I'm still learning and I was banded Oct 2006. My big problem is portion control. I want to eat more that I need and then my belly hurts so it's still a learning process.

You will do well =D>

Once I have the surgey I will no longer be able to turn to food. What do I turn to? :-?

That's such a terrific and really important question. When I quit smoking years ago, I had to learn what to do with my hands and my mouth, in addition to just dealing with the cravings.

For weight loss, I started by making a list of all the other things that bring me pleasure. Talking to family, friends; watching a favorite movie; having a hot cup of tea; taking a half hour break to read a book; going out to visit with friends; walking the dog; going for a swim; messaging on line; believe it or not, even chores can work like mow the lawn, do the laundry, because it takes my mind off the food.

I have a list posted on my fridge where I can't miss it. I usually pick one and print it out as a banner: "Go to the park" and also put it on the fridge. It's not foolproof, but it works quite frequently. And when I do give in to temptation, I find that it takes less to satisfy me. These days, a bowl of melon is a huge treat where in the past I might have gone for a handful of cookies. Or SF, FF Jello Instant Pudding instead of ice cream.

When I woke up from surgery, I was dopey and lethargic, but very comfortable. I just drifted in and out of sleep. It was not at all an unpleasant experience. In retrospect, I wish I had taken my own pillow. I usually take it with me when I'm staying at a hotel, but for whatever reason, I forgot about it. It adds an additional level of comfort and familiarity. When the nurse came to take my vitals and tell me it was time to walk, her timing was impeccable and I was ready for it. Even though I have sleep apnea, and I did not put on my mask, I did not have the gasping experience that Rachelle had.