FDA Looks for Candidates for Adolescent Lap Band Surgery Trial

By First Coast News Staff

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The FDA is conducting an adolescent lap band trial that provides free lap band surgeries for overweight teenagers in five states, including Florida. There will be 25 surgeries in each state.

Usually Insurance companies do not cover this type of surgery for teenagers under the age of 18.

The FDA is now giving free lap band surgeries to teens under 18 to see how effective they can really be. The idea is to possibly turn insurance companies around to pay for these lap band surgeries in children 14 to 17 years old.

The FDA is looking for adolescents to participate in the lap band study; each participant will get a lap band surgery at no cost.

If anyone is interested in applying, contact JACKSONVILLE SURGICAL ASSOCIATES the number is 904-399-4004. Ask for Jody Debord.

To be accepted in the study, teens have to be between the ages of 14 and 17 and they have to be at least 100 pounds overweight.

Created: 6/15/2007 4:19:37 PM Updated: 6/15/2007 4:56:43 PM

By First Coast News Staff

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The FDA is conducting an adolescent lap band trial that provides free lap band surgeries for overweight teenagers in five states, including Florida. There will be 25 surgeries in each state.

Usually Insurance companies do not cover this type of surgery for teenagers under the age of 18.

The FDA is now giving free lap band surgeries to teens under 18 to see how effective they can really be. The idea is to possibly turn insurance companies around to pay for these lap band surgeries in children 14 to 17 years old.

The FDA is looking for adolescents to participate in the lap band study; each participant will get a lap band surgery at no cost.

If anyone is interested in applying, contact JACKSONVILLE SURGICAL ASSOCIATES the number is 904-399-4004. Ask for Jody Debord.

To be accepted in the study, teens have to be between the ages of 14 and 17 and they have to be at least 100 pounds overweight.

Created: 6/15/2007 4:19:37 PM Updated: 6/15/2007 4:56:43 PM

My goodness this is exactly what I have been trying to find out about. I seen a post on another forum of a 16 year old having this done and asked how she came into contact with someone to help her achieve this. I live in Iowa ans have a 15 (16 in 2 months) old daughter who is 110 lbs over weight and we are desperately trying to have her banded in the states. I myself am awaiting insurance approval for my band right now. Can you tell me how to get more information about this and is Iowa one of the 5 states? Please let me know. Maybe there is hope for her right now as well.

Thank you so much.

Jacklie

EMAIL FOR INFORMATION IS ON THE LINK I POSTED. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED :)

Location and Contact Information

Please refer to this study by ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00447590

Allergan Medical devicetrials@allergan.com

United States, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois, United States; Recruiting

Study chairs or principal investigators

EMAIL FOR INFORMATION IS ON THE LINK I POSTED. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED :)

Location and Contact Information

Please refer to this study by ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00447590

Allergan Medical devicetrials@allergan.com

United States, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois, United States; Recruiting

Study chairs or principal investigators

WHERES MY FAKE ID?!!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have emailed allergen about the trials. I followed the link on the clinical trials and have emailed them 2 times now and still have heard nothing. I am NOT giving up though. I will keep updating anything I hear. Thanks everyone. ><'