Weight Loss??

I had my surgery on 9/16 with Dr. Ortiz, and I have been RELIGIOUS with the liquid diet... I spoke to Dr. Martinez on the 7th day after surgery and he told me that I could begin to add yogurts and liquid protein because I got very dizzy while driving... ever since day 8, the diet has not been as hard... easy, no, but not impossible... So 2 weeks to my surgery day and I go in and weigh myself and Ive lost 1.5 lbs... yes, you read that right! To say that I am beside myself with disappointment is an understatement... I figured that in a best case scenario I'd have lost like 10 lbs... in a worst case maybe 5, but a pound and a half???!! I find it hard to believe that water retention could account for a lack of weight loss... most people I've read on this and other boards show more of a weight loss than this.

I had been weight training 2ce a week and spinning 4 times a week for the 18 months prior to surgery, so I know that even when I just do cardio, I begin to build muscle... so I havent been doing any cardio since surgery because I didnt want muscle building to interfere with seeing a difference on the scale... at least not at the beginning. Plus, I usually take a break from all exercise for one month a year to give my body a rest, and I figured that this would be a good month, then I'd go back to it when I begin back on solids.

I am beside myself and wonder what the hell is wrong with me... Im going to put a call into the doctors office once they open today, but at the moment I feel completely deflated.

Kyle

Hey Kyle! Remember Me? im Jackie the one that got the surgery on the same day as you! Yup i guess we are Band BuddieS or surgery buddies hehe iono! hey dont feel bad! the first week after my surgery i gained 5 lbs! can u believe it! and i was on the liquids ..and folllowed it strictly! but it was because i was on my period?!?! maybe thats you too?!? i dunno. A lot of people have told me that this stage isnt really for weightloss. Its just so that the band can heal. Also they have said that anyweight you do loose now is just bonus. The real weight loss begins after ur fill =) dont be bummed out! I have a good feeling about this! Its gonna work I promise.! for both of uS! we both have to remain optimistic! i actually wasnt hungry the first week...but these past few days i have had mental hunger...craving foodS! gRR! its okay ! We both have one more week left exactly! and then i could actually eat again! i never in my life imagined i could go this long without eating food food! its wierd! hehe well keep in touch! we must support each other!! hehe

hope you feel better

-Jackie

Don't worry, you're barely a week out. As everyone says and I'll say it again, the 1st 6 weeks are a healing time and I lost very little during the 1st week. In fact I gained a few lbs and by week 2 I slowly slipped a few lbs. It gets easier when you start seeing results, and it's hard to be patient when you undergo surgery you want immediate results, but, it doesn't happen overnight. Be patient, stick to your diet and the weight will start melting off! And remember too, your body will reach a kind of plateau (mine did at 3 weeks) where I lost nothing at all. Then by week 4 to present it's a couple lbs every few days. Every body is different so everyone will lose at a different pace. After you get your first fill, I'm told it will provide more restriction (I'm 5 weeks out and I have my 1st fill next week - right now I'm eating about 3/4 of what I ate pre-band.) So, don't get discouraged k? :)

Some gain, some lose, some lose little. It varies so much person to person. Another thing you must remember that you are weighing yourself on a totally different scale than the one at the center. From my house, my mom's house, Dr. Ortiz's office, my doc's office I get 4 different weights. No worries, it will all happen soon!

Hey Not to worry..this band is for a life time..the first 6 weeks is NOT about weight loss, it is about healing. The band is designed to work best with fills, you have no fills yet so it is normal if you do not see any weight loss, any weight loss during the first 6 week is an added bonus. If you know you are doing everything right, the rest will happen, be patient...just keep doing what you are doing and you will see results...hang in there :)