What to expect... ?

Hi everybody.

I'm scheduled to be banded on November 10; I've read Dr. Ortiz' website, and most of the other sites as well, but I still have some questions for you all:

1. How closely did you follow your pre-op diet?

2. Did anything unexpected happen? If you could go back in time, what is the one thing you know now that you wish you had known back then? Any advice as far as what to bring, what to expect, etc?

3. If your BMI was less than 35 when you were banded, have you had any particular difficulties that a bigger person might not have had?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey, Mike. Congratulations on your decision to be banded.

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on July 5, 2005, and these answers apply to me, but may not turn out to apply to you.

I didn't have a pre-op diet, so didn't follow one at all. :D

As for the post-op diet, I followed it to the letter. I figured that since I was spending all this money on a lap-band, I might as well do it the right way.

Nothing unexpected happened to me. I anticipated the entire scenario. I took Gas-X and a heating pad with me, but didn't use them. I had no major post-op pain (the meds provided took care of it) and everything went according to plan.

Advice: I didn't know that the Hotel Lucerna had jello. The chicken broth there is excellent, but it would have been nice to have jello for a change (it's not on the menu). The major piece of advice I can provide is about CLIGHT, the Mexican Crystal Light powder. You can get it at the supermarket that is close to the hotel, and it costs about 30 cents per package, which makes 1.5 liters. They have more flavors than Crystal Light, and it's cheaper. I bought $10 worth of Clight when I had surgery, and more when I went back for a fill.

My BMI was 36, and I probably lost a little slower than those with higher BMI. But I'm almost four months away from surgery, and so far I've lost 44 pounds. Not bad, if I say so myself.

Good luck. Take something to read, because you spend a lot of time waiting.

Kathy