August Surgery Patients

Guest alohasuzi

:rolleyes:

WELL, I DID IT!! I'M 3 DAYS POST OP AND IT WAS A BREEZE! EVERYTHING WENT VERY SMOOTHLY-THERE WERE 5 OF US ON 8/23- THEY ARE SO WELL PREPARED AND HAVE THINGS DOWN TO A SCIENCE. EVERYONE IS VERY NICE AND TREATS YOU LIKE FAMILY. THE NURSES TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF YOU WHILE YOU ARE THERE. MRS. ORTIZ WAS ALSO VERY NICE AND HELPFUL. SO FAR, SO GOOD. I DO HAVE SOME GAS LEFT EVEN THOUGH WE WENT TO REVOLUTION AVE. AND WALKED THE NEXT DAY. MY SHOULDER STARTED HURTING SATURDAY MORNING AND IS STILL A LITTLE PAINFUL. STOMACH AREA JUST A LITTLE SORE, BUT NOTHING THROUGHOUT THE EXPERIENCE HURT LIKE CRAZY. LIKE I SAID, JUST SOME SORENESS. I'M ON CHICHEN BROTH, CRYSTAL LIGHT AND POPSICLES!! I AM HUNGRY, THOUGH THEY SAY FOR THE FIRST MONTH, YOU SHOULDN'T BE. I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN!!! I'LL KEEP THE UPDATES GOING!!! SUZANNE

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Anyone scheduled on August 24? My Mom and I are flying from Myrtle Beach, SC on August 23... surgery on the 24th! Looking forward to meeting and making some new friends!

Good Luck Everyone!

Dottie

Hi Dottie! I had surgery on the 23rd of Aug in TJ. My friend and I were sitting at the pool Friday night, the 24th, and we met your mom. What a great lady. She told us jokes and told us about her experience with her weight and some post surgeries that she had after. Good luck to you and tell your mother that my friend and I thought she was hilarious!!

Chrissy M.

:rolleyes:

WELL, I DID IT!! I'M 3 DAYS POST OP AND IT WAS A BREEZE! EVERYTHING WENT VERY SMOOTHLY-THERE WERE 5 OF US ON 8/23- THEY ARE SO WELL PREPARED AND HAVE THINGS DOWN TO A SCIENCE. EVERYONE IS VERY NICE AND TREATS YOU LIKE FAMILY. THE NURSES TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF YOU WHILE YOU ARE THERE. MRS. ORTIZ WAS ALSO VERY NICE AND HELPFUL. SO FAR, SO GOOD. I DO HAVE SOME GAS LEFT EVEN THOUGH WE WENT TO REVOLUTION AVE. AND WALKED THE NEXT DAY. MY SHOULDER STARTED HURTING SATURDAY MORNING AND IS STILL A LITTLE PAINFUL. STOMACH AREA JUST A LITTLE SORE, BUT NOTHING THROUGHOUT THE EXPERIENCE HURT LIKE CRAZY. LIKE I SAID, JUST SOME SORENESS. I'M ON CHICHEN BROTH, CRYSTAL LIGHT AND POPSICLES!! I AM HUNGRY, THOUGH THEY SAY FOR THE FIRST MONTH, YOU SHOULDN'T BE. I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN!!! I'LL KEEP THE UPDATES GOING!!! SUZANNE

Hey Suzanne! I'm doing great! I have a little soreness around the port, but overall no pain. I am living on chix broth, crystal light, and popsicles also. I've had to have a little help at home with my 4 month old. I'm a little tender picking her up out of the crib. By the way, I LOVE ALL OF MY PURSES!!!!!!!!!

Christina

Hey Suzanne! I'm doing great! I have a little soreness around the port, but overall no pain. I am living on chix broth, crystal light, and popsicles also. I've had to have a little help at home with my 4 month old. I'm a little tender picking her up out of the crib. By the way, I LOVE ALL OF MY PURSES!!!!!!!!!

Christina Hello Girls, it was so great meeting you this week. seems longer doesn't it? I have the gas, hunger pains, and itchy stomach, but just sticking to popsicles, crystal light, and the broth too. still hungry. just fixed hubby BBQ pork, beans from garden, and baked spud, and I just sucked up the smell for my dinner. my flight was delayed 2 hrs and when I got to san fran they said I had 6 minutes to make it to my flight. well my fat sore body didn't run fast enough (even though you think as much gas as I had would of helped) I missed my flight, and had to wait 4 more hours for another. I got home after 10:30pm. keep in touch. Christina, wished I could of shopped with you, sounds like you had fun. Sonjia

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dottie! I had surgery on the 23rd of Aug in TJ. My friend and I were sitting at the pool Friday night, the 24th, and we met your mom. What a great lady. She told us jokes and told us about her experience with her weight and some post surgeries that she had after. Good luck to you and tell your mother that my friend and I thought she was hilarious!!

Chrissy M.

Hi Chrissy,

Sorry that I didn't get the chance to meet you. My Mom said she had a great time talking with you. I am two weeks post-op and doing well. I have had my up days and down days... but, overall good! One more week to go before solids... can't wait! How are you doing? Everybody at OCC was absolutely fantastic! Please feel free to email or call if you would like to talk or share! My email is scubadot@gmail.com or you can call at 843-390-0393

Good luck to the both of us!

Dottie

Guest alohasuzi

HI ALL! I WAS OUT OF TOWN FOR A WHILE. I MUST ADMIT TO HAVING SOME "MUSHY" FOODS WHILE I WAS GONE(MASHED POTATOES, MACARONI & CHEESE) BUT SO FAR SO GOOD!! TOMORROW IS THE DAY FOR REAL FOOD!!! HOW EXCITING!! I GUESS I'VE LOST ABOUT 10 POUNDS SINCE SURGERY.ALTOUGH EVERYONE'S SCALE IS DIFFERENT. HOPE ALL MY 8/23 FELLOW BANDSTERS ARE DOING WELL!! LET ME KNOW!! SUZANNE

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alohasuzi

Well, it's me again!! I'm getting my first fill this weekend (Sat 10/13). I can't wait! My appetite this past week has been just like pre-op and it has me worried!! Hopefully the fill will stop it in it's tracks!! Hey girls from 8/23! How are you all doing? I'd love to hear from you!! My home e-mail is sgduvall@cox.net; my home phone is (619) 216-7585. Keep in touch!! Suzanne

I know you're out there.... c'mon August Surgery patients... let's hear from you!

I got my first fill last Friday. Did not go to Ortiz in TJ. My bad!!!!! #-o

I had a "blind" fill done locally because I was trying to save time and money rather than going to Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Dumb me!

First fill last Friday cost $300. And that was for a physician's assistant to do it!! Not even the doctor!!! When I first called the office about getting fills, I asked tons of questions, one was "how many fills has the doctor done?" Their answer: "thousands"... Hmmm, yet, I got a PA. Maybe the PA's been doing fills for years too, but I still think I'm being over-charged! ((He was very nice, I'm not putting him down for being a PA. I'm just shocked that I was charged so much and I never even met the doctor!!))1.5 cc was put in at first because I was asked if I wanted to be agressive and I said "yes". A drink of water got stuck, so .5 cc's taken out. Was STARVING all weekend, and no restriction.....

Flash forward 4 days to Tuesday. Went back to doctor for more... I was thinking .25 cc's or so... Ended up with another whole 1 cc!! Total = 2cc's. In the office, I felt fine. Water went down OK. Restricted, but not overly so. =D> Cost: Another $100!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

However, for the rest of the day, I wasn't able to swallow anything w/o PBing and sliming!! :( Now too restricted!! Can't even keep down water!!

So, yet ANOTHER appointment tomorrow (Wednesday) morning to take some out at a cost of $50 :angry: . Total thus far for first fill = $450, and not sure if they'll get it right this time!!!!!!!!!

So, who knows when this money pit and frustration will end!!?? When I first called this local doctor about fills, they told me the initial $300 was good for about 2 weeks of adjustments. LIARS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

They keep charging me every single time!!! Saying too many patients "abused" getting fills and unfilled for holidays etc, so they charge everytime now. OMG!! What idiots! THIS WAS MY FIRST FRIGGIN FILL!!!! And they told me $300 would cover adjusting it for a couple of weeks!!!! I'M PISSED!!!

((Side note, the PA was impressed that my Lap Band surgeon -Ortiz- was the author of LAP BAND FOR LIFE, because they recommend that book to their patients!!))

This is ridiculous!! I should have gone to Ortiz in the first place!!!!!! It would have cost $100 for him to do my fill using flouro x-ray, $140 for r/t plane ticket, $130 for Ortiz's driver to pick me up and drop me off from San Diego to TJ and $85 for one night in hotel room. Total = $455 for friendly professional people I know and trust!!!

Did I make a mistake? I don't know. But right now I'm kicking myself!! #-o

Just took a sip of water and PB'd it up and slimed!!! A SIP OF WATER!!!!!

I'll update tomorrow after my 3rd appointment. Maybe I'm just cranky because "Aunt Flow" just arrived today!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting weight: 7/01/2007; 235 lbs 33.7 BMI

Surgery weight: 8/13/2007; 224 lbs 32.1 BMI

Current weight: 10/09/2007; 204 lbs 29.3 BMI

Goal weight: May/1/2008; 159 lbs 22.8 BMI

1st fill: 10/05/07 1cc then 10/9/07 1cc = 2cc total OVER RESTRICTED!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got my first fill last Friday. Did not go to Ortiz in TJ. My bad!!!!! #-o

I had a "blind" fill done locally because I was trying to save time and money rather than going to Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Dumb me!

First fill last Friday cost $300. And that was for a physician's assistant to do it!! Not even the doctor!!! When I first called the office about getting fills, I asked tons of questions, one was "how many fills has the doctor done?" Their answer: "thousands"... Hmmm, yet, I got a PA. Maybe the PA's been doing fills for years too, but I still think I'm being over-charged! ((He was very nice, I'm not putting him down for being a PA. I'm just shocked that I was charged so much and I never even met the doctor!!))1.5 cc was put in at first because I was asked if I wanted to be agressive and I said "yes". A drink of water got stuck, so .5 cc's taken out. Was STARVING all weekend, and no restriction.....

Flash forward 4 days to Tuesday. Went back to doctor for more... I was thinking .25 cc's or so... Ended up with another whole 1 cc!! Total = 2cc's. In the office, I felt fine. Water went down OK. Restricted, but not overly so. =D> Cost: Another $100!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

However, for the rest of the day, I wasn't able to swallow anything w/o PBing and sliming!! :( Now too restricted!! Can't even keep down water!!

So, yet ANOTHER appointment tomorrow (Wednesday) morning to take some out at a cost of $50 :angry: . Total thus far for first fill = $450, and not sure if they'll get it right this time!!!!!!!!!

So, who knows when this money pit and frustration will end!!?? When I first called this local doctor about fills, they told me the initial $300 was good for about 2 weeks of adjustments. LIARS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

They keep charging me every single time!!! Saying too many patients "abused" getting fills and unfilled for holidays etc, so they charge everytime now. OMG!! What idiots! THIS WAS MY FIRST FRIGGIN FILL!!!! And they told me $300 would cover adjusting it for a couple of weeks!!!! I'M PISSED!!!

((Side note, the PA was impressed that my Lap Band surgeon -Ortiz- was the author of LAP BAND FOR LIFE, because they recommend that book to their patients!!))

This is ridiculous!! I should have gone to Ortiz in the first place!!!!!! It would have cost $100 for him to do my fill using flouro x-ray, $140 for r/t plane ticket, $130 for Ortiz's driver to pick me up and drop me off from San Diego to TJ and $85 for one night in hotel room. Total = $455 for friendly professional people I know and trust!!!

Did I make a mistake? I don't know. But right now I'm kicking myself!! #-o

Just took a sip of water and PB'd it up and slimed!!! A SIP OF WATER!!!!!

I'll update tomorrow after my 3rd appointment. Maybe I'm just cranky because "Aunt Flow" just arrived today!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting weight: 7/01/2007; 235 lbs 33.7 BMI

Surgery weight: 8/13/2007; 224 lbs 32.1 BMI

Current weight: 10/09/2007; 204 lbs 29.3 BMI

Goal weight: May/1/2008; 159 lbs 22.8 BMI

1st fill: 10/05/07 1cc then 10/9/07 1cc = 2cc total OVER RESTRICTED!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG! How horrible! I'm so sorry that your fill went so bad! I had mine last weekend by a Fill Center doc (I think she was actually a nurse practicioner), but she used fluoro and it went well. I think fluoro seems to be the difference in a lot of the stories I hear the don't seem to go well. You should make that doctor's office honor what they told you about the fill being good for two weeks. I certainly would try. Especially when they are doing it blindly!

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

~Lauren

OMG! How horrible! I'm so sorry that your fill went so bad! I had mine last weekend by a Fill Center doc (I think she was actually a nurse practicioner), but she used fluoro and it went well. I think fluoro seems to be the difference in a lot of the stories I hear the don't seem to go well. You should make that doctor's office honor what they told you about the fill being good for two weeks. I certainly would try. Especially when they are doing it blindly!

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

~Lauren

HI LAUREN...

I TRIED TO GET THE OFFICE THAT DID MY FILLS HONOR THE $300 FEE, BUT THEY DIDN'T. THEY TOOK OUT .25 cc TODAY AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!! I HOPE IT LASTS, AND I'M PRETTY SURE I'LL BE GOING TO ORTIZ FOR MY NEXT FILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

><'

I had my first fill on 10/6. I notice a difference but only slightly. It is weird because some days I feel like I can't eat anything and other days it is no problem.

I guess it is finally sinking in what everyone has been saying. It is only a tool not the total solution. DARN! I was hoping I would be the exception and I wouldn't have to do anything. I guess it is time to take things into my own hands. I am going to shoot for 2 pounds a week by really listening to my band and stopping when I am no longer hungry! I am also going to eat the protein first and not drink with meals. We shall see. This isn't as easy as I hoped it would be. But I WILL NOT waste my $8,500.00. My family made a tremendous sacrafice for me. I need to make it worth it.

Starting weight 240

Pre-Liquid Diet 233

Pre-Op 220

1 Week Post Op 217

First Fill 222

Today 220

Next Monday :) 218

I had my first fill on 10/6. I notice a difference but only slightly. It is weird because some days I feel like I can't eat anything and other days it is no problem.

I guess it is finally sinking in what everyone has been saying. It is only a tool not the total solution. DARN! I was hoping I would be the exception and I wouldn't have to do anything. I guess it is time to take things into my own hands. I am going to shoot for 2 pounds a week by really listening to my band and stopping when I am no longer hungry! I am also going to eat the protein first and not drink with meals. We shall see. This isn't as easy as I hoped it would be. But I WILL NOT waste my $8,500.00. My family made a tremendous sacrafice for me. I need to make it worth it.

Starting weight 240

Pre-Liquid Diet 233

Pre-Op 220

1 Week Post Op 217

First Fill 222

Today 220

Next Monday :) 218

I'm glad you feel better Kimmizing, even if they are charging you out the wazoo! ;) Keep us up on how you are feeling...

Kathy, sounds like you know what you are supposed to do. That's great! I'm right there with you, I was hoping to be the exception! Lol. Oh well, reality has set in for me and I've decided to do the work. I'm SO much less hungry than I've ever been on any fad diet, so that makes it a lot easier, but I still have to make good choices. One thing for certain, drinking with a meal makes all the difference in the world. I tried it the other day and the food went right through. I felt like a cheater and I don't like feeling that way. Yep, I gotta follow the rules!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

~Lauren