Wonderful recipe for after the first week post-op

Pam7/18/07

I am on my second day off of the clear liquids and I've been having Slim Fast and chicken broth, part of a Yoplait smoothie. SO, I decided to try something different, and use up the fresh brocolli and cauliflower I had in the fridge. Here is the recipe for the brocolli, cauliflower soup. Break up the veggies into a heavy saucepan with a lid (I had about 1/3 head of cauliflower and about the same amt of brocolli). Add about 1 1/2 cups water and some chicken boullion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 min till tender . Add 1 small cut up onion and 2 cloves garlic. Cook for another few minutes. Put all of this into the blender, add a tablespoon flour and a couple of cups of soy milk. Blend until VERY smooth. Put in saucepan and heat back up. I ended up having to add some more milk to thin mine so I could drink it. (My daughter left hers thick and put grated cheese in it. ) It was absolutely delicious and very filling. And I think it is pretty darn healthy too !!! Pam

• 2 weeks later...
I am on my second day off of the clear liquids and I've been having Slim Fast and chicken broth, part of a Yoplait smoothie. SO, I decided to try something different, and use up the fresh brocolli and cauliflower I had in the fridge. Here is the recipe for the brocolli, cauliflower soup. Break up the veggies into a heavy saucepan with a lid (I had about 1/3 head of cauliflower and about the same amt of brocolli). Add about 1 1/2 cups water and some chicken boullion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 min till tender . Add 1 small cut up onion and 2 cloves garlic. Cook for another few minutes. Put all of this into the blender, add a tablespoon flour and a couple of cups of soy milk. Blend until VERY smooth. Put in saucepan and heat back up. I ended up having to add some more milk to thin mine so I could drink it. (My daughter left hers thick and put grated cheese in it. ) It was absolutely delicious and very filling. And I think it is pretty darn healthy too !!! Pam

hi pam its only been a week 4 me since ive had my surgery,not even close 2 being off clear liquids, i am preparing myself 4 when i get off. your recipe sounds goods,but seeing how i dont eat cauliflower don you think your recipe would be with jus t brocolli alone,if not is there anything else you would suggest

hi pam its only been a week 4 me since ive had my surgery,not even close 2 being off clear liquids, i am preparing myself 4 when i get off. your recipe sounds goods,but seeing how i dont eat cauliflower don you think your recipe would be with jus t brocolli alone,if not is there anything else you would suggest

Diamonds, I have made up several different kinds of soup by now, I use whatever vegetable sounds good. I have used just brocolli, I have used asparagus, then one time tomatoes, oh and potatoes. I'm getting ready to make mushroom soup right now. All I do is saute onions and fresh garlic in a little olive oil, add whatever seasoning I want like even jalapeno pepper if I want it a little spicy. I put that in the blender till smooth. I cook the main vegetable just till tender then add it to the blender, blend till smooth with some fresh herbs if you have some, add some soy milk and/or regular milk, salt, pepper to taste. Every one I have tried has been really good. Oh usually I add some cooked potato just for a little thickness. Sometimes I have to blend it in batches because I make too much to fit in all at once.

Another one I made was gazpacho. I used tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, onion, fresh garlic, fresh basil, chives and parsley (I have those herbs in my garden), lemon juice, salt and pepper. I put all of that in the blender till smooth. All of it was raw and it was delicious. I even used it as a sauce on a chicken breast for my daughter and she loved it. I felt so healthy drinking it, it was like a homeade V8 juice.

In the mornings I use a scoop of Slimfast vanilla powder, a cup of frozen blueberries, or raspberries, strawberries, whatever berries, milk and blend till smooth. When you use frozen berries it takes the place of ice and boy is it delicious !!! I have used my blender more in the past couple of weeks than in the rest of my life combined !! Just start trying things, I don't think you can really mess it up. Let me know how it goes. Pam

• 4 weeks later...

That's close to the soups I make!! :P

Pretty much ANY veggies you like will work!! I use pumpkin, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, etc!! But instead of heavy cream I use cream cheese. Sooooooo good!!!!!

Got the recipe years ago from my mother-in-law. She 's Spanish and still lives Spain. It's great to go to the "old world" and come back with yummy recipes!! LOL