questions from a newbie

:blink: i have a couple of questions --- how soon after being banded will i be able to swallow pills again? i take medications for high blood pressure and am concerned about this. also, what is a vg band? is it different from a lap band?

When you go down for your surgery bring your pills with you and show them to Dr Ortiz. I think if you cut them up you should be fine but you may have to go off them for a couple of days. You can also ask the doctor who prescribed them to you and see if there is a liquid version you could take. A VG band is a larger type of lap-band. It holds more saline and is longer than the traditional band. The Dr will decide which type you need at the time of your surgery.

I took my medications with me and as gross as it sounds, chewed them up. I've bought a pill crusher since but I swear so many little bits get stuck in parts of it that I think the chewing worked better :) I also tried crushing them on the desk at the hotel with a drinking glass so I'm sure the staff figures I was doing cocaine in there ;)

CALL THE DOCTOR WHO PRESCRIBED THE MEDICATION TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN CRUSH/CUT IT! Also ask that doctor what the ramifications would be if you didn't take it for X number of days because it's something you shouldn't crush/cut. The prescribing doctor is really who you should talk to IMO.

Wow! :blink: I never thought about pills after LB!! I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia and mild depression, it's a time released capsule I think!! Can I take that after LB? I hear Cymbalta's a pain in the culo to wean off!! Anyone here on AD's? and if so, anyone on Cymbalta? Also, what about multi vitamins and herbs? The one's I take come in ginormous pill form!!