Fills in Canada (Winnipeg)

Hi there,

Congratulations on all your weight loss! I am just starting to look into having this procedure myself and since I will be self pay then it would definitely be cheaper in Mexico for the surgery itself. Are there any doctors in Canada (Winnipeg, MB) that do fills on patients of Dr Ortiz or am I going to have to factor in trips for fills which might make the cost closer to the 16k that I would have to pay here for the surgery. Anyone who has any info about this please let me know as I would like to get this process started asap. Thanks.

Karen

Hi there,

Congratulations on all your weight loss! I am just starting to look into having this procedure myself and since I will be self pay then it would definitely be cheaper in Mexico for the surgery itself. Are there any doctors in Canada (Winnipeg, MB) that do fills on patients of Dr Ortiz or am I going to have to factor in trips for fills which might make the cost closer to the 16k that I would have to pay here for the surgery. Anyone who has any info about this please let me know as I would like to get this process started asap. Thanks.

Karen

Karen, I don't know how much it costs for you to fly to Tijuana, from Kansas I am finding some flights in the $200-300 range (roundtrip), but I am definitely going back to Dr.Ortiz for my first fill, plus I just feel better having them check out my band to make sure everything is OK. (Plus I have decided to ask him if I can take a picture of him to show my friends back home- he is so HOT !!! :) But anyway, the other thing is from what Dr.Ortiz told me I'll only need 2 - 4 fills in my lifetime (and I think that's pretty typical). He charges $100 for fills I believe. I plan to arrive in Tijauana early enough to get my fill that first day, then stay the night at the hotel ($80.00). I figure if I get a late afternoon or early evening flight home that gives me at least 24 hours to make sure my fill is OK before leaving the area. Just don't get a Friday afternoon flight because I guess Friday and Saturday are the worst days to get back across the border, we waited in line almost 4 1/2 hours (it also had to do with the fact that we were in the clinic van, the van/bus line was barely creeping while all the other lanes were sailing right along). There is a cheap way to get from the airport to the hotel and back to which involves the trolley on the US side and a cab (cheap) in Mexico. Don't have the clinic provide your transportation for fills, too expensive, but of course for your surgery they provide free transportation. I believe you will be very happy with your decision to go with Dr.Ortiz as he is one of the pioneers in this field. I was extremely impressed with him, his staff and his clinic - they have this down to a tee and I would recommend them to anyone !! Pam

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately for me I have family that works in the airline industry and I can get a return flight to Canada for 300 - 400. So the only problem is the time it takes to fly and the stopover in Toronto both ways. I just see the people who have had repeated fills/unfills and worry about having to make many long trips.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...