Fill Science

Hello, everyone!

I was banded April 9th, and had my first fill May 25th - 1.7cc's.

I'm trying to determine if I need another fill or if I'm just being

impatient with the process.

I am eating very very well - mostly chicken, fish, vegetables and

fruit, with oatmeal for breakfast. I had a hard time adjusting after

my fill, and PB'ng is a huge issue -- mostly because I cannot always

remember to "chew to goo". I'm getting better - but chicken, especially,

must be mega=chewed. I have exercised every day since June 22nd -

and I drink between 80-90 ozs of water a day. I am physically smaller,

and am much tighter = but the scale will NOT move. In fact, it has not

moved in 3 weeks. I weighed 241 at decision time, 228 at surgery time,

and for the last 3 weeks, still weigh 215. I accept that I am building muscle

and that it weighs more than fat, but at some point, the scale's gotta move

down! So I'm really really frustrated. I also can eat a whole chicken breast

(a big one). So. Should I just keep plugging away, or should I get another

fill ? Thanks in advance -- it helps just to be able to "talk" to people who

understand. :blink:

Lisa

If you are pb'ing often you may want to try getting that under control first. By slowing down and learning to recognize your stopping point you will likely start taking in fewer calories. If that is not an often occurrence and you feel like you can eat just about anything, then it is probably time for a fill. Keep in mind that you are also starting at a lower bmi so the weight loss will not be as dramatic. Since I hit 225 it is like I am loosing a pound every two weeks. I know I just need to be patient.

Was that answer convoluted enough? There's good arguments for yes and there's good arguments for waiting so I'd advise you to give it another two weeks to loose something and then make an appointment.

If you are pb'ing often you may want to try getting that under control first. By slowing down and learning to recognize your stopping point you will likely start taking in fewer calories. If that is not an often occurrence and you feel like you can eat just about anything, then it is probably time for a fill. Keep in mind that you are also starting at a lower bmi so the weight loss will not be as dramatic. Since I hit 225 it is like I am loosing a pound every two weeks. I know I just need to be patient.

Was that answer convoluted enough? There's good arguments for yes and there's good arguments for waiting so I'd advise you to give it another two weeks to loose something and then make an appointment.

Thanks! No, it was a perfectly reasonable answer ! I thought the PB'ing was under control and it happened again 2 nights ago. I know I need to slow down - my life is insane and thats not going to

change any time soon. A lot of times I'm going Mach II with my hair on fire, and I find it hard to slow

down when I'm eating. Its been more of a struggle than I thought it would. I'll continue to eat well,

and exercise, and reassess --

Thanks a lot, Clynn !! I appreciate the encouragement !! ><'

A lot of times I'm going Mach II with my hair on fire, and I find it hard to slow

down when I'm eating.

LOL TO FUNNY

I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN BOTH KIDS HAD US RUNNING. SOCCER, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, GOLF, DANCE TEAM, CHEER, DANCE, IT WAS ALWAYS SOMETHING.

ENJOY THE DAYS, THEY GO BY TO FAST :)

LOL TO FUNNY

I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN BOTH KIDS HAD US RUNNING. SOCCER, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, GOLF, DANCE TEAM, CHEER, DANCE, IT WAS ALWAYS SOMETHING.

ENJOY THE DAYS, THEY GO BY TO FAST :)

Hey, Pammie! I can't imagine having kids !!! I'm too busy and can't do everything I need to

do - if I had kids that would be a completely different life !! I'm just immersed in work (a project

I've been anticipating for 10 years, so its not like I didnt know it was coming !) And I'm personally

moving - so its just been work, pack, work, pack, pack, work. Tomorrow is the only day I dont

have to get up at either 4 or 5:30 -- I'm so excited its pathetic !!!

I'm just trying to get the scale to move -- its seriously stuck ! :-? Thanks for the encouragement !!

Have a great summer !!

Lisa

Dear Lisa,

The hard thing is there seems to be no real "Fill Science". What's true for one of us is different for the other in so many cases. From my experience, a little more fill might be just what you need. I had restriction on chicken ... couldn't eat much of it no matter how much I chewed ... and on a few other foods. Sometimes, especially in restraunts where my eating pace was influenced by my table mates, I would have a little pb-ing problem. I wasn't losing weight though, because there were way too many foods I had no restriction on. Since my recent fill, I have restriction on almost all foods. I can't eat much. I think that's the idea. If it stays like this (it's been a week) I think I will lose weight. I say think" because there are still a few foods that do slip through, and that I must stay away from. The only fill tight enough to give restriction on ice cream would kill you.

My current fill ended up to be just .3 1/2 cc, but what a difference it makes. If you can stay overnight when you do go, it's a very good idea .... I think, because it's really all trial and error. I waited almost 24 hours, but I was having trouble keeping water down so I went back and he took out .2 cc. It seems about right now. I hope so. We'll see.

Dear Lisa,

The hard thing is there seems to be no real "Fill Science". What's true for one of us is different for the other in so many cases. From my experience, a little more fill might be just what you need. I had restriction on chicken ... couldn't eat much of it no matter how much I chewed ... and on a few other foods. Sometimes, especially in restraunts where my eating pace was influenced by my table mates, I would have a little pb-ing problem. I wasn't losing weight though, because there were way too many foods I had no restriction on. Since my recent fill, I have restriction on almost all foods. I can't eat much. I think that's the idea. If it stays like this (it's been a week) I think I will lose weight. I say think" because there are still a few foods that do slip through, and that I must stay away from. The only fill tight enough to give restriction on ice cream would kill you.

My current fill ended up to be just .3 1/2 cc, but what a difference it makes. If you can stay overnight when you do go, it's a very good idea .... I think, because it's really all trial and error. I waited almost 24 hours, but I was having trouble keeping water down so I went back and he took out .2 cc. It seems about right now. I hope so. We'll see.

Hi, Pam !

Thank you so much !!! Dr Martinez did tell me that he wanted me to wait at least 2 months to "live"

with this fill but honestly, I can almost eat anything. I have not been losing weight, and I've exercised

non stop (daily) from June 22 to yesterday (took 2 days off). I'm eating 85% well, and when I "cheat", its with stuff like salad dressing - fattening in some respects, but I still think something should be happening !!! I'll try and schedule a trip back -- its a long way - but this is important.

thank you so much for your reply. It really has helped !

lisa

I swear, what drives me crazy is that I'm COMPLETELY restricted during my TOM - I even PB'd ice cream - but once that's over, there's little restriction at all.

I need to trade this confusing body in for a fine tuned machine ;)

Hi FurEllie,

Excuse my ignorance, is TOM "time of the month"? If so, what in the heck do you suppose that would have to do with it? Band tightness does vary, doesn't it? Trying to work with this band thing is always an adventure.

Hi FurEllie,

Excuse my ignorance, is TOM "time of the month"? If so, what in the heck do you suppose that would have to do with it? Band tightness does vary, doesn't it? Trying to work with this band thing is always an adventure.

Yep - that's it. Honestly, I have ZERO idea why it has anything to do with it which is why I'm trading this body in for a perfect one, lol. I noticed it and thought I was going crazy until I went to a larger band forum and saw TONS of posts about it. It happens like clockwork. Thankfully (sorta) I've been having some female issues and my last TOM was 3 weeks long - it was SO nice to feel that restriction! But the minute it stopped, bingo - I have so far not been full AT ALL. <_< Things that made me PB go down like a dream and I can eat a lot of it. Not good.

I think I'm going to go ahead and schedule a .2cc fill (which will make my total 1cc) so I won't be overfilled and see how that goes through the next TOM. Plus I have an appointment with my OB/GYN to hopefully solve that silly monthly problem once and for all :)

Ah, the *cough* miracle of the human body :blink:

Ladies --

I totally understand the TOM thing - altho I traded in my TOM for a hysterectomy 2 years

ago (yes, that IS the Hallelujah chorus you hear !!) but if I hadn't, I think I'd be there too -

I used to bloat up like crazy! Sorry guys --

I have come to the conclusion that I need another fill, or at least "topped off" ! I'm very very

busy at work and don't know if I can sneak off from DC to TJ just now --- I'm also personally

moving, so I should lose a little weight pulling out all of my hair.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys and gals !!! Its great to be in this company of experts !!!

Ladies --

I totally understand the TOM thing - altho I traded in my TOM for a hysterectomy 2 years

ago (yes, that IS the Hallelujah chorus you hear !!) but if I hadn't, I think I'd be there too -

I used to bloat up like crazy! Sorry guys --

I have come to the conclusion that I need another fill, or at least "topped off" ! I'm very very

busy at work and don't know if I can sneak off from DC to TJ just now --- I'm also personally

moving, so I should lose a little weight pulling out all of my hair.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys and gals !!! Its great to be in this company of experts !!!

Hi Lisa,

I feel your frustration!! I had surgery April 3rd. My highest weight was 247, my pre-op weight was 234, and TODAY I weigh 212!!! Well, I was going to say I KNOW how you feel, but actually you are behaving much better than I am.LOL

I'm not making the BEST food choices. I eat what I want, except I try to avoid buying cookies, chips, and other junk type food that goes down ALL TOO EASILY. ANd as far as exercise goes, sometimes I do, and most times I don't. :unsure: I know, shame on me! At first I WORKED really hard at it, and then I said, ya, know this is gonna take awhile. So, I just kinda relaxed. Now the weight is DEFINITLEY coming off slow, but it is coming off. I KNOW I need another fill though, but I'm trying to wait until Sept.

I'm hoping this next one will make ALL the difference in the world.

My cousin was lower bmi, and lost all her weight in a year. Total of 80 pounds, which was MORE than she planned to lose! She didn't do anything major either. Ate what she wanted, and walked some. She lost REAL slow in the beginning, and stressed JUST like we are now. Then after fill #3 she started losing like a madwoman! LOL I'm not saying to stop what you are doing. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING!! LOL I need to get in gear. Anyway, maybe the exercise is building muscle, and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat. I'm guessing you are still noticing a big difference in your clothes! :)

Hang in there! We'll get there eventually!

Donna

BTW Fur Elie

I KNOW what you mean about TOM. I can't hardly drink a glass of milk when he comes around! Restriction x 10. I guess that's a good thing though, cause that's when I USUALLY tear the house down looking for junk food! Not anymore! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Donna --

I think the best thing for me was to stop weighing myself -- I was doing it weekly

because I'm on a team at work and you need to - so now I'm just moving it down

a pound every 2 weeks or so -- I think I just need to get thru the worst of this

stressful life (moving in 2 weeks- wahoo !!!), then I can at least rest and have rest-

ful time when I'm home --

I really really appreciate the support !!

Take great care !!!

Lisa