question about gas pains

Guest marys

Hello - I had surgery on 11.18 and am feeling pretty good these days. I may call Dr. Ortiz tomorrow but wanted to see if others have dealt with gas pains this long after surgery. They started to get better around day 11 (no pains that day) and now it seems I have them 1-2 times a day. Since they seem to hit after breakfast (which is just liquids right now) and after dinner (broth) I'm getting worried I'm drinking wrong and pulling gas in and will that hurt my band? The pains still seem to be in my shoulder and back and they pass fairly quickly now but wondering if i'm doing something wrong or if it's normal to still have them? Thanks for any insight/help. Mary

Hi there, I was banded on Aug 09/05, and had terrible gas pains starting a couple of days after surgery and they lasted about a couple of weeks. I got really scared something was wrong, I started to panic and I even called Dr Martinez. But where I found I got the best advice was this forum. And I will pass my advice to you. the gas pains hurt like hell but they will pass. And when it does and you start dropping pounds when you look back, and you will think the pain bad but well worth it.

Keep strong!!!

The key is the wiggle!! Wiggle in a chair when seated during the day. Move your hips back and forth. Gets a little windy, but at least it passes.

The other key is a heating pad at night. Works it down so first thing in the morning is a bit noisy!

Hope my suggestions help. They did for me.

Thanks for the great suggestions - today is now day 21 and tomorrow i get to start eating real/solid food. I am so excited. And, my gas pains are soooo much better - I've used all suggestions with good results and I typically now only have one -two very small 'attacks' a day. They seem to pass really quickly now and the shoulder pain is much less intense. Two of my incision sites are so tiny you can hardly see them and the other three are healing fast/nicely - my port bruise is almost gone. I love this site and thank everyone for their encouragement and support - it means alot. mary