No weight lost - after first fill

I need some help! I was banded on September 12 of this year, and I received my first fill on 22 Oct, and I have not lost any weight!!! On 22 October 2005, Dr Martinez give me a fill of 2cc, which he stated that that was "above normal". Now, I am four months four post-ops and have not lost any weight. I have a good restriction, because I have not gained any weight!! I guess that is good. I told with Dr Martinez last week about my situation, he told me that "effects" of the fill can vary from person to person, because people may have more fat on their stomach. He requested that I return back to TJ so that he can add a little more, that should work for me. My goal is to lost 50lbs. Has this happened to anyone else? can someone give me some advice!? I am very afraid of the decision I made to have surgery...

I had lap-band surgery on September 06,2005 and had my first fill Oct, 12 2005, 2 cc's. I too did not lose any weight after my first fill.

I went back on November 23 and had another fill, which brought me to 2.75 cc's and it was too much, I had to go back the next day and have some taken out. I am at about 2.4 cc's now, and at first it was great! I ate just a few bites and was full. However, a week later I felt as I did before the adjustment. I have some restriction but not enough to continue losing weight. I am hoping the next adjustment does the trick. It can be soooo discouraging!

Guest BabyGirl

To the Hawaii Girl

I feel your pain <_<

I was banded on September 2, 2005 and lost 17 lbs with the initial liquid diet. I have had 3 fills and have not lost any additional weight since Sept 2nd. I get on my scale and say' "How can that be!" I feel I have lost weight because my pant size has gone from a 16 to a 14. Before the lap band I was a champion couch potato. As a newbie I have started walking. I wonder if my muscle tone is getting better and weighs more than my fat? That is the only reason I can think of that has kept my scale from moving since my band date and 3 fills later ( I feel I have good restriction). I'm hoping that I'm going to wake up some day soon and my weight loss will start showing on my scales. Hang in there! Does anyone have any ideas on kick starting our weight loss?

Hiwaii Girl, I was banded on Aug 26th and had my first fill on Oct 19th after my fill I didn't lose any weight, and I know I have good restriction, at this point in time I can't eat anything. It took me just until the other day to start losing weight again, don't get discouraged.

Melissa

surgery Aug 26th 2005

280/230

1st fill 2cc's on Oct 19th 2005

Okay okay... lets all not panic. First things first. We have to look at the non-scale victory aspect.

1. Do your clothes fit better?

2. Do you have more energy?

3. Do you have more confidence?

4. Are you going down in clothing size? (lbs v. inches)

5. Are you taking measurements and keeping track, not just stepping on a scale?

6. Are you exercising?

7. Do you notice a skin toning at all?

8. Do you have an overall general sense of feeling better inside?

etc. etc... the list goes on and on...

Make sure you are all not measuring your success by poundage and looking at the ENTIRE picture. The actual number means NOTHING on the scale. How do you "feel"? How do you "look"? What is your energy levels like? Are you following the band rules?

There are many things to look at... and if you are doing the needed exercise please remember that muscle weighs more than fat. I haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks, but I notice it in inches because I keep track. To heck with the scale!!! Its all about how you feeeeeeeeeeeeel inside.

Take care and good luck everyone!

I guess I am glad to see others that aren't losing because I've started feeling like a failure. I just got my first fill on 12/03 and don't have enough restriction I guess, because I can eat almost as much as ever. I think I have a little restriction because I do have trouble with bread. Do I need more fill? Because other wise I just spent $10,000 for nothing because I still won't lose weight unless Idiet like before. This is quite complicated. I guess the right amount of fill must be all important? yes?

I hope so. I'm right there with the others of you not losing any weight. I was banded on August 25, 2005. (Lost 10 lbs after the liquid.) Received my first fill on Oct. 8th (2.4cc's) and have lost nothing since. I just called and made an appointment for another fill on Monday Dec. 19th.

It's strange though. I definitely am eating a lot less than I did before my surgery, but have not lost any weight, inches, or sizes. I'm also exercising a couple of times a week, which before surgery I hardly ever did.

I have a feeling my metabolism is just shot from all the years weird dieting, liquid diets, etc. My body is probably just trying as hard as it can to hold onto the weight. Oh well, hopefully this fill will help and I am going to step up my gym visits.

Hello - just joined today. banded in 2004, almost at goal, learned some things,mostly the hard way!

Almost everyone needs more than 1 fill to get to a good level. more like 3-5. they should tell you this. :blink:

Go for more every month if you need to and work on all the other things we must change ourselves in the meantime. Happy Holidays to all. Mary

I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to reply to my call for help. :D I guess that I was wrong about this surgery. I have to be honest with myself and my fellow my "banders", :) I thought that if I reduce my calorie in-ake that I would lost weight, automatic!! call me lazy~! My weight does not only effect my health, but my career! What are you talking about, you ask? In my line of work I have to maintain a certain weight. I though that if I got this band that I will lose the weight quickly without any hard work, but I know the things that you want in life comes with hard work! And none thing will be give to you..you have to work it!!! :D So, yes I have spent over $10K.... if you count the trips that I will made to TJ. Please don't get me wrong...I will continue to make that trips... because Dr Ortiz and his staff were and is amazing to me and my family. This weight lose has not effect me but my family. My husband has watch me through the pain, and financial difficult of my weight lose journey, and has not complain one time!!! ;) So, I feel like I need to do my part not just go through the surgery, which was not that bad :rolleyes: ! I know that I need another fill, but I need to exercise to achieve my goal! I have listen to so many stories about the "lap band", but the one thing that continues to come to mind is "exceptions". What are you excepting from the "band"? I have to be honest, I though if I got the band that I would not have to work out as much! But I was wrong! The body is amazing and there is only so much that the body can take. Bottomline, the "band" is a tool"not "a curse all" to my weight isssues! I understand that now!!! I will increase my work-out program, and I will go back to TJ, because there is no one that I trust more than Dr.Ortiz and his staff, I will spend the almost eight hundred dollars it takes (from paradise) to get a fill. I am planning my next fill sometime in Feb! Until then, I will run, and do weight training at least three times a week. Thank you so much for helping me!!! You know us "banders" must stuck together... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am glad you feel that way, it kind of helps me to feel that way now. I was banded back in July. I went in for first "fill" in August and well that's that, it's been 4 months and no gain, but 5 lbs lost. I am depressed now that I made a financial mistake which is costing me a pretty big chunk of change every month :( . BUT I will not give up. I was very happy to read your email and what you said. I feel a little more motivated now, but I just want to be on the right track that's all. I read another post and it was so dead on, I need to get off my butt and use the tool I have. I would go in for another fill, but I have felt a lot of restriction, you know the "mucus build up" in the throat so I don't eat that much, but I just need to work it out in my head. I'm 29 and I just want to feel it. I am glad we have this forum to get things out.