One week away!

I am exactly one week from my surgery and I am a nervous wreck! I keep thinking "Am I doing the right thing? What if I die and my babies grow up without a mom? Am I being selfish by risking my life in this way?" Of course then I walk by and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and think, "Oh that's right, I'm a bowling ball with legs."

Anyone have any tips on things that I should bring on my trip that I might not think of, or anything that I should NOT bring? Any advise would be great!

Thanks,

Nervous Nellie (a.k.a. Lauren) :blink:

I am exactly one week from my surgery and I am a nervous wreck! I keep thinking "Am I doing the right thing? What if I die and my babies grow up without a mom? Am I being selfish by risking my life in this way?" Of course then I walk by and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and think, "Oh that's right, I'm a bowling ball with legs."

Anyone have any tips on things that I should bring on my trip that I might not think of, or anything that I should NOT bring? Any advise would be great!

Thanks,

Nervous Nellie (a.k.a. Lauren) :blink:

I'm pre-op, too, so I don't have anything to suggest.

But I am getting nervous too, and keep reminding myself that the risks of this surgery, which are minimal, PALE in comparison to the risks we take:

1. by continuing to be obese and developing those so-called "lifestyle" diseases

2. every time we get in a car we take a larger risk with our life, but do it out of convenience anyway

3. by raising our kids with the hopelessness of unchecked obesity in their futures

4. isn't pregnancy and childbirth more risky?

And what is life without risks? Nothing I'd like to live, for sure.

RELAX!!!!!

In over 4000 operations, I haven't heard of any deaths with Dr. Ortiz. Some risk yes, but if your a bowling ball with legs, then you have already been living the risk everyday and will continue to live with risk until your not OBESE. I'm sure the rate of death is pushing the same as death during childbirth and that worry deters only a rare few.

My advise to both of you is to focus on the things you can control and the surgeries aftermath and less focus on the surgery itself. Its four small incisions, some prodding of instruments and its done in 15 mins.

Also, enjoy Tiajuana both the night before (no tequila) and the days after walking and shopping.

Tom

I'm pre-op, too, so I don't have anything to suggest.

But I am getting nervous too, and keep reminding myself that the risks of this surgery, which are minimal, PALE in comparison to the risks we take:

1. by continuing to be obese and developing those so-called "lifestyle" diseases

2. every time we get in a car we take a larger risk with our life, but do it out of convenience anyway

3. by raising our kids with the hopelessness of unchecked obesity in their futures

4. isn't pregnancy and childbirth more risky?

And what is life without risks? Nothing I'd like to live, for sure.

I have to agree with Tom. Just relax. OCC is a first class organization, Do worry. I didn't have any of the aches and pains that a lot of people have had and I credit Dr,. Ortiz and his staff for that.

I do have one suggestion though. You will be on a liquid diet basically broth and juice and water for the first week. After surgery, at the Lucerna.........there is a nice restaurant but to get a bowl of chicken broth and a bottle of water, costs $6.50. Each room is equiped with a coffee maker so you can heat water with it. Bring your own boullion cubes and make your own broth. It is a lot cheaper and you don't feel you have to eat the whole bowl so you don't waste money.

Good Luck with your surgeries and enjoy your time in Mexico.

Kari

banded 7-16-07

Dr. Ortiz

Everyone seems to have covered the relax portion pretty well so I'll move on to stuff to bring.

They'll give your a hospital gown to wear (the non-revealing kind!) during surgery so don't worry about clothes at the clinic. I took up alot of room in my suitcase bringing my comfy bathrobe and ended up not needing it. Bring comfy clothes to wear the rest of your stay though. I've found Gatorade to be quite useful during liquid stages as it has lots of good stuff in it. The bullion cubes are an excellent idea I'd never thought of before. Other than that just regular vacation stuff: books, music, games etc. Stuff to keep your occupied while you're healing.

Good luck! It's a piece of cake.

Thanks guys, you really did make me feel better! $6.50 for broth and water? That's insane!!! Gotta add boullion to the list...

The ridiculous thing is, I'm probably as nervous about the 4 hour plane ride as I am the surgery. I guess I'm one of those people who invents things to stress about!

Tonight was rough for me. I really wanted to chow down on something bad, anything bad, it didn't matter what. I didn't though. It's tough because at first my husband was going to do the pre-op diet with me, but of course that didn't last more than a couple days. So while he ate two fried chicken sandwhiches, I sat on the couch with a blanket over my head crying. I wanted one so bad!!! It was like I couldn't make myself leave the room. I just stayed and tortured myself listening to him eat.

I know, I'm weird. Sorry, I just had to get all that out. I know that things are going to be better, and when I'm thin and healthy it'll all be worth it! =D> I'll say to my husband, "Go ahead, have your fried chicken, I'm going for a run!"

Thanks guys, you really did make me feel better! $6.50 for broth and water? That's insane!!! Gotta add boullion to the list...

The ridiculous thing is, I'm probably as nervous about the 4 hour plane ride as I am the surgery. I guess I'm one of those people who invents things to stress about!

Tonight was rough for me. I really wanted to chow down on something bad, anything bad, it didn't matter what. I didn't though. It's tough because at first my husband was going to do the pre-op diet with me, but of course that didn't last more than a couple days. So while he ate two fried chicken sandwhiches, I sat on the couch with a blanket over my head crying. I wanted one so bad!!! It was like I couldn't make myself leave the room. I just stayed and tortured myself listening to him eat.

I know, I'm weird. Sorry, I just had to get all that out. I know that things are going to be better, and when I'm thin and healthy it'll all be worth it! =D> I'll say to my husband, "Go ahead, have your fried chicken, I'm going for a run!"

To funny

I can remember thinking the same thing, poor me, not being able to eat what my husband was eating, and then getting just a little irritated about it, but in a joking way. The funny thing is, is, once your on solids, you can enjoy it anyway, if your band will allow you too. :)

Teri

To funny

I can remember thinking the same thing, poor me, not being able to eat what my husband was eating, and then getting just a little irritated about it, but in a joking way. The funny thing is, is, once your on solids, you can enjoy it anyway, if your band will allow you too. :)

Teri

I would have died for just one little bite! But I knew if I gave in it would make it easier to convince myself to cheat in other ways. I'm constantly playing mind games with myself, man it's exhausting! Lol.

I would have died for just one little bite! But I knew if I gave in it would make it easier to convince myself to cheat in other ways. I'm constantly playing mind games with myself, man it's exhausting! Lol.

Who's the cutie on the left (pic), good luck to you! Very soon, your mind games will be gone!!!!!!!!!! and you will love it. and you will love your band, once you firgure out how it will help you. :):)

Teir

Who's the cutie on the left (pic), good luck to you! Very soon, your mind games will be gone!!!!!!!!!! and you will love it. and you will love your band, once you firgure out how it will help you. :):)

Teir

That pic is of my son when he was around two, he's six now. My brother is a photographer and kept making him stick his finger in his nose so he could get a funny shot of it. What a great influence, lol.

As for the band, I just can't wait. I am so READY! I knew it was time to do the surgery when I could no longer bring myself to try one more diet. I used to be able to start a diet with conviction and excitement, although it usually didn't last long. I lost 50 pounds on Atkins once, and it was empowering, had a baby and gained back 75. That crushed my spirit, bigtime. I have a really bad food addiction, it calls to me. Lol. I liken it to a drug addict, honestly. Just like if a cocaine addict had a whole cabinet full of the stuff, could they have just a little? Well, I have a whole pantry and fridge full of food, and my brain constantly tells me to go there.

I'm ready for a permanent change! I'm totally psyched about this! No more ankles cracking as I walk down stairs, no more knees grinding as I walk up stairs, no more running out of breath from walking 100 feet to my son's bus stop. I'm so beyond ready, which is why I will not have that chicken sandwhich! :D

Guest flatrish
That pic is of my son when he was around two, he's six now. My brother is a photographer and kept making him stick his finger in his nose so he could get a funny shot of it. What a great influence, lol.

As for the band, I just can't wait. I am so READY! I knew it was time to do the surgery when I could no longer bring myself to try one more diet. I used to be able to start a diet with conviction and excitement, although it usually didn't last long. I lost 50 pounds on Atkins once, and it was empowering, had a baby and gained back 75. That crushed my spirit, bigtime. I have a really bad food addiction, it calls to me. Lol. I liken it to a drug addict, honestly. Just like if a cocaine addict had a whole cabinet full of the stuff, could they have just a little? Well, I have a whole pantry and fridge full of food, and my brain constantly tells me to go there.

I'm ready for a permanent change! I'm totally psyched about this! No more ankles cracking as I walk down stairs, no more knees grinding as I walk up stairs, no more running out of breath from walking 100 feet to my son's bus stop. I'm so beyond ready, which is why I will not have that chicken sandwhich! :D

HI there,

I'm acutally here and had my suregery yesterday. I'm doing a little walking around this morning getting things moving. All and All the experience has bee a good. Everyone is pleasent to deal with and make you feel very comfterable. I don't have a lot with me here at the hospital, just my clothes i wore and some flip/flops and bathroom stuff. you will do fine. :-)

Hi Lauren!!

Less than a week now!! I'm so excited :-) Found out yesterday that I am cleared and will be coming the 19th for surgery the 20th!!! YEAHHHHH It's so great to not be "tentative" anymore.

Hope that you are well and the diet is getting easier. HANG IN THERE!!!!!

Amber

Hi Lauren!!

Less than a week now!! I'm so excited :-) Found out yesterday that I am cleared and will be coming the 19th for surgery the 20th!!! YEAHHHHH It's so great to not be "tentative" anymore.

Hope that you are well and the diet is getting easier. HANG IN THERE!!!!!

Amber

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I was wondering how things were coming along for you, glad to hear you got the "okay" for the surgery. We'll all have to go do some walking together after surgery!

I'm so excited!!!!! Only 5 more days!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm also pre-op and when you talked about not being able to get excited about yet another diet, you made me realize that that's what my trigger was too. In the past, I'd always been able to get excited enough to lose the first 30-35 lbs. Then after gaining and losing the same 30 lbs for over 10 years - I finally decided that this was nuts. I tried to accept my body, lasted about 1 1/2 minutes - then decided on this diet. I would like to lose all my weight on it and get over that mental "30lb" hump that always gets me.

I wish you the best on your surgery!

Danielle

OK... i'm going to make this quick because I have to scoot but...

Dr. O has never lost a patient and doesn't intend to start with YOU... that's why we are so strict with the pre-op diet, it makes surgery safer for you... so the best things you can do are..

STOP smoking! very important

stop taking any kind of blood thinning medication (NSAIDS, etc)

stop drinking alcohol

and... lose the weight as prescribed by Dr. Miranda!

and of course.... call me if you have any questions :)

OK... i'm going to make this quick because I have to scoot but...

Dr. O has never lost a patient and doesn't intend to start with YOU... that's why we are so strict with the pre-op diet, it makes surgery safer for you... so the best things you can do are..

STOP smoking! very important

stop taking any kind of blood thinning medication (NSAIDS, etc)

stop drinking alcohol

and... lose the weight as prescribed by Dr. Miranda!

and of course.... call me if you have any questions :)

Thanks, Lori!

I'm doing my best. I've lost about 10 of the 12 pounds so far. Today was rough though, my worst day on the pre-op diet so far, may have put 1 pound back on. I think my nerves are getting the better of me. I'm hoping to do better tomorrow... I mean, I WILL do better tomorrow!

Yes, Danielle, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the diet thing. I just didn't have the heart to fail again. After feeling the high of losing 50 pounds in 6 months, and then gaining it all back plus 20 more, I was devastated. I tried to diet again, that lasted about 2 months, the next one lasted about a week or two, and now I can't even bring myself to start one. That ship has sailed for me. Yep, the band is going to be the catalyst I need to finally rejoin the human race. Finally! Lol