Pre-op and freaking out a little

I'm sure this has happened to many of you on the pre-diet -- I just committed fully to the surgery for 8/28 - but today it finally REALLY hit me what I'm going to be doing!! I mean, this isn't just a temporary thing, it's a lifestyle thing! I know I need it, but certain things are really making me worry -- like the ability to chew without worrying that every bite not properly chewed is going to cause me pain - or the fact that I can no longer drink diet soft drinks with my meals! I think I enjoy the diet soft drink almost more than the meal!

It doesn't help that we went out to dinner where I had salad that I tried to chew really slowly - almost choked on the mush. I also tried not to drink - but I was so thirsty and just broke down and ordered the diet coke.

What I will miss more than anything in the world is the ability to drink diet soft drinks with my meals. I don't know how I can do this!! You'd think I'd miss breads or other foods -- but what I really fear is missing the carefree eating without worrying about chewing every bite - and the lack of diet 7-up/diet coke in my life - particularly when I"m eating.

Is one able to change lifelong habits - really? And make them stick? I confess, I haven't had much luck with that (which is why I'm here!)

Thanks for any perspective/words of wisdom!

Danielle

I'm sure this has happened to many of you on the pre-diet -- I just committed fully to the surgery for 8/28 - but today it finally REALLY hit me what I'm going to be doing!! I mean, this isn't just a temporary thing, it's a lifestyle thing! I know I need it, but certain things are really making me worry -- like the ability to chew without worrying that every bite not properly chewed is going to cause me pain - or the fact that I can no longer drink diet soft drinks with my meals! I think I enjoy the diet soft drink almost more than the meal!

It doesn't help that we went out to dinner where I had salad that I tried to chew really slowly - almost choked on the mush. I also tried not to drink - but I was so thirsty and just broke down and ordered the diet coke.

What I will miss more than anything in the world is the ability to drink diet soft drinks with my meals. I don't know how I can do this!! You'd think I'd miss breads or other foods -- but what I really fear is missing the carefree eating without worrying about chewing every bite - and the lack of diet 7-up/diet coke in my life - particularly when I"m eating.

Is one able to change lifelong habits - really? And make them stick? I confess, I haven't had much luck with that (which is why I'm here!)

Danielle

Danielle,

Not drinking period with a meal was difficult. I talked myself into thinking I could do it, because I was thinking, it was just one rule and how hard could it be. It was hard. But........................just like a habit, it takes time to change things. Once your banded, there basically is no turning back, right? So, you learn to live with the choice you made. It is not a problem for me at all, 8 months down the road. It gets frustrating at times, but so does being fat. It's live with fat, or make necessary changes you learn to live with. You can change habits, and be successful. Sometimes, ya gotta take the good with the bad. It does get better with time. Just believe that.

Teri

Danielle

Don't sweat it Danielle... I too was used to drinking SOMETHING with my meals! I have just gotten used to drinking about 10 minutes before I eat - it is no big deal anymore. I was also a Pepsi addict before surgery, not even diet, the real, leaded stuff with LOTS of sugar. No more for me, I had a sip of my daughters a few weeks ago, YUK, that stuff is nasty. My family is shocked, they called me a "Pepsiholic" for years!

Down the line you MAY be able to have a diet soda on occasion, but that will not be for at LEAST 6 months, if ever. Everyone is different, I can drink a less fizzy diet soda like Mountain Dew once in a while, as lont as it is no where near a meal. I really do not miss soda though, I now drink diet tea.

As for the chewing thing... At first you worry about it, but it becomes habit. It has been almost 10 months since my surgery and I do not even think about it. I thought I would look like a cow chewing it's cud when I ate, but I do not. I do not really have any issues with any foods. Not to say that you won't, or even I won't after my 3rd fill in early September. But for now I can eat anything, I just get full faster and eat MUCH smaller portions.

In the end, you CAN change life-long habits for the right reason. I am a slow loser, partly because I put off my fills, but that is ok, I have lost 61 pounds and my health is so much better now. My health was my big reason to loose this stinkin weight! I am off my blood pressure meds, my colesterol is at a normal level, and my sleep apnea is GONE - no more nasty mask and machine at night! It is also nice to get up in the morning and put on a pair of slacks for work and get irritated and rip them off again to find another pair... Not because I ate too much last night and they are just too tight, but because they have gotten so large they look like clown pants on me!

You will do great, yeah, it will be hard at first, not going to lie to you there, but it goes away. Most likely by the time you are back on solids again, you will not miss the soda at all.

Good luck! ><'

I felt the same way!!! Do not worry. You will be amazed at the will power you will get. As the pounds melt away. I was getting thirsty when I ate and just came to the conclusion that I was going to have to suck it up! It is not easy but it is worth it I am 6 weeks post-op and loving it. I am down 31 lbs. and people are starting to notice. I went and bought myself 2 pair of new underwear and could by 2 sizes small. Funny I know.... to get so excited over underwear but I did. I could get the cute ones. Just think of how wonderful it will be to be just a little thinner and have people notice. I lnow that it is life changing but I would do it all over agian just of 31lbs. It will be hard but well worth it. Wish you well and keep your chin up.

Danielle

Danielle

I forgot to tell you my dr. had me take 3 fiber pills between meals and really cut down on the hunger. You also said about making the life long chnages and failing before. We have all been their or we would not be here today talking about his. I wish you all the luck and don't worry you can do it.

OMG, I had forgotten I wrote this, and I come back to see these marvelous words of wisdom that I missed! So inspirational, it's wonderful. Today, I had an "aha" moment - I'm not "losing" my best friend (food) -- I'm "gaining" a healthy relationship with it! Somewhere I read about someone who really learned to savor and enjoy - I no longer savor. Heartburn/reflux happens every time I eat - I am constantly self-conscious and miserable about how I feel -- I SEE how differently people act when one has weight on (I'm a yoyoer of the same 35 lbs - as much as 3 times in a year - and I see the difference!)

So thanks for the wonderful perspectives, and I can't wait until I'm 6 weeks - several months out and used to eating without drinking, chewing deliberately, and best of all feeling healthy, energetic and thinner!!

Danielle ><'

hi, first post, just had the surgery yesterday.

They don't tell you about the gas pains, but they're tolerable. My abdomen is very swollen- I can't see wearing anything but sweats or sarongs (guys can wear sarongs: traditional Javanese sarongs!) for a while. My poor GF is so scared of bumping me...

but I look at it this way: I didn't do this to cheat and screw up. I want to lose a hundred pounds and I think this is my best shot. Food has always been my big weakness (once I got over the desire for a new woman all the time), and this has effectively 'short-circuited' that weakness.

hi, first post, just had the surgery yesterday.

They don't tell you about the gas pains, but they're tolerable. My abdomen is very swollen- I can't see wearing anything but sweats or sarongs (guys can wear sarongs: traditional Javanese sarongs!) for a while. My poor GF is so scared of bumping me...

but I look at it this way: I didn't do this to cheat and screw up. I want to lose a hundred pounds and I think this is my best shot. Food has always been my big weakness (once I got over the desire for a new woman all the time), and this has effectively 'short-circuited' that weakness.

Congratulations on making it through the surgery! I was just writing to Lori - I haven't even had time to buy loose clothing - have no sweats or anything of the sort. It sounds like you're well on your way! Danielle

You'll be happy to know that your heartburn, will get a lot better, if not completely go away, after banding! I thought I'd never be able to give up Cokes. I did, and I honestly don't miss them as bad as I thought I would. You'll be ok! I took a tiny sip of one the other day, just to remember the taste I guess, 4 months after not TOUCHING ONE! It burnt like FIRE going down, and it was then I realized....THESE THINGS CAN'T BE GOOD FOR YOU! Won't touch another one!

Donna