Pre-trip planning?? Leave tomorrow!!

Okay, yesterday, I got the confirmation that my surgery is on Wed Aug 29!! So far, no takers on the surgery date, but I'm sure I"ll meet them when we all get down there!

I just realized a few things I should probably have thought of before!

On my 10-hour flight (2 flights, connection in AZ), how does one do a liquid diet?? I assume that Protein Liquids aren't allowed onboard - and I have optifast liquid containers (not powders)

Because I have an extra day in CA before surgery, I am worried about myself - specifically, staying on the fast. Has anyone needed to do that on a trip? It's also going to apply to me post-op - I travel quite a bit with my job (internationally, so long flights)

I need to be on the fast over the next few days, because I've been less than angelic on the pre-op diet. Sadly, I realize how much of a grip food has on me!! Oh well, that's why I'm doing this!

Any help, as always, would be appreciated! :P Danielle

Okay, yesterday, I got the confirmation that my surgery is on Wed Aug 29!! So far, no takers on the surgery date, but I'm sure I"ll meet them when we all get down there!

On my 10-hour flight (2 flights, connection in AZ), how does one do a liquid diet?? I assume that Protein Liquids aren't allowed onboard - and I have optifast liquid containers (not powders)

Because I have an extra day in CA before surgery, I am worried about myself - specifically, staying on the fast. Has anyone needed to do that on a trip? It's also going to apply to me post-op - I travel quite a bit with my job (internationally, so long flights)

I need to be on the fast over the next few days, because I've been less than angelic on the pre-op diet. Sadly, I realize how much of a grip food has on me!! Oh well, that's why I'm doing this!

You'll do fine on the plane on the way there. Try to just stick to the liquids, but if you eat a couple of crackers or something you won't die. Just substitute the calories you would have had if you were having a protein shake. The important thing pre-op is the calorie restriction. Dr. Miranda will answer all your questions when you get there too. You'll be fine!!!

As for when you travel post-op for work, I don't know. If you travel on long flights internationally while you are still on thie liquid diet then you should probably check with the airline about being able to get special permission to take shakes on board for medical reasons. There has to be a way around that with a doctor's statement or something. There may be something on the TSA website about that.

Good luck with surgery! You'll be fine!

Ps. I HIGHLY recommend taking liquid tylenol with you. It worked better for me than the pills they gave me! Just make sure you have it in it's own quart size bag. I didn't and got scolded by the security lady, but she let me take it through anyway.

Again, good luck, Danielle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll do fine on the plane on the way there. Try to just stick to the liquids, but if you eat a couple of crackers or something you won't die. Just substitute the calories you would have had if you were having a protein shake. The important thing pre-op is the calorie restriction. Dr. Miranda will answer all your questions when you get there too. You'll be fine!!!

As for when you travel post-op for work, I don't know. If you travel on long flights internationally while you are still on thie liquid diet then you should probably check with the airline about being able to get special permission to take shakes on board for medical reasons. There has to be a way around that with a doctor's statement or something. There may be something on the TSA website about that.

Good luck with surgery! You'll be fine!

Ps. I HIGHLY recommend taking liquid tylenol with you. It worked better for me than the pills they gave me! Just make sure you have it in it's own quart size bag. I didn't and got scolded by the security lady, but she let me take it through anyway.

Again, good luck, Danielle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote

You could bring the single powder packets and your own disposable cup and mix it on the plane and if you ask they would probably keep it in a fridge for you .

Also a little tid-bit of info, if your surgery is the next day you get to go out and EAT after pre-op tests. A treat before the band.

Sue

Hi Danielle,

I had surgery 7/9/07 and spent about 12 hours traveling home following surgery. I had a 3 1/2 hour layover in Dallas which turned into more like 5 hours in the airport. I brought a jar of Wyler's instant bouillon granules with me and purchased hot water in one of the little stores in airport. Between that and ordering juice on the plane and letting the ice dilute it, I was fine. You really won't be very hungry and you'll do great fine. You're in good hands so don't worry.

Judy

Thank you so much, all!! I had not thought about any of the stuff you brought up! Lauren, re: the liquid tylenol, I haven't been able to find one that isn't children's, so I bought the kids' one and will just guzzle it! :lol: I also love the idea about the doctor's note!! That's perfect - that's what my dad does with his insulin - I should have thought about it like medicine!

Sue, I had absolutely no idea that we had access to a "last meal"! I must be honest, I have really been struggling with the pre-op diet, because it just sems wrong :rolleyes: to me not to eat before surgery that will have me restricting my eating for my foreseable future -- what a mentality, but frankly, I've got a bit of jekyll/hyde thing going in the evening! It really helps to know that I will have that one meal - in fact, I think I can stick to the fast now before Tues! I do hope we get to ride together - and the four of us (three of us and you) of us will contribute lots to the total for anyone else who joins! =D>

Judy, that's a great idea (bouillon cubes). For some reason, I assumed that wouldn't be allowed on the plane - but it's not liquid, it's just potential liquid!

Thanks for all the good wishes! Danielle

Just another reminder about post-op: you are on a clear liquid diet post op, so boullion is okay, shakes are not! I know the feeling about last minute dieting before the surgery, but really, I don't think I would worry about it on the plane trip to CA. Keep your strength up and don't starve yourself, just don't binge. One more piece of advice you probably can't take at this point: relax!

Okee dokee, I can admit to this since it was so long ago ;)

I ate on the plane on the way there AND had a "last meal" the night before (but not w/in 12 hours of) surgery :)

After I checked out of the clinic I had some broth at the hotel and Mama Ortiz had taken us to get some stuff that's like the Crystal Light packets but in different flavors than they have in the US. Plus I had brought some Crystal Light packets with me.

On the way home I bought some water and Gatorade at the airport and even though it was a 4.5 hour flight, I really wasn't hungry on the way home. Plus I slept most of the time. Once I got to my home airport which is another 2 hours from my actual HOME, I had some more water and Gatorade. And of course, once home chicken broth, beef broth, veggie broth and if you strain the onions out, Campbell's onion soup is like beef broth with a little kick to it.

Take some broth packets/cubes with you if you think you'll get hungry on the way home.

PS - be careful with the SF popsicles. More than 2 and I cramp up like crazy with the artificial sweetener. But I have a friend who can eat 50 with no problem. I hate her ;)

Okay, one more tip. There are two restaurants in the hotel, the "fine dining" one was MUCH better than the other one. We ordered our "last meal" from the other one and it was pretty gross. AFTER surgery I went to the nicer restaurant with my husband (so he could eat) and the food was MUCH better. Also one time my husband ordered a burger and fries from room service and it was really good. I confess, I chewed up a bite and then spit it out, just to see what it tasted like, it was really really good. I wish I'd had that for my last meal, rather than the nasty Mexican food I got from the other one. Huge mistake.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

=D>

ps, I got my liquid tylenol at Walgreens.

I second LaurenLeigh's assessment of the restaurants at the Lucerna. We had (great shame in admitting this) calamari fritte and coconut shrimp at Rivoli as our "last meal" and it was pretty good. Heh, or maybe it just seemed so after a week of heinous protein shake torture. But later, my boyfriend tried a couple different things at the regular restaurant and they were all just kinda "eh". I did have the chicken consomme at the regular restaurant on the day after surgery and enjoyed it. It was hearty and flavorful. I wonder if they make it on-site.

Here's another trick - if you get off the elevator on any floor, at the far end of the left hand hall is a door which leads outside. Go out and there's an elevator to your right. I can't remember which floor it's on and I swear I can't figure out why you can't get there by stairs, but there's an ice machine on I THINK the bottom floor. Get your ice bucket (always seemed to be on the top shelf of the closet for some reason) and either use it filled with ice or fill up your sink with ice and you can "chill" your water bottles w/o having to risk putting the water over ice - even though I've heard TJ water is just as good as US water, lol. Just an extra precaution to enjoy a nice cold drink - especially if you have some flavors to add to them (I admit - I don't like plain water). If you have trouble finding the ice machine, ask one of the guys who carries your luggage - they are WONDERFUL :)

Also - there's a Quickie Mart type place that if you're facing out from the front door of the hotel is at approximate 11oclock. It's a lot closer than the Costco if you just want to grab a few things.

Apparently there are stores were you can buy the pain meds you get at the clinic - I never could figure out which stores they were :(

There's a COSTCO at TJ? :lol: I keep thinking I"m going to another country, but there's a Costo, a "Quicky Mart", more flavors of my favorite non-POP drink (Crystal Light) than in the States -- what am I worried about??? It's great.

DEFINITELY, most DEFINITELY, it will be the burger and fries. That just makes salivate right there. Then it's over to the Other side!! I can't wait!

Still haven't found Liquid Tylenol, , but we have all day MOnday in San Diego to find a Walgreen's, and all Tuesday to find something at the stores in TJ. Worst case, I got the kids' version - by my calculation, I have to drink the whole bottle just to get the equivalent of an adult portion for my weight :P

I go straight from the hospital back to CA, so in some ways that's easier! So we're all set! That chicken consomme would have been good at the hotel, though -- will have to find something similar in Santa Ana on Thurs/Fri!

Now, it's just a question of finding suitcases and packing for the three of us (she says at 10 p.m. with an 8 a.m. flight :o )

Thanks again, all! TJ, here we come!! B)

Snowbird, you're next! :P Thanks for telling me about the shakes - thanks to you, my suitcase will be much lighter than I thought!

Danielle