Has anyone tried a diet program after surgery?

ladysha313

Hello. I was just wondering. Has anyone tried Nutrisystem, Medifast or any other type of prepared diet programs after surgery.

My sister is getting married in August 08 and I want to lose at least another 50 lbs by then. My weight has slowed a little and I just had a fill and only lost 4 lbs. I love the fact that I'm losing but I want to be able to take pictures and actually look at them later.

Any suggestions?

Hello. I was just wondering. Has anyone tried Nutrisystem, Medifast or any other type of prepared diet programs after surgery.

My sister is getting married in August 08 and I want to lose at least another 50 lbs by then. My weight has slowed a little and I just had a fill and only lost 4 lbs. I love the fact that I'm losing but I want to be able to take pictures and actually look at them later.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I had my second fill almost a month ago and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to go on a diet. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but I think I must. This fill has given me enough restriction .... portion control is not a problem. I can only eat 3 or 4 bites of most foods, but unfortunately I was never a binger, much more a grazer .... and a grazer with a sweet tooth no less. I think I need the structure of a diet. I think the band will make dieting easier and help me keep the weight off. How I hate to have to start counting points again, but if I must.

Im going to do it too. I was banded the 25th of July.. getting my first fill in less than 2 weeks.. and help me get a kick start. Making sure I take Centrum Chewable Vitamins too so I dont lose to many nutrients. Thinking of doing Protein shakes.. and maybe Lean Cuisines. I cant see why it would hurt... on the contrary it may be better.. and what better time to do it when PHYSICALLY we cant even eat as much as before. YIPEEE im excited now.. Im gonna order OPTIFAST RIGHT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

My last ditch effort before having this surgery was to try the Cambridge Diet ONE LAST TIME.(same thing as Optifast,or Medifast but cheaper, and more flavors) The first time I did it, I lost 35 pounds. After I got off of it, I gained it all back, but the weightloss was VERY FAST while I was on it. LOL 2nd time I lost 16 pounds on it, gained it all back, and the last time I lost 11, and gained it all back.

When I did my pre-op diet, I used Cambridge, and lost 8 of the 11 pounds I needed to lose, VERY FAST. I didn't gain it back either. I've often wondered if it would STAY off this time? I've put serious thought into trying it again, but I'm not so sure. I think if I LOST that weight REALLY fast, maybe the band would prevent me from eating ENOUGH calories to gain it back, maybe??? I don't know. I do know that liquid diets make you SO HUNGRY, that after you get off them, you are ravenous, and like a WILD DOG, searching for ANY food you can find! LOL

Let me know what you girls find out, if you do it.

Donna

Ya know what? After thinking about it even more.....

I think I'm gonna do it! My birthday is Sept. 28th. My FIRST BIG goal was to get below 200. I'm at 210 right now, so I'm only 11 pounds away! I know that on Cambridge I can lose 10 pounds in about a week and a half. I think I'm gonna give myself a little boost, and just see what happens. I'm gonna get below 200, and what a HAPPY BIRTHDAY that will be! It's been almost 7 years since I weighed less than 200.

I'm gonna try it! Anybody with me? :P

Donna

Ya know what? After thinking about it even more.....

I think I'm gonna do it! My birthday is Sept. 28th. My FIRST BIG goal was to get below 200. I'm at 210 right now, so I'm only 11 pounds away! I know that on Cambridge I can lose 10 pounds in about a week and a half. I think I'm gonna give myself a little boost, and just see what happens. I'm gonna get below 200, and what a HAPPY BIRTHDAY that will be! It's been almost 7 years since I weighed less than 200.

I'm gonna try it! Anybody with me? :P

Donna

Good luck, Donna! Wow, I'd DIE to weigh less that 200! Lol.

I did nutri-system once, the food is expensive and most of it pretty nasty, though a couple of things they had were good. It was just SO weird that none of it needed to be refrigerated, even the stuff with meat or chicken in it. I think one could do a lean cuisine diet which would taste better and probably cost less. I'm probably going to mostly eat lean cuisines when I get off these dang liquids. I've always been a bit of a grazer too.

Well, I did Nutrisystem too, 3 TIMES! LOL The first time I did really good on it, but that was back when I was basically a teenager. Then I tried it again about 15 years ago, just to shed 20-30 pounds. The food DID seem to be WORSE than when I tried it the first time, and COST.....OMG!!!!

It had gone up to 110 dollars a WEEK! Plus, you STILL have to buy all those other vegetables, and salad junk! Before I had the band surgery, I thought about doing Jenny Craig. Then I went online, and checked the cost of THAT. By the time I lost all the weight I wanted to lose, I would have ALREADY PAID them basically what it would have cost me for surgery, and would MOST likely gained it ALL back!

I've basically tried every diet known to man, or woman. It all boils down to this....CAN YOU KEEP DOING THIS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE??? Now, if you are doing any kind of diet, and can honestly answer that question with a YES....good for you!

I KNEW I couldn't, and I'm so glad I was able to get banded! LOL

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Donna, I'll be with you in spirit, if not in action! What a great birthday gift to yourself!!

I"m on the "liquid protein" (UGH UGH UGH) diet until Sept 21, so I"ll be with you part of the journey! I can tell you that even though I"m in bandster hell hunger wise, it is absolutely wonderful to get on the scale and get a different number (in the right direction!) almost every morning!

Best!!! Danielle =D>

Hi EricsMom,

Good work on your weight loss. I have to admit I have started eating other foods beyond just the liquids. I just couldn't do it anymore. I still eat only soft foods and chew everything to excess. I went to Subway yesterday and got a salad. I could only eat about 1/4 of it. So I think I still have some restriction but not very much. I am going to continue doing what I am doing as I still am losing weight, but I do feel a bit guilty. I hope I dont ruin anything.

How is everything else going?

PreOp Diet Weight - 233.5

Op Day Weight - 222.5

Current - 217

Goal - 125

Well, just to update...

I didn't DO the Cambridge diet! OMG, I don't know why, I couldn't make it through DAY ONE! Duh, I guess that is why I got BANDED. LOL So, I get my next fill this coming Saturday, and I'm STILL hoping by some miracle, I can get down to at least 200 by my birthday!

I REALLY hope, and pray and BEG GOD to let this fill get me to my "sweet spot!"

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Donna :((