Day 5 Post-op and confused

Portlandgriff

Hi Everybody,

My Partner Tammy and I just got back from Mexico last night and the diet confusion has really hit. :wacko: I have read other post that have talked about eating cottage cheese, cream of wheat and other "mushy" foods, but and it is a still a big but. The information from Dr. Miranda is liquids for 21 days that

Different surgeons will give different post-op diets so it is easy to get confused. The diet Dr Miranda gave me said clear liquids the first couple of days, and then full liquids for three weeks after that. Basically, if it cannot got through a straw then I could not have it. Some doctors have a mushy stage where the patient can eat things like cottage cheese or mashed potatoes so that is probably where the confusion is coming from.

Hi - I'm 4 days post-op and I second the previous post - 4-7 days of total clear liquids (which I messed up yesterday according to my husband when I had v-8 juice - hey it looked clear to me! :lol: ) and then full protein for the remainder of the 3 weeks. For instance, Dr. Miranda told me that I could have those yoghurt drinks as of days 4-7 - then by day 7, I can have "full protein drinks" like Optifast. It also includes creamy soups, as long as there is no chewing involved.

I had the procedure on the 29th, and I"m cleared to start solids on the 18th of September - so yours would be 2 days earlier. Until then, we get to sip sip sip!

Hope this helps

Danielle

Hi - I'm 4 days post-op and I second the previous post - 4-7 days of total clear liquids (which I messed up yesterday according to my husband when I had v-8 juice - hey it looked clear to me! :lol: ) and then full protein for the remainder of the 3 weeks. For instance, Dr. Miranda told me that I could have those yoghurt drinks as of days 4-7 - then by day 7, I can have "full protein drinks" like Optifast. It also includes creamy soups, as long as there is no chewing involved.

I had the procedure on the 29th, and I"m cleared to start solids on the 18th of September - so yours would be 2 days earlier. Until then, we get to sip sip sip!

Hope this helps

Danielle

p.s. sorry - didn't mean "full protein" for the remainder of the 3 weeks - I meant, full liquids (as in clear and opaque!)

Hey Danielle, it is Kathy here. How are you doing? We got stuck in Mexico because of the border strike and couldn't go home till late Friday night. We went down to Rosarita and sat on the beach for awhile.

I am feeling about the same as you. My port is very sore, but better today then it has been. I started the yogurt drinks today and they seem to go down okay. I am very hungry, but I know that I will get to eat soon (just not as much) so that keeps me going for now. I have been taking my husband's Vicodin which has helped me with the pain and with sleeping.

I haven't told anyone either. My husband told everyone that I was having some female surgery. LOL. Of course no-one asked any questions after hearing that!

I am looking forward to hearing from Stephanie.

Take care and keep in touch

Kathy

Hey Danielle, it is Kathy here. How are you doing? We got stuck in Mexico because of the border strike and couldn't go home till late Friday night. We went down to Rosarita and sat on the beach for awhile.

I am feeling about the same as you. My port is very sore, but better today then it has been. I started the yogurt drinks today and they seem to go down okay. I am very hungry, but I know that I will get to eat soon (just not as much) so that keeps me going for now. I have been taking my husband's Vicodin which has helped me with the pain and with sleeping.

I haven't told anyone either. My husband told everyone that I was having some female surgery. LOL. Of course no-one asked any questions after hearing that!

I am looking forward to hearing from Stephanie.

Take care and keep in touch

Kathy

Hi Kathy!! There is another post where I am looking for you and Stephanie - she answered there -- I'm so glad I checked here as well!

I didn't realize there was a border strike! Oh my. I left Thursday early in the a.m. so in some ways, that's lucky, even though by Thursday evening, I was feeling a bit more sore than I probably should have felt because of the 3+ hour car ride. It went so quickly that it's all such a blur! I saw Dr. Ortiz for about a millisecond before falling asleep - I think that I said something about "him supposedely being handsome but I'm not wearing my glasses so please come closer so I can have a look" !! How embarrassing is that!!

Today, I'm just sore sore sore around the stomach area - feels like a lot of tightening going on. I think that I'm probably pushing it on the drinking, but I I was so hungry by day 3 (I called it day 4 because I had surgery early in the day! :lol: ) So I started with the full liquid - or my take on it, at least! I hope I'm doing everything right!

How's your three-year old treating you? Does she want to be held? Mine keeps hitting my stomach by accident -- ugh! It was easier when he was 3 and I had the other operation I mentioned!

I wish I had had the foresight of saying "female problem surgery" -- hiatal hernia surgery just opens to door for so many questions (and an unbelievable number of people who've had it!) I just KNOW I'm going to get caught one of these days...I'm such a horrible liar!

Stay in touch! Between Stephanie, you and I (and whoever was banded around our day!) I would love us to share our journey and experiences!

Best ><' Danielle

Hi Kathy!! There is another post where I am looking for you and Stephanie - she answered there -- I'm so glad I checked here as well!

I didn't realize there was a border strike! Oh my. I left Thursday early in the a.m. so in some ways, that's lucky, even though by Thursday evening, I was feeling a bit more sore than I probably should have felt because of the 3+ hour car ride. It went so quickly that it's all such a blur! I saw Dr. Ortiz for about a millisecond before falling asleep - I think that I said something about "him supposedely being handsome but I'm not wearing my glasses so please come closer so I can have a look" !! How embarrassing is that!!

Today, I'm just sore sore sore around the stomach area - feels like a lot of tightening going on. I think that I'm probably pushing it on the drinking, but I I was so hungry by day 3 (I called it day 4 because I had surgery early in the day! :lol: ) So I started with the full liquid - or my take on it, at least! I hope I'm doing everything right!

How's your three-year old treating you? Does she want to be held? Mine keeps hitting my stomach by accident -- ugh! It was easier when he was 3 and I had the other operation I mentioned!

I wish I had had the foresight of saying "female problem surgery" -- hiatal hernia surgery just opens to door for so many questions (and an unbelievable number of people who've had it!) I just KNOW I'm going to get caught one of these days...I'm such a horrible liar!

Stay in touch! Between Stephanie, you and I (and whoever was banded around our day!) I would love us to share our journey and experiences!

Best ><' Danielle

It's true.. every surgeon has his/her own advise on post-op diet restrictions. But all have the same goal. Prevent further iritation that might cause a violent reaction ( vomiting) before the band settles in.

Dr. Miranda's advise is the most conservative of all. And why not be on the safe side and make sure nothing happens. Did I follow it .. no. She was hard and fast on the clear liquids for 4-5 days.. I completed that out of fear!!! But I went to every other stage faster than her advise, but with caution. I have the VG band. After the 4-5 days of swelling, there wasn't any restriction... period. But someone with a small band, smaller stomach might have restriction at 4-5 days after surery and they should continue on the liquid stage.. We are all individual cases, if you want no risks follow DR. Miranda's advise. But if you are going to cheat.. cheat with the next stage don't go from clear liquids to a loaded bagel. Go to the next stage slowly.

Thanks for the good advice it is appreciated. On Day 7 I actually had some soup that I quess I did't puree enough and ate too fast. So I had an episode of PB'ing and sliming. I am trying ot stick with the liquid but all I can think about it chewing food. Today I had some chicken noodle soup and I didn't puree at all but made sure I ate small bites slowly and I did ok. The chunks of food did satisfy my need to chew and since it was still mosly liquid it went through without any problem.

I am going to stay on the protein shakes for the most part with an occational bowl of soup.

Again thanks!!!

If you really need to chew something try gum or sugar-free Popsicles. Helped make me a little less crazy on liquids. Just don't swallow the gum.

I'm all about the gum! Lol. I haven't been this minty fresh in I don't know how long. Lol. I've also taken bites of solids (usually what my kids and hubby are eating for dinner) chewed and spit it out. It's gross, I know, :blink: but it does the trick. I've found that most of those things didn't really taste as amazing as I had built them up to be in my head!