Overfills

I had lap band surg in Nov 05 by Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. I went to a local KC doc for my fills. My first fill was 1.25 cc (I have the 10. Inamed band) and I seemed super tight for a few days and really tight in the a.m. So dinner was my really big meal of the day. No breakfast and a little light lunch. Then at dinner I could eat close to 1/2 of pre-band amounts. I was losing but felt discouraged as dinner was my big meal and then I would get into yogurt within one hour after dinner. So I go my 2nd adj of 1.5 and it was too tight. I swallowed the water but felt pressure. By midnight I could not even swallow my saliva. I had to get in the next day and have .5 taken out? Now I can't seem to get my proteins down but oatmeal, popcorn, soup will go down after 11 a.m. My proteins are what I need to get down!!!!!

Can any of you tell me what to expect? It is 6 months before your fill really holds you back? I know the morning tightness is common. My third fill is scheduled for March 13.

Thanks in advance for any of your replies.

Kay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kay... You said:

I was losing but felt discouraged as dinner was my big meal and then I would get into yogurt within one hour after dinner.

If you are able to eat what you need and are still losing weight,why the discouragement? I have the same eating pattern, nothing in the AM, very very light lunch, then a pretty good sized dinner... and quite frankly that seems ideal to me! As long as you are losing and still able to get your nutrition, dont judge whether a meal is "too big" or not and rush off to get a fill so you will eat less... you already have health AND weight loss... anything else about a dinner being "too big" is a misperception on your part and being too quick to judge yourself harshly... DONT DO IT!!! Your benchmark should be weight loss coupled with getting the proper nutrition... once you have those things, let the rest happen... good luck to you... Kyle :D

I am nearly a year out and I can't eat within 3 hours of waking. Only warm liquids. I have gotten used to it. I think you sounded fine with your first fill. I know it is discouraging to eat a larger meal at night but most of us are that way too. The thing with the band is that it is not a catch all. Sometimes you really need to exercise good judgement and better choices.

You can go ahead and eat a larger meal at night and make sure it is a healthy choice. Then go ahead and have a healthy snack at night. No problems. Remember that you are only really going to lose 1-3 lbs a week for the first year. It is a slow, gradual and healthier process of losing weight. I think you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones that don't battle the all day choices. This way, you only have to battle the choices for dinner. I know it sounds wierd, but I actually like it that way. I am not hungry at breakfast, I eat a small small small lunch and satisfied, then I just make sure I concentrate on a good "diet" for dinner. And viola!! The weight comes off!

Make sure you are also doing some exercises to double the efforts! I enjoy a nice quiet walk, nothing strenuous, just a stroll with the dog around the block about an hour after dinner. Just to get everything settled and moving. Once you go to bed, then you get to start again in the morning. There is a little bit of self control that you have to practice with the band (which was hard for me to get used to since I wanted it to melt off and it didn't without me trying a bit).

If you are still losing 1-3 lbs a week and practicing all the bandster rules then just slow down and relaxxxxxxxxx, it will take time. We didn't put all this weight on in a few months so we can't expect it to come off that fast either. I don't think you should be discouraged but feel FANTASTIC that the band is doing its job!! Fairly soon, you will really notice the changes and it will make you feel great! Making your band too tight can eventually cause problems and you don't want that.

Good luck and keep on truckin' on the road to success!!

I had lap band surg in Nov 05 by Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez.  I went to a local KC doc for my fills.  My first fill was 1.25 cc (I have the 10. Inamed band)  and I seemed super tight for a few days and really tight in the a.m.  So dinner was my really big meal of the day. No breakfast and a little light lunch.  Then at dinner I could eat close to 1/2 of  pre-band amounts.  I was losing but felt discouraged as dinner was my big meal and then I would get into yogurt within one hour after dinner.  So I go my 2nd adj of 1.5 and it was too tight. I swallowed the water but felt pressure. By midnight I could not even swallow my saliva.  I had to get in the next day and have .5 taken out?  Now I can't seem to get my proteins down but oatmeal, popcorn, soup will go down after 11 a.m.  My proteins are what I need to get down!!!!!

Can any of you tell me what to expect?  It is 6 months before your fill really holds you back? I know the morning tightness is common.  My third fill is scheduled for March 13.

Thanks in advance for any of your replies.

Kay

1941[/snapback]

Hi Kay... You said:

I was losing but felt discouraged as dinner was my big meal and then I would get into yogurt within one hour after dinner.

If you are able to eat what you need and are still losing weight,why the discouragement?  I have the same eating pattern, nothing in the AM, very very light lunch, then a pretty good sized dinner... and quite frankly that seems ideal to me!  As long as you are losing and still able to get your nutrition, dont judge whether a meal is "too big" or not and rush off to get a fill so you will eat less... you already have health AND weight loss... anything else about a dinner being "too big" is a misperception on your part and being too quick to judge yourself harshly... DONT DO IT!!!  Your benchmark should be weight loss coupled with getting the proper nutrition... once you have those things, let the rest happen... good luck to you... Kyle  :D

1966[/snapback]

Thanks Kyle for the encouragement. I am into a smaller size jeans since my 2nd fill/unfill. I will just learn to accept that I won't be eating much breakfast or lunch and not FREAK over dinner anymore. It is not so easy to mess up the whole days worth of calories in a few hours. I could but I don't.

I am nearly a year out and I can't eat within 3 hours of waking.  Only warm liquids.  I have gotten used to it.  I think you sounded fine with your first fill.  I know it is discouraging to eat a larger meal at night but most of us are that way too.  The thing with the band is that it is not a catch all.  Sometimes you really need to exercise good judgement and better choices. 

You can go ahead and eat a larger meal at night and make sure it is a healthy choice.  Then go ahead and have a healthy snack at night.  No problems.  Remember that you are only really going to lose 1-3 lbs a week for the first year.  It is a slow, gradual and healthier process of losing weight.  I think you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones that don't battle the all day choices.  This way, you only have to battle the choices for dinner.  I know it sounds wierd, but I actually like it that way.  I am not hungry at breakfast, I eat a small small small lunch and satisfied, then I just make sure I concentrate on a good "diet" for dinner.  And viola!!  The weight comes off! 

Make sure you are also doing some exercises to double the efforts!  I enjoy a nice quiet walk, nothing strenuous, just a stroll with the dog around the block about an hour after dinner.  Just to get everything settled and moving.  Once you go to bed, then you get to start again in the morning.  There is a little bit of self control that you have to practice with the band (which was hard for me to get used to since I wanted it to melt off and it didn't without me trying a bit).

If you are still losing 1-3 lbs a week and practicing all the bandster rules then just slow down and relaxxxxxxxxx, it will take time.  We didn't put all this weight on in a few months so we can't expect it to come off that fast either.  I don't think you should be discouraged but feel FANTASTIC that the band is doing its job!!  Fairly soon, you will really notice the changes and it will make you feel great!  Making your band too tight can eventually cause problems and you don't want that.

Good luck and keep on truckin' on the road to success!!

1970[/snapback]

Thanks Jenna. It is so nice to hear I am normal and will not FREAK out so bad about my dinner now.