Any guys in this group?

So I am sick and tired of sleep apnea and my weight keeping me from living life to it's fullest. March 13th I arrive in TJ and the 14th I become a shadow of my former self, or at least start the adventure. As a guy I notice I am out numbered. I wonder whether the Guys are just too uptight and macho to post or just or am I in the wrong forum. I don't care though I made up my mind and I am feeling more excitement than fear, besides what is the worst thing that could happen? I might wake up in a seedy TJ motel bath tub full of ice wondering where my liver and kidneys are! Sorry I digressed. Actually I think my months of research will pay off as I believe I have one of the finest surgeons in the world for this type of surgery! I look forward to meeting Dr. Ortiz. Speaking to him on the phone eased some concerns. So heres a Big Howdy to you ladies from a big bad biker who is wanting to save his ass rather than his look good!

Luznit... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You will NEVER wake up in a seedy motel when it comes to Dr. Ortiz... he is one of the best in the world at this... any doc you will find practicing in the US, has only been placing the band 5 years or so, but Dr. Ortiz has been doing this for either 10 or 12 years (cant remember exactly). Plus, since I saw him last, Im pretty sure he carries his own liver and kidneys with him!! LOL

The day I was banded, there was a man from Alabama getting his band too, so there are men out there, maybe they just don't yak it up on boards like the chicks do!

I remember my excitement leading up to surgery, just enjoy it all, and expect that there might be a learning curve in terms of how to eat differently after surgery. The gassiness, bloating and hatred of chicken broth will subside (trust me)... but after that, you will have to learn what you can and cant eat with the band in order to be successful... it varies from person to person...but what I find most amazing is that my hunger and pull/desire to eat is really gone! I do get hungry, but my "emotional need" to eat is gone, and so is the running conversation in my head about what to eat/not to eat... I eat whatever I want whenever I want... the key is, I dont want to eat a lot and cant, so it's effortless.

Ive lost 40 lbs in 5 months, which seems slow to me given other weight loss surgeries, but everyone around me insists that's fast... and when I think that I will have lost 90 lbs in 10 months or so,WOW!!!, I know how fast that is.

So keep us posted on your journey, and know that you are not alone!

Take care... Kyle (yeah, Im a chick!)

Hi luzinit, I am a guy and had my band put in by Dr Ortiz in August, 05. Let me tell you as a guy that struggled with a wieght problem for many years getting the band probably saved my life. And I don't mean it saved my life as far as medical problems, even though I do have sleep apnea from being too fat. I mean it saved my life as far as myself esteam is concerned. I had hit rock bottom and thought there was know hope for me to drop wieght on my own, and to tell you the truth I felt like a complete failure. So when I decided to get surgery I looked here in Canada where I live and hit another brick wall because even though our health care covered the surgery it was a four year wait. At tht point I felt like there was no hope and I was done like dinner. And then I found Dr Ortiz on the net. But the first thing that went through my mind was surgery in TJ are you nuts, I have been to TJ before, where are they doing surgery in the back of a store somewhere at the border. So even though I was very freaked out about having surgery in TJ I checked it out anyway. And after checking out everything and I mean EVERYTHING I found Dr Ortiz was more than qualified. So it was decision time. Get busy living or get busy dying!!! And would have been dying if I didn't go to Dr Ortiz. And let me tell you now I am down 70 lbs since my surgery and I am LIVIN and loving life. Let me tell you just in the complements I get every day on how good I look is enough in it's self. But it is also all the other things that go with it. Like being able to sit in a booth when I go out to eat with my wife or buying new pants! I have thrown out ALL my fat pants! And chicks are digin me, well my wife is and she's the number one chick.

So, I am glad you decided to get the surgery done and especially by Dr Ortiz as he is a great guy, and I know you will not regret it.(Even if it cost you a kidney, you have a spare) just joking.

Good Luck!!

Seanymoss

Seanymoss, What part of Canada are you from? I am just across the ferry from Victoria? How are you going to get a fill done, travel to the States or do You have to wait four years to get your provincial doctors to do it? Socialized medicine is pretty cool in theory but I listen to alot of Canadian radio and think I'm better off paying an arm and a leg, or kidney perhaps...

• 4 weeks later...

As a guy I notice I am out numbered. I wonder whether the Guys are just too uptight and macho to post or just or am I in the wrong forum. !

I'm pre-op and have been wanting to hear from men who have had their band. Maybe we should have a "Guys Only" running posting.

Guest bigger

I'm a guy. I had my surgery almost 2 years now. I have gained weight so it doesnt work for everyone. Consider the hell you will be living every time you throw up and cant join friends for dinner or not be able to travel or pretty much lead any kind of life and still gain weight and be 10,000 dollars poorer.

That's crap!!!!! I am 90 lbs lighter, I don't puke every time I eat, and I travel between Canada and the US all the time. And this surgery saved my life and many others!! It sounds like things didn't work out for you and I feel for you. But for you to use your experience to try and scare people on this site is way out of line! Give your head a shake! You are a very small percentage. So if you can't use the problems that your having in a constructive manor instead of trying to scare the shit out of people that are coming to this site looking for advise and most importantly SUPPORT, TAKE A HIKE!!!!!

Your negitive opinion IS NOT Wanted!!!!!!!

Oh, Also to you comment that you 10,000.00 poorer. To me and I will tell any one who ask though I may be 10,00.00 poor in my bank. But I am now a million dollars rich in my life now! And remember this, you can't take it with you when you die!

Luzinet,

As a fellow Puget Sounder I would like to respectfully ask you why you decided to go to Tj for banding instead of using one of the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area physicians? I am in the process of trying to get insurance OK to proceed with the surgery and want to find the best place to go. The local clinics offer wonderful follow-up and I wonder, how does one get that service from Dr. Ortiz? Would you be willing to share the thought process for going out of the area?

Thank you!

Blessings,

Kelli

• 2 weeks later...

Luzinet,

As a fellow Puget Sounder I would like to respectfully ask you why you decided to go to Tj for banding instead of using one of the Seattle/Tacoma/Everett area physicians? I am in the process of trying to get insurance OK to proceed with the surgery and want to find the best place to go. The local clinics offer wonderful follow-up and I wonder, how does one get that service from Dr. Ortiz? Would you be willing to share the thought process for going out of the area?

Thank you!

Blessings,

Kelli

Kelli, I chose to go to Tj because my insurance company Regence would not cover any part of my surgery. I went to a seminar and got quotes for $25,000 and up stateside. I researched doctors in Mexico and believe I found one of the very best in the field. Dr. Ortiz has been Inameds proctor surgion for more years than the US doctors have been approved to use the band. He has taught many of the doctors in our area. I am not against surgery in the states. I just couldn't afford the cost compared to what I spent out of pocket. In total I spent $9500.00 including airfair. The Hospital was very clean, modern, and well staffed. Doctor Ortiz and staff were far more informative and comforting than previous surgerys I have had in Seattle. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Now to the gentleman who wasted $10,000, This procedure is a tool for weightloss, if you are puking at every meal you are not listening to your body telling you you are full. Remember Three meals a day and no drinking for 1 hour after meals. Protein and vegi's first....No sweets ect... I have a responsibility to me to keep my commitment to me. You might have wasted $10,000 but it is because of your actions and behaviors. Seek a support group in your area and don't give up on yourself or the possibility of losing weight. I am part of my solution today not my problem. Take care Andy