I Cheated

phatboy

i was banded a week ago and i followed the clear liquid stage but when it was time to go to pureed foods i skipped to mushy foods like very runny mashed potatoes and i just had mac & cheese with zero restriction, no pain or anything. I am feeling very guilty about cheating and am afraid i could have messed up my band. would i know if it slipped or anything else was wrong? has anyone else eaten these types of foods this early?

i was banded a week ago and i followed the clear liquid stage but when it was time to go to pureed foods i skipped to mushy foods like very runny mashed potatoes and i just had mac & cheese with zero restriction, no pain or anything. I am feeling very guilty about cheating and am afraid i could have messed up my band. would i know if it slipped or anything else was wrong? has anyone else eaten these types of foods this early?

Hi,Don't feel alone, I cheated early as well. I couldn't take it any longer so I also graduated to creamy soups and I even tried a little rice pudding and had no problems. I heard that you will know if your band slipped because you'll vomit a lot.Believe me i called my doctor plenty of times because i've been so nervous about everything i eat. Good luck and best wishes-

Valerie

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Phatboy, take a deep breath and relax. Now stop cheating!!!! Lol. I know it's so hard, I just went through it myself. It doesn't sound like you've messed up your band, but you shouldn't push it. Your stomach needs time to heal with your band in the correct place, so stop sabotaging yourself and think of how sad you will be if your band does slip. Trust me, if I can make it through the liquid stage (even if I WAS cranky and white-knuckling it the whole time!), then anyone can. I know everyone says that, but in my case it's true. I'm the most self-indulgent person alive! My thought process was always that I wanted to be happy for today, because I could die tomorrow, and food was what made me feel happy. Well, the way I was eating, eventually "I could die tomorrow" was fast becoming a possibility. I started having heart palpitations at 27 years old. It was a slow suicide for me. Don't sabotage yourself. Just get through the liquid stage. You CAN do it. You can. Now I'm SO glad I've made it through that stage, and you will too. I'm ready to start being proud of myself for a change. Be proud that you made the decision to get healthy and do your best to see it through. You don't want to lose your band. You can go on YouTube and watch video journals of people who lost their bands. You don't want to be one of them if you can avoid it.

Good luck, you CAN do it! Hugs! ><' ><' ><'

~Lauren

(sorry if I sounded harsh, I wasn't trying to be...) :P

Oh, and you know what I used to do while on liquids? If I was DYING for a bite of something, I would chew it up and spit it out. That's gross I know, but I found that the food usually didn't taste as wonderful as I'd built it up to be in my mind... and I didn't have the guilt that came with ingesting it.

so this is my first my post and i'm kind of bummed that it would be under the "I cheated" post because I did! I got banded two weeks ago and i was starting on creamy soups but it was just so delicious. i couldn't stop. i saw a bag of chips and dipped it in the soup then i chewed it to mush and ate it! Then I moved on to a sandwhich with cheese! i didn't slime, vomit, or pbed. I FEEL SO GUILTY :( Does anyone know what damage I've done? I know we're supposed to be on liquids for three weeks to heal properly. I can't do the chew it up and spit it out because by the time I'm done chewing i've already swallowed it :blink:

I can't stress enough, please don't cheat! I know the food is irresistible. That's why we are in this position we are all in, that darn delicious food. But the guilt you have now from cheating will be a thousand times worse if you cause your band to slip. You will have put yourself through surgery for nothing and wasted a great opportunity to change your life for the better. I heard Oprah say once, "As great as that food tastes, isn't nearly as great as it feels to be thin." I remind myself of that periodically. I want to know what thin feels like, it sure sounds pretty great!!! Please follow the doctor's directions, he has a good reason for giving them, he wants you to succeed! And so do we! ><'

Good luck, tomorrow is a fresh new day!

~Lauren

I sooo feel for you all. But, if I can make it, like Lauren said, anyone can! Especially if waiting to catch the plane home and right next to our gate was a Starbucks and Pizza Hut next to each other and being able to talk myself out of a frappacino(liquid), then anyone can survive it. I adore Starbucks! It was so hard.

I WILL say this though...I got to a point about the second week where I was so starved and having a full blown pity party, that I saw something so good(can't remember what it was), that I chewed it while leaning over the garbage can and spit it out. Not everyone likes that idea, but it helped more than once. ; ) I did not make a habit of doing that. Only when I was so hungry I couldn't stand it. Once, I almost passed out when I accidentally swallowed some really moist chicken. I was so freaked out that I started shaking and was so scared I was going to PB or throw up or something. Nothing happened, but that fear was enough to stop taking chances and behave and take care and listen to my band.

I have never PB'd or vomited yet, and don't plan to. I feel very in tune with my band. Right now I am in serious need of another fill. It's that time of year where weakness to certain foods is getting too easy to eat....if ya know what i mean. LOL

Take care and take care of your band.

Peace,

Judy

I sooo feel for you all. But, if I can make it, like Lauren said, anyone can! Especially if waiting to catch the plane home and right next to our gate was a Starbucks and Pizza Hut next to each other and being able to talk myself out of a frappacino(liquid), then anyone can survive it. I adore Starbucks! It was so hard.

I WILL say this though...I got to a point about the second week where I was so starved and having a full blown pity party, that I saw something so good(can't remember what it was), that I chewed it while leaning over the garbage can and spit it out. Not everyone likes that idea, but it helped more than once. ; ) I did not make a habit of doing that. Only when I was so hungry I couldn't stand it. Once, I almost passed out when I accidentally swallowed some really moist chicken. I was so freaked out that I started shaking and was so scared I was going to PB or throw up or something. Nothing happened, but that fear was enough to stop taking chances and behave and take care and listen to my band.

I have never PB'd or vomited yet, and don't plan to. I feel very in tune with my band. Right now I am in serious need of another fill. It's that time of year where weakness to certain foods is getting too easy to eat....if ya know what i mean. LOL

Take care and take care of your band.

Peace,

Judy

You sounds like me, Judy! The chew it up and spit it out thing gave me relief several times when my will-power was weak!

• 4 weeks later...
You sounds like me, Judy! The chew it up and spit it out thing gave me relief several times when my will-power was weak!

><' ><' LOL!!!!! Oh my gosh, I diD the same thing. made A PIECE OF TOAST AND SPIT IT OUT, WHEN RINSED MY MOUTH OUT WITH SODA (SPIT IT OUT TOO) iT DID HELP. HAVEN'T DONE IT SENCE. AT LEAST WE ARE "HONEST" LOL BRENNY

OOPPSSS SOORY BOUT THE CAPS

• 3 weeks later...

i cheated too!!! I've been banded for 9 days now and considering i've been on a liquid diet since november 6th (it's now nov. 29th) I caved!!! I ate some crackers with cheese and some tortilla chips. I'm so afraid my band slipped! How would I know? am i going ot be okay?