IF U WANT IT DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, GO TO ORTIZ!!!

I got my first fill last Friday. Did not go to Ortiz in TJ. My bad!!!!! #-o

I had a "blind" fill done locally because I was trying to save time and money rather than going to Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Dumb me!

First fill last Friday cost $300. And that was for a physician's assistant to do it!! Not even the doctor!!! When I first called the office about getting fills, I asked tons of questions, one was "how many fills has the doctor done?" Their answer: "thousands"... Hmmm, yet, I got a PA. Maybe the PA's been doing fills for years too, but I still think I'm being over-charged! ((He was very nice, I'm not putting him down for being a PA. I'm just shocked that I was charged so much and I never even met the doctor!!))1.5 cc was put in at first because I was asked if I wanted to be agressive and I said "yes". A drink of water got stuck, so .5 cc's taken out. Was STARVING all weekend, and no restriction.....

Flash forward 4 days to Tuesday. Went back to doctor for more... I was thinking .25 cc's or so... Ended up with another whole 1 cc!! Total = 2cc's. In the office, I felt fine. Water went down OK. Restricted, but not overly so. =D> Cost: Another $100!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

However, for the rest of the day, I wasn't able to swallow anything w/o PBing and sliming!! :( Now too restricted!! Can't even keep down water!!

So, yet ANOTHER appointment tomorrow (Wednesday) morning to take some out at a cost of $50 :angry: . Total thus far for first fill = $450, and not sure if they'll get it right this time!!!!!!!!!

So, who knows when this money pit and frustration will end!!?? When I first called this local doctor about fills, they told me the initial $300 was good for about 2 weeks of adjustments. LIARS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

They keep charging me every single time!!! Saying too many patients "abused" getting fills and unfilled for holidays etc, so they charge everytime now. OMG!! What idiots! THIS WAS MY FIRST FRIGGIN FILL!!!! And they told me $300 would cover adjusting it for a couple of weeks!!!! I'M PISSED!!!

((Side note, the PA was impressed that my Lap Band surgeon -Ortiz- was the author of LAP BAND FOR LIFE, because they recommend that book to their patients!!))

This is ridiculous!! I should have gone to Ortiz in the first place!!!!!! It would have cost $100 for him to do my fill using flouro x-ray, $140 for r/t plane ticket, $130 for Ortiz's driver to pick me up and drop me off from San Diego to TJ and $85 for one night in hotel room. Total = $455 for friendly professional people I know and trust!!!

Did I make a mistake? I don't know. But right now I'm kicking myself!! #-o

Just took a sip of water and PB'd it up and slimed!!! A SIP OF WATER!!!!!

I'll update tomorrow after my 3rd appointment. Maybe I'm just cranky because "Aunt Flow" just arrived today!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting weight: 7/01/2007; 235 lbs 33.7 BMI

Surgery weight: 8/13/2007; 224 lbs 32.1 BMI

Current weight: 10/09/2007; 204 lbs 29.3 BMI

Goal weight: May/1/2008; 159 lbs 22.8 BMI

1st fill: 10/05/07 1cc then 10/9/07 1cc = 2cc total OVER RESTRICTED!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by kimmizing

I had a "blind" fill done locally because I was trying to save time and money rather than going to Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Dumb me!

First fill last Friday cost $300. And that was for a physician's assistant to do it!! Not even the doctor!!! When I first called the office about getting fills, I asked tons of questions, one was "how many fills has the doctor done?" Their answer: "thousands"... Hmmm, yet, I got a PA. Maybe the PA's been doing fills for years too, but I still think I'm being over-charged! ((He was very nice, I'm not putting him down for being a PA. I'm just shocked that I was charged so much and I never even met the doctor!!))1.5 cc was put in at first because I was asked if I wanted to be agressive and I said "yes". A drink of water got stuck, so .5 cc's taken out. Was STARVING all weekend, and no restriction.....

Flash forward 4 days to Tuesday. Went back to doctor for more... I was thinking .25 cc's or so... Ended up with another whole 1 cc!! Total = 2cc's. In the office, I felt fine. Water went down OK. Restricted, but not overly so. =D> Cost: Another $100!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

However, for the rest of the day, I wasn't able to swallow anything w/o PBing and sliming!! :( Now too restricted!! Can't even keep down water!!

So, yet ANOTHER appointment tomorrow (Wednesday) morning to take some out at a cost of $50 :angry: . Total thus far for first fill = $450, and not sure if they'll get it right this time!!!!!!!!!

So, who knows when this money pit and frustration will end!!?? When I first called this local doctor about fills, they told me the initial $300 was good for about 2 weeks of adjustments. LIARS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

They keep charging me every single time!!! Saying too many patients "abused" getting fills and unfilled for holidays etc, so they charge everytime now. OMG!! What idiots! THIS WAS MY FIRST FRIGGIN FILL!!!! And they told me $300 would cover adjusting it for a couple of weeks!!!! I'M PISSED!!!

((Side note, the PA was impressed that my Lap Band surgeon -Ortiz- was the author of LAP BAND FOR LIFE, because they recommend that book to their patients!!))

This is ridiculous!! I should have gone to Ortiz in the first place!!!!!! It would have cost $100 for him to do my fill using flouro x-ray, $140 for r/t plane ticket, $130 for Ortiz's driver to pick me up and drop me off from San Diego to TJ and $85 for one night in hotel room. Total = $455 for friendly professional people I know and trust!!!

I'll update tomorrow after my 3rd appointment. Maybe I'm just cranky because "Aunt Flow" just arrived today!!!

According to several female Lapbandforum members, that time of the month can effect your band restriction. I'd call your OCC coordinator for some advice "today".

See if there's a Fills Centers USA around you. I don't know about the other "fillers" but Darlene who works in GA is AWESOME. Plus they have a 72 hour free unfill if you need it.

BTW, I had the same experience even going back to the OCC - I was fine for a day or two, then had to fly back for an unfill after another couple of days - I couldn't swallow my own spit :(

And as Dolittle mentioned, Aunt Flo can make me tighter than a virgin on prom night. So far, that's worked to my advantage, but I'm getting a hysterectomy in a few weeks so I'm sure I'm going to need a fill after that, lol.

But if you're in danger of getting dehydrated, get back ASAP and then try again after your period is over.

According to several female Lapbandforum members, that time of the month can effect your band restriction. I'd call your OCC coordinator for some advice "today".

WOW!! I didn't realize that!!!!!!!! I'll have to remember that info!!!!! Thanks!

See if there's a Fills Centers USA around you. I don't know about the other "fillers" but Darlene who works in GA is AWESOME. Plus they have a 72 hour free unfill if you need it.

BTW, I had the same experience even going back to the OCC - I was fine for a day or two, then had to fly back for an unfill after another couple of days - I couldn't swallow my own spit :(

And as Dolittle mentioned, Aunt Flo can make me tighter than a virgin on prom night. So far, that's worked to my advantage, but I'm getting a hysterectomy in a few weeks so I'm sure I'm going to need a fill after that, lol.

But if you're in danger of getting dehydrated, get back ASAP and then try again after your period is over.

Thanks for the info!! There's a Fill Center USA in Los Angeles, but they don't do flouro. The closest flouro Fill Center to me in the USA is in Colorado!! So TJ's closer!! LOL... After today's visit (un-fill of .25 cc), I feel muuuuuuuch better!! And in a better mood!!

I appreciate the info about the fill being too tight for you, even from Ortiz's office. I assumed that using the flouro was "fool-proof". I'm now learning that NOTHING is "fool-proof" when it comes to the Band. And the period thing!!? OMG!! This is going to be an interesting ride!!!!! LOL

FEELING MUUUUUCH BETTER TODAY AFTER A .25 CC UNFILL!!!!!!!!!!!!

(9 weeks and 3 days after Lap Band, 33.5 lbs lost, 42.5 to go!!):

OK, got .25 cc taken out today. Now I'm at 1.75 cc and it feels just right!!! SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!! :P

Man-o-man!! This banding thing is complicated!! I did have to pay $50 for the un-fill (total for this whole first fill to get it right: $450.00). Oh well..... The PA and nurses are all very nice, and I didn't have to go away overnight (such as going to TJ requires), so that's a positive thing.

Now some good news! I'm now able to drink water and protein shakes w/o PBing and sliming!! YAY! Haven't eaten or drank a thing in 2 1/2 days!! And although I don't expect it to last, I've lost a good 10 pounds in a week!!

I'm soooooooooooooooooooo close to crossing the 200 lb frontier into the 100's!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO!! Haven't been under 200 lbs in over 2 years!! =D>

Now kinda some bad news... Well, not so much bad as it is naughty!!!!!!! I haven't been doing ANY exercising at all!! I'm a naughty lazy girl and I need to get my butt in gear or my skin's gonna be hanging down to my knees this summer!!! I want to start horse-back riding and jumping again, but need to get into shape first..........................{{bad me!! blush....}} #-o

Well, I feel much more encouraged and positive today!!

HUGS!! ><'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current weight: 10/11/2007; 201.5 lbs 28.3 BMI

1st fill: 10/11/07 1.75 cc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~