Fear of Failing

Hi all, This is my very first post so bear with me. I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks, and I can't believe how scared I am. :(( The whole reason we are here is because we don't know how to stop eating when we should. I'm afraid that even with the band, I'll eat more than I should, and once again I will fail at my attempt to be thin. Would someone explain what "PBing" and "Sliming" means. I'm sure it will all be explained to me once I get to the clinic for my pre-op and post-op, but I'm pretty curious now. I continue to read your blogs some of which give me strength and some that don't. I need as much encouragement as I can possibly get. I'm also concerned about getting through those three weeks of liquid only. Yikes!!! :unsure:

We all had that fear of failing, but in the end, all we can do is our best. True failure is not doing anything to make ourselves better.

Pb'ing = Productive Burping. It is when food gets struck and comes back up. Unpleasant to be sure and you should do everything possible to avoid it, but not the end of the world.

Sliming is associated with PB'ing. When your stomach gets irritated it produces mucus to try and ease the blockage along. Sometimes the mucus comes up. The mucus is clear and closer to spit that snot, but still pretty gross.

Eating slowly, chewing thoroughly, identifying and avoiding problem foods, and maintaining a proper fill level will help you to avoid PB'ing and sliming.

Good luck!

I share your fears. I had my band Sept. 20 and was too thinking, "how in the heck am I going to stick to that strict diet pre-op and then clears for three weeks? If I was so good at dieting I wouldn't be needing a band." But something inside makes you do it.FEAR! I sure as heck didn't want to have complications and not be able to have the surgery. I was committed. Then after surgery. Well, no matter how good "food" looked, clears felt pretty good. And your stomach is pretty sensative and I got full on just a couple of cups of clears, even when taking just a spoonful at a time. Again, there is that FEAR FACTOR, I sure as heck didn't want to try "FOOD" and get it stuck, that would be terrible to mess up the whole banding surgery.

SO I made it, it has been three weeks and a couple of days. And now I have eaten food and damn it I am hungry as hell all the time. So I am going to post for help!!! I have no restriction, but of course I am chewing 20-30 times for every bite.

I have faith that as soon as I can get a fill I will be okay and will be able to eat small amounts and stay with the diet as I need to to lose the weight my body doesn't need. Good luck. ANd don't let fear of failure stop you from at least trying!!! Cyndi :rolleyes:

Thanks to those who responded, it really does help. It sounds like all we need to do to avoid PBing is to follow the instructions about eating slowly, chewing your food and not to over eat. Do we have to deal with the possibility of PBing for the rest of our lives tho? How do we know what foods are going to be a problem until it actually happens? Does that mean that eventually we will experience the PBing it's just a matter of time?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, This is my very first post so bear with me. I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks, and I can't believe how scared I am. :(( The whole reason we are here is because we don't know how to stop eating when we should. I'm afraid that even with the band, I'll eat more than I should, and once again I will fail at my attempt to be thin. Would someone explain what "PBing" and "Sliming" means. I'm sure it will all be explained to me once I get to the clinic for my pre-op and post-op, but I'm pretty curious now. I continue to read your blogs some of which give me strength and some that don't. I need as much encouragement as I can possibly get. I'm also concerned about getting through those three weeks of liquid only. Yikes!!! :unsure:

Hi Sassy,

I sent all my paper work in this week and my deposite. I am scheduled November 16th in TJ. When is your daite? I too am scared. I have started the lliquids and doing okay. I am trying to focus on what this tool will bring, not how hard it is. So far I have lost 5 lbs. Not a great deal but it is a start. I so want to change my health and that is my motivation. I have also bought my ticket down south. Yikes. That means I am really going. I won't be too anxious until I have to leave and so thankful to have a friend come along. I hope you have a support group. Do you? I have several friends I have confided in but keeping my co-workers out of the loop. I will wait until they start asking or commenting. I don't want to feel I am being "WATCHED" and just want to enjoy the ride.

When I decided, I started eating all my favorites. As I have gotten closer to November 1st, I have eatten less and less. Now I am on the liquid protein. I have about 3 weeks. I am sure I can make it. I will endure this because I am worth it!1 Good luck to you. Let me know if you are going at the same time and same place.

Shanny :D

I'm a newbie too! My surgery is out a ways--January 24. I'm a nurse so since the holidays are "just around the corner" this was the soonest date with the least amount of explaination. Not only am I a bit afraid of failing--tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, TOPS, Atkins,.......to infinity and beyond!!!.......but I've also met with some harsh criticism from any coworkers who do know what is pending for me. (If you had more willpower, you wouldn't be needing surgery OR even....If you can't even follow a simple diet--how do you expect to be a good role model as a nurse?---OUCH!!) My credibility has suffered in my workplace--but you know what? If I have to....I can get another job. What I can't get is another body without help. I have exercised and struggled for years--I refuse to be beaten down or defeated. I CAN follow a diet when I see results but I certainly can follow a program if I have a "buddy". I'm naming my Lapband "Lappy" the body-buddy. I have faith in those who have gone before me to open my eyes to the hazards and I'm sticking to the trail you all have forged! Ready or not---here I LOSE!

Great attitude Tammy. Are you having your surgery in Nebraska or elsewhere? I was originally scheduled for surgery on the 24th of October but due to the fires in San Diego they rescheduled me for November 7th. I'm still pretty scared about everything that has to be done once we have the band placed, but I'm willing to give it my very best attempt. Nothing else has worked for me.

Take care, and good luck.

I'm a newbie too! My surgery is out a ways--January 24. I'm a nurse so since the holidays are "just around the corner" this was the soonest date with the least amount of explaination. Not only am I a bit afraid of failing--tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, TOPS, Atkins,.......to infinity and beyond!!!.......but I've also met with some harsh criticism from any coworkers who do know what is pending for me. (If you had more willpower, you wouldn't be needing surgery OR even....If you can't even follow a simple diet--how do you expect to be a good role model as a nurse?---OUCH!!) My credibility has suffered in my workplace--but you know what? If I have to....I can get another job. What I can't get is another body without help. I have exercised and struggled for years--I refuse to be beaten down or defeated. I CAN follow a diet when I see results but I certainly can follow a program if I have a "buddy". I'm naming my Lapband "Lappy" the body-buddy. I have faith in those who have gone before me to open my eyes to the hazards and I'm sticking to the trail you all have forged! Ready or not---here I LOSE!

Don't worry! :unsure: I was scarried to death too that is normal. I was worried about over eating also. Once you get throught the 3 weeks of liquids and start eating solid you will know how much you can eat. If you eat to much you feel sick... and get nauses. Pbing is when you don't chew your food enough swallow and get stuck on it. When you get stuck you then burp and bring up food. It would be good if you could find someone local to talk to. I have my sister and can call and get answers. Good luck this is the begining of you new life.

Debra

Hi Sassy,

I sent all my paper work in this week and my deposite. I am scheduled November 16th in TJ. When is your daite? I too am scared. I have started the lliquids and doing okay. I am trying to focus on what this tool will bring, not how hard it is. So far I have lost 5 lbs. Not a great deal but it is a start. I so want to change my health and that is my motivation. I have also bought my ticket down south. Yikes. That means I am really going. I won't be too anxious until I have to leave and so thankful to have a friend come along. I hope you have a support group. Do you? I have several friends I have confided in but keeping my co-workers out of the loop. I will wait until they start asking or commenting. I don't want to feel I am being "WATCHED" and just want to enjoy the ride.

When I decided, I started eating all my favorites. As I have gotten closer to November 1st, I have eatten less and less. Now I am on the liquid protein. I have about 3 weeks. I am sure I can make it. I will endure this because I am worth it!1 Good luck to you. Let me know if you are going at the same time and same place.

Shanny :D

Hi Shanny, Thanks for your comments. I am going to TJ for my surgery on the 6th of November with surgery on the 7th. I have some concerns, nothing that everybody else hasn't felt I'm sure, but I know I'll be fine. I wish you much luck and great success.