Help...NO Restriction

I had surgery on September 25, and so far have lost between 19 and 24 pounds depending on the day. I know this is a lot and I am very excited, but I am getting discouraged at the same time. I seem to lose 2 pounds here and gain 2 pounds there. In the last two days I have gained 4 pounds. I just started eating last Thursday, and stuck to the liquid diet pretty faithfully. Unfortunately since starting back on solids, I am trying to watch my portions and the quality of food I am eating, but still can't seem to continue to drop consistantly. I know that until I have my first fill, which I might add isn't going to be for another 2 or 3 weeks, I will probably gain some of the weight back, but I have been so encouraged by my weight loss so far, I feel I will be failing until I start losing again. I also have come to the realization that I really don't have any or much restriction, though at some times I do. Up to this point I have thankfully only PB'ed once and it was not very bad, but this morning I ate a hard boiled egg and thought I was going to die....won't make that mistake again. That was this morning, but yesterday I felt I could have eaten a house as hungry as I was, so I finally gave in and ate a hand full of chips, but got right back on track after that eating healthier food. Then to my disappointment I had gained 2 pounds when I got on the scales this morning. I am really starting to obsess about what goes into my mouth and getting on the scales each morning....#-o Any encouragement or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I had surgery on September 25, and so far have lost between 19 and 24 pounds depending on the day. I know this is a lot and I am very excited, but I am getting discouraged at the same time. I seem to lose 2 pounds here and gain 2 pounds there. In the last two days I have gained 4 pounds. I just started eating last Thursday, and stuck to the liquid diet pretty faithfully. Unfortunately since starting back on solids, I am trying to watch my portions and the quality of food I am eating, but still can't seem to continue to drop consistantly. I know that until I have my first fill, which I might add isn't going to be for another 2 or 3 weeks, I will probably gain some of the weight back, but I have been so encouraged by my weight loss so far, I feel I will be failing until I start losing again. I also have come to the realization that I really don't have any or much restriction, though at some times I do. Up to this point I have thankfully only PB'ed once and it was not very bad, but this morning I ate a hard boiled egg and thought I was going to die....won't make that mistake again. That was this morning, but yesterday I felt I could have eaten a house as hungry as I was, so I finally gave in and ate a hand full of chips, but got right back on track after that eating healthier food. Then to my disappointment I had gained 2 pounds when I got on the scales this morning. I am really starting to obsess about what goes into my mouth and getting on the scales each morning....#-o Any encouragement or advise would be greatly appreciated.

A handful of chips has a lot of salt ... and wherever salt goes water follows. Drink some extra water to help flush out the sodium and dont beat yourself up about it too much just try to make better choices from now on. Getting your protein in first might help.

Easy for me to say while im still on the liquid post op diet. I'll probably be where you are in a couple weeks and begging you for advice... I am a huge salt/starch junkie and have always fluctuated throughout the day. Im just hoping to get that under control once I start getting fills.

Karen

I was banded in July, had two fills and I still don't have restriction. I've kind of plateau-ed and know exactly how you are feeling. I do fine during the day but by night I try to clean the fridge out. It is frustrating.

I just started the semi-soft diet. I am tolerating the food well, but I have felt hungrier the past two days. I haven't been too tempted to go off the prescribed meal plan, but I am eating more often. My surgery was two weeks ago, I feel really good and have lost 7 lbs since surgery.

As people who have issues with food, and most of us do, I think we need to be patient with the process, with ourselves and with this major change in our lives. I remind myself every day that I did not put myself through this to fail. I also am grateful for this chance to not have to die like my mother did; from complications of diabetes.

my advice would be to drag out eating your meals as long as possible... if you eat very very slowly it really does trick your brain after 20 to 30 mins and it will tell you to stop. also, when you feel your pouch getting full try and stop there dont take that one more bite... wait about 5 or 10 mins and see if you really do want that one more bite... that will help avoid alot of PBing. i know it is really hard to get the hang of this band and it took me about 8 months before i really got it right even though i had good restriction at 4months post op. i try to eat 3 meals a day and have about 300 to 400 calories at each meal. i always count my calories (because my family doctor makes me!) and he wants me to stay under 1200 a day. hope this helps some...

kym

A lot of people gain weight when they go back on solids. It's very normal. I gained 5 pounds before my first fill, but lost 9 pounds in the three weeks since. Hang in there!

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I am still yo-yoing, but today I got back down to where I have lost 24 lbs. I only have two weeks left before I get my first fill, so I will take the advise, and try to stay on track until I get the fill. I am very excited so far, and very pleased with my band. I guess I was just having one of those days!!! Good luck to everyone as we keep on this wonderful journey that we were very fortunate to be able to go down.

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I am still yo-yoing, but today I got back down to where I have lost 24 lbs. I only have two weeks left before I get my first fill, so I will take the advise, and try to stay on track until I get the fill. I am very excited so far, and very pleased with my band. I guess I was just having one of those days!!! Good luck to everyone as we keep on this wonderful journey that we were very fortunate to be able to go down.

Hi,

I can relate to all of you, I had my first fill a week and a half ago and this past friday i went out with a friend for sushi and actually was able to eat five rolls and have soup.I was so shocked that i kept it all down and that i ate all of that food! What confuses me is that sometimes i'm REALLY hungry and othr times i'm not.My down fall is at night i want to raid the fridge! aHHHHHH!!!!! So i've now took a hobby into reading to keep my mind off of food! I've now lost 14 pounds since my surgery(sept 17th) and i'm also working out five times a week for (30 min) and i was kinda praying i would have lost more weight by now. My co-workers are watching me as well.I was awaiting some comments on my weight loss but no one has said anything.That hurt my feelings a bit but my family and friends truly support me and my hubby tells me every day how good i'm looking so that's what matters. Hang in there,i SO know how you feel.Been there done that.......

Have a good day everyone- And i just want to add that all of you give me such support!!!!! Thanks bunches:-)

Hello.

I had my surgery on Sept 25 also. I have lost 22 so far. First fill is in one week. My friend had it done in June and has lost 70 lbs. so far. Do not get discouraged. This is the beginning of a new life for you. It will work but we are in the beginning of this journey. I gained two lbs. back at one point but lost it again. Now I am trying to maintain until the first fill. Let me know how you are doing.