Liquids... questions

peanut

I've been banded over 2 years and have had my struggles. If anyone was looking for a quick fix, this was not it. My obstacles were not the typical, though... I was banded in March 2005. Had my first fill in Mexico and then planned to have the remainder of fills locally. Well, locally cost me $2,000 for one fill!! Needless to say my "BAND MONEY" was quickly gone by June 2005. I had to wait until February 2006 for my next fill. When I had money to work with... Well, that fill was great! Or so I thought... My August 2006, my band was too tight and I was loosing 9 lbs a week! (Okay, yes... i like seeing the numbers drop, but I wasn't getting enough nurishment in to survive. Not only was I loosing the pounds, I began loosing my hair and was really to "drained" nutritionally to make it through the day.) So... Fluid was removed. Banding doc (now in Chicago), decided that we needed to go back to no restriction so my body to recover. Well, that sounded like a plan. November 2006, I planned to go back for a fill. Well... um, they don't advise doing those when you are pregnant. So, that delayed this weight loss journet, once again. I ended up having a miscarriage so went back in for a fill in January 2007. That fill was not enough to cause restriction. It did for a little bit, but then it wasn't working. With excercise, I'd loose a pound or two a month, but not results I was looking for. The end of February 2007, I had a severe ankle fracture. I was out of commission for the next 3 months. No excercise. I did manage to hobble my way into to get another fill in March, but not enough to do much good. Without excercise, and regardless of how little or what I ate, I was stuck! Well, I'm back to walking and trying to find time to get to the gym. I was still stuck, so... I went and had another fill last week Friday (11/9). I told him I was tired of playing this game and wanted to start winning!! He was very cautious with putting the fluid in and we checked on fluro to make sure we weren't too tight. At one point, I couldn't get anything to move, so we backed some fluid back out and I thought we were good to go...

here is where I need your help, I can't get much down. Fluids are really a struggle even. He has advised me to continue sipping small amounts of cold liquids until they pass with no problem, then move to pureed foods. Okay... I know that some of the liquids are getting down as I don't spit up as much as I take in. Feels like a constant bubble between my mouth and my band all the time... (HATE THAT FEELING).

Can someone remind me what the "fluids" diet looks like??

I am doing carnation instant breakfast right now because without the protein I get "pass out" feeling...

What else can I have?? It's been so long since I did all liquids!

Thanks!

I've been banded over 2 years and have had my struggles. If anyone was looking for a quick fix, this was not it. My obstacles were not the typical, though... I was banded in March 2005. Had my first fill in Mexico and then planned to have the remainder of fills locally. Well, locally cost me $2,000 for one fill!! Needless to say my "BAND MONEY" was quickly gone by June 2005. I had to wait until February 2006 for my next fill. When I had money to work with... Well, that fill was great! Or so I thought... My August 2006, my band was too tight and I was loosing 9 lbs a week! (Okay, yes... i like seeing the numbers drop, but I wasn't getting enough nurishment in to survive. Not only was I loosing the pounds, I began loosing my hair and was really to "drained" nutritionally to make it through the day.) So... Fluid was removed. Banding doc (now in Chicago), decided that we needed to go back to no restriction so my body to recover. Well, that sounded like a plan. November 2006, I planned to go back for a fill. Well... um, they don't advise doing those when you are pregnant. So, that delayed this weight loss journet, once again. I ended up having a miscarriage so went back in for a fill in January 2007. That fill was not enough to cause restriction. It did for a little bit, but then it wasn't working. With excercise, I'd loose a pound or two a month, but not results I was looking for. The end of February 2007, I had a severe ankle fracture. I was out of commission for the next 3 months. No excercise. I did manage to hobble my way into to get another fill in March, but not enough to do much good. Without excercise, and regardless of how little or what I ate, I was stuck! Well, I'm back to walking and trying to find time to get to the gym. I was still stuck, so... I went and had another fill last week Friday (11/9). I told him I was tired of playing this game and wanted to start winning!! He was very cautious with putting the fluid in and we checked on fluro to make sure we weren't too tight. At one point, I couldn't get anything to move, so we backed some fluid back out and I thought we were good to go...

here is where I need your help, I can't get much down. Fluids are really a struggle even. He has advised me to continue sipping small amounts of cold liquids until they pass with no problem, then move to pureed foods. Okay... I know that some of the liquids are getting down as I don't spit up as much as I take in. Feels like a constant bubble between my mouth and my band all the time... (HATE THAT FEELING).

I am doing carnation instant breakfast right now because without the protein I get "pass out" feeling...

Peanut, I am so sorry about all you have been through. I do not have any answers for you as I was just banded about 7 weeks ago. I am sure you aware of chicken broth and protein shakes. The lack of protein is what makes your hair fall out. I read that on an internet site of lap band info. Have you tried baby food thinned down with water/ I know I use to feed my son the pureed protein and mixed it with pureed fruit. You could thin this down and it would give you a protein and a carb together. I wish I could help you more but I wanted to let you know someone is out here thinking of you.

Thanks!

Thanks.... I know it will get better. I just really hope that I will get through the fluids and get on to mush soon... Felt better Sunday getting the carnation breakfast down. Well 1/2 of it.... But, was protein that helped a lot! Off to GNC to see what else I can find.

Thanks!

The first part of liquids after banding was called clear liquids and was clear juices and broths, like chicken broth, beef broth, apple juice, and jello.

Thanks!

As said before, the protein is important. I found a vanilla flavored low sugar protein shake mix, and blended it with frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, peaches, mangos, whatever) and liked that a lot better than the fruit flavored protein shake mixes. Sometimes I even blended it with leftover coffee and splenda for a iced latte type drink. Also, there are a lot of cream soups in the grocery stores now. I found a black bean soup that was great, as well as the usual tomato and potato ones. I know your doctor said the sip cold liquids, but our instructions say that if you are too tight especially first thing in the morning, try warm liquids. Everyone is different, so you will have to see what works for you. The key for me was to drink slowly, and also drink one or two small bottles of gatorade a day to keep my fluids and electrolytes up. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hello from South Carolina.

I was banded in July of 2006 and I am having a tough time too! I'm not loosing and I have horrible eating habits. You can't find a smoothie place around here to save your life. I need a fill, but boy are fill centers USA expensive. It's cheaper for me to fly to Seattle for $250 and get a fill there. UGH!

No one said this would be easy.

I look forward to reading about your success.

Good luck.

Michele ><'

Hello from South Carolina.

I was banded in July of 2006 and I am having a tough time too! I'm not loosing and I have horrible eating habits. You can't find a smoothie place around here to save your life. I need a fill, but boy are fill centers USA expensive. It's cheaper for me to fly to Seattle for $250 and get a fill there. UGH!

No one said this would be easy.

I look forward to reading about your success.

Good luck.

Michele ><'

Well, found a fill doctor locally. they charge $200 for adjustments. They are squeezing me in at 430p today. Probably cheaper than an ER trip.... I've never hated the band like I do right this moment. I just want my sweet spot and the weight to start coming off. I can see if I was a couch potato --- did nothing and ate everything, then I deserve to be this way. In all honesty, I HATE FOOD! If I could figure out how to get by without it, I'd be so much happier.

A friend and colleage of mine had gastric bypass surgery. We were talking a few weeks about about the "relationship with food." She totally had a relationship with food and his morning that loss. She turned to food for everything. It was always there. Reliable and trust worthy. Never let her down.

You know, i don't feel that same way. She asked me if there was any food that I turned to. Not really... when I'm emotional, I don't eat. People say they turn to food when they are bored - not me. When they are tired -- not me (sleep works better). Probably the only food relationship I had in the past was when I would drive, I'd need something to munch on to stay awake. i don't do that any more. I'm not a big meat eater (really hard when you need protein) and don't like other protein sources except for cheese & peanut butter. I love fruit! Sometimes I get a craving for something sweet, but not as often as one would think.

with all this rambling, I guess what i'm saying is that I probably have poor eating habits, too. Because I just don't like food!

Good luck with your journey and I hope you find your "sweet spot" soon. I guess, we all have to be patient. Just would love for the world to see the person I am inside - certainly feels like there is a healthy sized person in there. ><'

You know....I think I hate my band too. I really thought that I would loose more weight. I've tried alot of things like "excersize" and "eating healthy". It just doesn't seem to work. I had a low BMI to begin with, so maybe that is the problem. Maybe it's genetics, or maybe it's some evil payback for spending all the money I did on the surgery. Doctors in the south think I'm some kind of a freak because I have a lap band. I don't know if they just don't see many here or what. I can open a magazine any given day and find 10 plastic surgeons in Charlotte, and the doctors here all think I should go back to Mexico (ooooh...evil place according to them) and have it removed.

Not giving up though.

Good luck today.

I want a fill. I think I was unfilled in April and now...I think I'm empty.

Go figure?

Chow 4 now.

M

You know....I think I hate my band too. I really thought that I would loose more weight. I've tried alot of things like "excersize" and "eating healthy". It just doesn't seem to work. I had a low BMI to begin with, so maybe that is the problem. Maybe it's genetics, or maybe it's some evil payback for spending all the money I did on the surgery. Doctors in the south think I'm some kind of a freak because I have a lap band. I don't know if they just don't see many here or what. I can open a magazine any given day and find 10 plastic surgeons in Charlotte, and the doctors here all think I should go back to Mexico (ooooh...evil place according to them) and have it removed.

Not giving up though.

Good luck today.

I want a fill. I think I was unfilled in April and now...I think I'm empty.

Go figure?

Chow 4 now.

M

Gosh Michelle I feel for you. You give yourself lots of credit!!!!!!!! You have been through some nasty times to, and you are still hanging in there. I am with ya.

I have had so many fills and unfills to reach that sweet spot. What a friggin game it has been. I tighten to after a month or two, then play the whole unfill game, gain weight, go back for more fill, and on and on. My girlfriend thinks its a nightmare for me. I guess if you were looking at through someone else's eyes you may think that too. But for me, I would do it all over again, not that I would want to. But, the real deal on lossing weight is truley all about the follow up care and that can get very pricy. I think I have spent approx. 4,000 alone for fills, fuel, air, rides from airport, etc. So everyone just be prepared. Not saying this will be you, but it very well could be. Teri

Thanks!

Peanut,

I sincerly feel your frustration. You stick up for yourself. It seems when things are not going right, your an easy target for Dr.s to blame. You are way to tight right now. I am there to, but have to wait until tomorrow around 9. It is so misirable for sure. Cannot keep water down, cannot eat. I try to drink and lots because my mouth is so bone dry, everything comes back up. Not sure why I tighten after a month or two, but it is the pattern for me. I hate it to. Luckily for me, this time, Wendy the person who does fills in my area will be here Monday, and she is only about 20 minutes away. You hang in there. I feel for you. Teri