Cell Phone Charges in Mexico

I just got my AT&T Cell Phone bill from last month when I went to get my surgery done. The phone said I had a signal and I assumed I was getting it from San Diego. Guess I was wrong. I was charged 79cents per minute to call from my cell phone. Text messages in Mexico to the states cost me 50cents each.

When you are in the hospital, there are phones in every room and you can make unlimited calls to the US for free from your hospital room. You are only in there for less than 24 hours, but take advantage of it while you have it.

With that being said, I would never have changed the entire experience. It was great. I have already lost 30 pounds since I began my diet & had the surgery and I am looking and feeling great.

I just wanted to let those of you who are heading that way to know about the cell charges so you are not surprised.

Maybe some of the other carriers do not charge you????

I just got my AT&T Cell Phone bill from last month when I went to get my surgery done. The phone said I had a signal and I assumed I was getting it from San Diego. Guess I was wrong. I was charged 79cents per minute to call from my cell phone. Text messages in Mexico to the states cost me 50cents each.

When you are in the hospital, there are phones in every room and you can make unlimited calls to the US for free from your hospital room. You are only in there for less than 24 hours, but take advantage of it while you have it.

With that being said, I would never have changed the entire experience. It was great. I have already lost 30 pounds since I began my diet & had the surgery and I am looking and feeling great.

I just wanted to let those of you who are heading that way to know about the cell charges so you are not surprised.

Maybe some of the other carriers do not charge you????

When you go to dial out on your cell phone, you got to check to see which cell carrier tower is connecting to your cell phone. I've noticed that when your in TJ, certain areas or on higher floors of the hotel or clinic, you can pick up the AT&T cell tower on the American side of the border. But at street level you might be connecting to the Mexican cell service, I think its MexTel or some other name, That's when they nail you with those high rates. Another thing I've noticed, I swear the Mexican cell phone company has automatic dialers that can detect American cell phones. Several times my cell phone went off and the caller ID wouldn't display a name.. If I would have answered the phone I would have contributed to the Mexican cell phone company. Them tricky Rascals!!!! Even Fransico, who works the internet room at the hotel Lucerna, said he's heard about this trick. The locals call it "The Joker". So the moral of this story is,,, before you dial or answer your cell phone,, check to see which cell phone tower your signal bouncing off. The OCC offers the free use of their phones and internet and the hotel Lucerna has free internet down in the lobby. PS, good job on the weight loss.