Pay attention and be careful traveling in TJ

I'm trying to scare anyone, just want to remind people to be careful traveling in TJ and the rest of Baja as well. There is some bad gang activity going on. I believe we are all safe if we take a taxi from the border to the clinic and back again. I personally would not go shopping by myself or even with my husband. We are old...

I also don't ware my rings, diamonds in my ears, or what might be considered expensive cloths...

Truth is I think all border towns between the US and Mexico tend to not be as safe as other cities in Mexico. Don't get wrong I love Mexico, headed for a small town on the coast called Bucerious for a ten day vaction in 2 weeks. Oh to be warm again! I'm very happy with my 50 pound weight loss, but my gosh I am so cold!!!!!!!!!!

I've traveled the world (military brat) and I think almost all of the US citizens could be a heck of a lot more polite and aware of what other countries traditions and "way of life" of others.

With that said I head out at 6am on the milk run down the coast for my second fill on Tuesday. Get my fill then turn around and fly back arriving home at 10pm. Makes for a long day but it saves me the money for a hotel. As well as time away from work.

So in conclusion PAY ATTENTION AND BE SAFE!!!!!

marcy

Marcy,

Good tips....I just returned from getting my fill and shopping and I would recommend to only do the shopping stuff during daylight hours and stay on the crowded main drag....don't be tempted into the alleys. I went alone and dressed "down". Left all jewelry at home and my designer bags and luggage. Next time I think that I will just bring a backpack instead of pulling my little carry on bag as there was no room on the plane in the bins and I had to ride with it on my feet because of overcrowding on the plane. Besides dragging it around Tijuana. I wasn't crazy about waiting in the line at the border to leave Mexico as I was in line about an hour to get through, but it wasn't too horrible and there were a lot of people and police around all over there and also on Revolution during the daytime. If you use common sense you should be fine. I too am a military wife and have traveled foreign countries and love the adventure, but I was a little nervous to go out after dark there.

Donna

I'm trying to scare anyone, just want to remind people to be careful traveling in TJ and the rest of Baja as well. There is some bad gang activity going on. I believe we are all safe if we take a taxi from the border to the clinic and back again. I personally would not go shopping by myself or even with my husband. We are old...

I also don't ware my rings, diamonds in my ears, or what might be considered expensive cloths...

Truth is I think all border towns between the US and Mexico tend to not be as safe as other cities in Mexico. Don't get wrong I love Mexico, headed for a small town on the coast called Bucerious for a ten day vaction in 2 weeks. Oh to be warm again! I'm very happy with my 50 pound weight loss, but my gosh I am so cold!!!!!!!!!!

I've traveled the world (military brat) and I think almost all of the US citizens could be a heck of a lot more polite and aware of what other countries traditions and "way of life" of others.

With that said I head out at 6am on the milk run down the coast for my second fill on Tuesday. Get my fill then turn around and fly back arriving home at 10pm. Makes for a long day but it saves me the money for a hotel. As well as time away from work.

So in conclusion PAY ATTENTION AND BE SAFE!!!!!

marcy

Marcy,

Good tips....I just returned from getting my fill and shopping and I would recommend to only do the shopping stuff during daylight hours and stay on the crowded main drag....don't be tempted into the alleys. I went alone and dressed "down". Left all jewelry at home and my designer bags and luggage. Next time I think that I will just bring a backpack instead of pulling my little carry on bag as there was no room on the plane in the bins and I had to ride with it on my feet because of overcrowding on the plane. Besides dragging it around Tijuana. I wasn't crazy about waiting in the line at the border to leave Mexico as I was in line about an hour to get through, but it wasn't too horrible and there were a lot of people and police around all over there and also on Revolution during the daytime. If you use common sense you should be fine. I too am a military wife and have traveled foreign countries and love the adventure, but I was a little nervous to go out after dark there.

Donna

Yes definatly be careful.. when I lived in San Diego I ran into the District Attourney of TJ and he even warned me do not go down alleys and always travel in 3's if possible in the dark.. best not to walk around at night except at the hotel I think..not to mention there are also some drug wars going on down there a bit away from the clinic but most stuff like that goes on at night so best to stay in incase it comes up that way.. I am excited about my trip and cant wait!!

Stacy

Yes definatly be careful.. when I lived in San Diego I ran into the District Attourney of TJ and he even warned me do not go down alleys and always travel in 3's if possible in the dark.. best not to walk around at night except at the hotel I think..not to mention there are also some drug wars going on down there a bit away from the clinic but most stuff like that goes on at night so best to stay in incase it comes up that way.. I am excited about my trip and cant wait!!

Stacy

This is true of any major city I know of.

Yes Yes Yes. Be very careful when traveling to TJ. While I was having my surgery my 21 yr old son went to revolution street for a few gifts. To make a long story short he was robbed of his cell phone, bank card, cheap jewelry and belt. The persons who did this were part of a drug gang. While some of the men were out cleaning out his bank account (which only had 60 dollars) the other member let my son go. I was so frightened when he didn't return at the time he said he would. This all happened at 12 in the afternoon. I partly blame myself because I raised my children in a small town of 300 people. Where we all take our safety for granted. I'm very thankful he was let go and was relatively not hurt( he lost a tooth from being punched in the mouth). Since this happened I have once again went to Tj. and did some shopping, But remember to never go alone.

I had a great time in TJ. My fiance went out, shoppin and ate(he did anyway!) and even went to a club and watched the boxing match. NO ONE BOTHERED US! Ever. I did notice a strong police presence, but not in a harassing way, more like patroling. Every perone we met was polite and very helpful. I wore all my jewlery and noticed other bandsters went out shopped and bought more. Don't lear fear run your lives. Be cautious as you would going any place new, but not to the point of fear...