fluid in band before first fill

Hi All, I had the lap band surgery on Jan 4, 2008. Everything went great until the fourth week. I haven't had a fill yet and was due for one in a week or two. On 1/30 after lunch, I started getting a constricted feeling in my mid section where the band is. By 5 pm on 1/31 is was so bad I was doubled over and I went to the ER. They first did a CT scan to ensure the band itself hadn't moved, and it hadn't. Finally my surgeon surmised that my band had filled with fluid and he removed that fluid from the port with a syringe, the fluid was completely clear. At that point, I felt and still do feel better, with no pain or constriction feeling. I can't seem to find out, to my satisfaction, why, or how, fluid would have accumulated in my band prior to a fill! Has anyone had any similar experience that they can share with me?

Hi All, I had the lap band surgery on Jan 4, 2008. Everything went great until the fourth week. I haven't had a fill yet and was due for one in a week or two. On 1/30 after lunch, I started getting a constricted feeling in my mid section where the band is. By 5 pm on 1/31 is was so bad I was doubled over and I went to the ER. They first did a CT scan to ensure the band itself hadn't moved, and it hadn't. Finally my surgeon surmised that my band had filled with fluid and he removed that fluid from the port with a syringe, the fluid was completely clear. At that point, I felt and still do feel better, with no pain or constriction feeling. I can't seem to find out, to my satisfaction, why, or how, fluid would have accumulated in my band prior to a fill! Has anyone had any similar experience that they can share with me?

Were you banded by Dr. Ortiz? I was and at my first fill, the doctor who did it (locally) pulled out first to see if there was any fluid in my band. There was, about 3cc I think. He said that doctors sometimes will put a little fill in to help hold it in place.

Were you banded by Dr. Ortiz? I was and at my first fill, the doctor who did it (locally) pulled out first to see if there was any fluid in my band. There was, about 3cc I think. He said that doctors sometimes will put a little fill in to help hold it in place.

Thank you! I do think there was some fluid put in the band originally, I had mine done in PA.