Any clear liquid suggestions for the first week?

housecatgirl

The instructions say clear liquids for first week. Does that mean anything clear? :unsure:

I am confused between the difference between the 2nd and 3rd week...

Are you not supposed to add protein until the 3rd week? :blink:

Thanks, Laura

Hello Laura,

I just had my lapband on Tuesday of this week and I am on the "clear liquid phase. " Clear liquids are to keep you hydrated and allow the band to adjust into its proper place without having to worry about slippage.

I drink white grape juice, apple juice, crystal light, cranberry or cranapple juice, all diluted with half water. Nothing with pulp. No carbonated drinks ever again. I also have regular jello (not sugar free), and popsicles! I am allowed clear broths like chicken or beef.

Today I boiled a hunk of roast tenderloin with a couple of potatoes and one onion...when they were done, I removed the beef (made my son a sandwich with that....lol) and I took a hand-held blender that I refer to as my "motorboat" and blended the beef broth, potato and onion into a clear but tasty soup! :)

My next phase is "full liquid" which means I can begin to add small amounts of protein to my diet, such as adding milk to my chicken broth, and I can have instant oatmeal with a small amount of butter. I can have yogurt as long as it had no fruit chunks in it. Laura, this is a very doable diet. I am never hungry or thirsty!

I am doing great and seeing the results already is a terrific motivation to keep on going!

Dr. Ortiz and his staff are always there to accomodate any questions or help you resolve your insercurities. Good luck and keep us bandsters posted on your progress......sending you a big hug!

Dreamer

Thanks Dreamer!! :D How are you feeling? Did you stay at the Lucerna? How was that? Do you live locally? I can't wait, I am counting the days until June 28th!!! :rolleyes: But, I am happy I have time to coorespond with people that have recently been banded. I feel the more I know the more I will be prepared when it's my turn and then I can help the newbies get through it.... :)

Hello Laura,

I just had my lapband on Tuesday of this week and I am on the "clear liquid phase. " Clear liquids are to keep you hydrated and allow the band to adjust into its proper place without having to worry about slippage.

I drink white grape juice, apple juice, crystal light, cranberry or cranapple juice, all diluted with half water. Nothing with pulp. No carbonated drinks ever again. I also have regular jello (not sugar free), and popsicles! I am allowed clear broths like chicken or beef.

Today I boiled a hunk of roast tenderloin with a couple of potatoes and one onion...when they were done, I removed the beef (made my son a sandwich with that....lol) and I took a hand-held blender that I refer to as my "motorboat" and blended the beef broth, potato and onion into a clear but tasty soup! :)

My next phase is "full liquid" which means I can begin to add small amounts of protein to my diet, such as adding milk to my chicken broth, and I can have instant oatmeal with a small amount of butter. I can have yogurt as long as it had no fruit chunks in it. Laura, this is a very doable diet. I am never hungry or thirsty!

I am doing great and seeing the results already is a terrific motivation to keep on going!

Dr. Ortiz and his staff are always there to accomodate any questions or help you resolve your insercurities. Good luck and keep us bandsters posted on your progress......sending you a big hug!

Dreamer

Thanks Dreamer!! :D How are you feeling? Did you stay at the Lucerna? How was that? Do you live locally? I can't wait, I am counting the days until June 28th!!! :rolleyes: But, I am happy I have time to coorespond with people that have recently been banded. I feel the more I know the more I will be prepared when it's my turn and then I can help the newbies get through it.... :)

Hi Laura,

I am feeling great and thank you for asking. I have so much energy that I tend to over-do it. I am still on the clear liquids and you know what? There is not a lot of variety in clear liquids, but I can honestly say that I am not hungry when I follow Dr. Ortiz's orders. Sometimes I forget to sip my water and things like that, and I kind of feel hungry ( I think I look at the clock and say "It's time to eat so I'm supposed to feel hungry"...lol) But I am surprised at how easy the surgical experience was, and like I said before, at how much energy I have.

Yes, I stayed at Hotel Lucerna. It is nice enough for anyone and very clean. The people there are so accomdating and always there to help. I was awed at the weather and advise you even with the weather reports saying nice weather.....take loose, comfortable clothes, and a jacket. It may just be the breeze off the Pacific Ocean, but it was about 40 degrees cooler than what I expected. You can get your walking in on the grounds because they are lovely...and they also have a gym on the second floor just across the hall from the elevators.

Not sure what you mean about living locally. I live in Oklahoma. I traveled two and a half hours to Dallas and flew to San Diego. Would do it all again in a heart-beat! My two daughter's and I had surgery the same day. They are both nurses, so you can imagine all the research we did before making our final decision. You'll do great.....Good luck hun! Talk to you soon....Dreamer

Hi Dreamer: I was asking if you live locally because I live only about an hour and a half from the border. :) This year the whether in So Cal has been weird and unpredictable but I'm having my surgery in late June so I imagine by then I will only need a sweatshirt for at night at the most. Keep us all posted. :rolleyes: Laura

Hi Laura,

I am feeling great and thank you for asking. I have so much energy that I tend to over-do it. I am still on the clear liquids and you know what? There is not a lot of variety in clear liquids, but I can honestly say that I am not hungry when I follow Dr. Ortiz's orders. Sometimes I forget to sip my water and things like that, and I kind of feel hungry ( I think I look at the clock and say "It's time to eat so I'm supposed to feel hungry"...lol) But I am surprised at how easy the surgical experience was, and like I said before, at how much energy I have.

Yes, I stayed at Hotel Lucerna. It is nice enough for anyone and very clean. The people there are so accomdating and always there to help. I was awed at the weather and advise you even with the weather reports saying nice weather.....take loose, comfortable clothes, and a jacket. It may just be the breeze off the Pacific Ocean, but it was about 40 degrees cooler than what I expected. You can get your walking in on the grounds because they are lovely...and they also have a gym on the second floor just across the hall from the elevators.

Not sure what you mean about living locally. I live in Oklahoma. I traveled two and a half hours to Dallas and flew to San Diego. Would do it all again in a heart-beat! My two daughter's and I had surgery the same day. They are both nurses, so you can imagine all the research we did before making our final decision. You'll do great.....Good luck hun! Talk to you soon....Dreamer

Hi Laura,

Are you in Lake Elsinore??? I am in Murrieta and getting banded on May 2. Did you already have it done??? Tell me how great it is.

Jennifer

The instructions say clear liquids for first week. Does that mean anything clear? :unsure:

I am confused between the difference between the 2nd and 3rd week...

Are you not supposed to add protein until the 3rd week? :blink:

Thanks, Laura

Hi Jennifer: WOW, you are soooo close to me!! I am very close to Murrieta. I am actually in Canyon Hills across from Canyon Lake off Railroad Canyon. You are almost two months ahead of me though since I am being banded June 28th. Please keep me posted on everything and I would love to come visit you when you are back home and ready for a visitor. <3,Laura :rolleyes:

Hi Laura,

Are you in Lake Elsinore??? I am in Murrieta and getting banded on May 2. Did you already have it done??? Tell me how great it is.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

clear means only

apple just

cranberry juice

clear broth

consomme

diet jello

diet popsicles

you can have protein drink made with WATER not milk

week 2 you can start full fluids...meaning with milk and cream soups etc...

How many days before the surgery did you get a call from the nutritionist and how long did it take i am trying to plan it for work i am so excited and can't wait to get started.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you will help. I posted for my first time but no one has responded. I'm wanting Dr. Ortiz to do mine but I have one question. Say you get home and something goes wrong, what do you do then. I've heard that no Doctor here would touch you. That really scares me. Please help.

Congrats and hope your feeling great.

Sherri

Hello Laura,

Dreamer

Sherri

I heard that no one would touch you or do your fills if you had your band done in Mexico also. I'm not sure where you live but are there any barriatric centers near you? I called some of the docs in my area and told them I was going to Mexico and asked if they could do my follow up and fills. Several said they had no problem with it. Even if you are going to go back to Mexico for fills, you should find a doctor locally just to be safe and have a contact if anything comes up. Good luck!

Julie

Hi Laura,

• 2 weeks later...

Laura, I just had my lapband placed last week on monday and they give you a better list of what to do each week so do not worry. I just finished my total clear liquid week and I was on my menses so I gained weight instead of lost so I will be doing another week of clear liquids it says that you can if you want to lose more weight... next week I will add more directed.. the procuredure went great but we had a day when everyone also did not get to have surgery cause someone said we could have sips of water NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not the day of surgery. good luck. Armynurseb.

Laura, I just had my lapband placed last week on monday and they give you a better list of what to do each week so do not worry. I just finished my total clear liquid week and I was on my menses so I gained weight instead of lost so I will be doing another week of clear liquids it says that you can if you want to lose more weight... next week I will add more directed.. the procuredure went great but we had a day when everyone also did not get to have surgery cause someone said we could have sips of water NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not the day of surgery. good luck. Armynurseb.

Armynurseb. I remember that day I was the patient that was there who had previously had the surgery. I remember waking up to see Dr. Ortiz very upset because all the patients had been drinking water. Did you guys get the surgery done after all that day or when did you get it done?

• 2 weeks later...

clear means only

apple just

cranberry juice

clear broth

consomme

diet jello

diet popsicles

you can have protein drink made with WATER not milk

week 2 you can start full fluids...meaning with milk and cream soups etc...

This may be a dumb question...but why do we have to eat DIET popsicles and

DIET jello? I would think we would need "some" calories...I am getting banded in July and am worried about getting the "shakes" from not getting enough sugar, I was on Atkins for years, and am used to diet stuff, but also with protein to counterbalance. (I am pre-diabetic)

Karen 35.1BMI

This may be a dumb question...but why do we have to eat DIET popsicles and

DIET jello? I would think we would need "some" calories...I am getting banded in July and am worried about getting the "shakes" from not getting enough sugar, I was on Atkins for years, and am used to diet stuff, but also with protein to counterbalance. (I am pre-diabetic)

Karen 35.1BMI

I wasn't told diet popsicles and diet jello, I was just told to water down juice or gatorade so you don't get so much sugar in a liquid form because that is easy to 'down'. If you want to make sure you can call the OCC and speak with Dr. Miranda. She is very helpful :)