PATIENT TESTIMONIALS NEEDED

HELLO EVERYONE!

I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE LAPBAND SYSTEM AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS CAN EDUCATE ME A LITTLE ABOUT IT. I HAVE BEEN OVERWEIGHT SINCE ABOUT AGE 12... I REMEMBER AS A CHILD MY MOM USED TO GIVE ME ALL KINDS OF APPETITE STIMULATORS BECAUSE I WAS SOO THIN AND NOW I AM VERY OBESE I AM 25YEARS OLD 5'3 275 POUNDS..

MY QUESTIONS ARE THE FOLLOWING:

1. HOW BIG IS THE SCAR?

2. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO HAVE CHILDREN

3. IS THE PORT INSIDE OF YOUR BODY OR OUTSIDE LIKE A G-TUBE?

4. HOW ARE FILLS PERFORMED?

IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCE I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

While I have yet to get my band, I can answer most your questions just from the reading I've done.

With encouragement I would suggest that you do some of your own research on the Lap Band. All of your questions can be answered on the Obesity Control Center website. I believe people need to do their own research, and then come back and ask certain questions. This is about YOU, and you should be the one researching what's best for your body.

I say this with encouragement, not a sharp tone.

I did all the research I felt I needed before I came on these boards. I think it's such an important decision and if you aren't willing to take the time to do the research then maybe you are not ready for the Band.

I'm being banded on the 15th Feb, and am completely ready. Have read all I needed, and phoned in with any addtional questions I had. I encourge you to do the same.

Best of luck to you.

Much peace,

Maggie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was banded Dec 4 2007. Dr. Ortiz was great and the office and staff was top notch, I have and will continue to recommend this procedure and Dr. to anyone and everyone..... The scar is small (if i knew how i would post a pic of mine for you), not sure about the children part i already have 4, so it wasn't an issue for me, the port is inside of your skin...i was very concerned when i went for my 1st fill but it was easy and painless..... hope this helps!!!!!

HELLO EVERYONE!

I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE LAPBAND SYSTEM AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS CAN EDUCATE ME A LITTLE ABOUT IT. I HAVE BEEN OVERWEIGHT SINCE ABOUT AGE 12... I REMEMBER AS A CHILD MY MOM USED TO GIVE ME ALL KINDS OF APPETITE STIMULATORS BECAUSE I WAS SOO THIN AND NOW I AM VERY OBESE I AM 25YEARS OLD 5'3 275 POUNDS..

1. HOW BIG IS THE SCAR?

2. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO HAVE CHILDREN

3. IS THE PORT INSIDE OF YOUR BODY OR OUTSIDE LIKE A G-TUBE?

4. HOW ARE FILLS PERFORMED?

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

• 2 weeks later...

1. HOW BIG IS THE SCAR?You will have a few the biggest one is about 1 inch long....the others the tip of your fingernail.

2. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO HAVE CHILDREN? I am not sure....I already had mine. I know a few who have gotten pg within a year of being banded...on accident though :)

3. IS THE PORT INSIDE OF YOUR BODY OR OUTSIDE LIKE A G-TUBE? inside your body. I know people who can feel theres but I can rarley feel mine. I have to really feel for it.

4. HOW ARE FILLS PERFORMED? I have mine done under floro (x-ray machine). They numb you with a shot. Then they take a needle filled with saline and put it inside the port (near your largest scar) and then they will tilt you up on the bed. You will drink some barium and they watch it on the machine as it goes down. This lets them get a good look at how fast it flows and if you need more saline to make you tighter or take some out. My dr leaves the needle in the entire time so he doesnt have to restick you. I also drink some water to see how that moves through. Once they feel you are adjusted well you are done.

I am a big baby and hate needles.....this does not bother me at all. The first shot stings for a second and that is it.

Fills done without floro (very popular in the states) but I dont recommend it. .....

They feel around for your port and just place saline in . They have no idea how tight they are getting. If you do it under floro your guarantee of being to tight is much better.

I was banded 11 months ago by Dr. Ortiz. My experience was great. I have lost 90 pounds so far. I would do this over in a heartbeat. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Shannon