Pre Op Diet

I am on the pre-op diet now. I have decided to do the 2 protein shakes and a lean cusine. I was just wondering if anyone has not lost enough weight on the pre-op diet and has gotten turned away from Dr.Ortiz. The pre op diet is HARD! I think I am going to switch to 3 protein shakes next week (one week before surgery) just to make sure I lose enough...im so scared that I wont lose enough. How much did you all lose starting the pre-op diet about 2 weeks prior? Ive had two "major" slip ups so far...but other than that ive been good (that is why i started about 3 days early, just in case)

I am just so nervous bc I want this so badly, ive bought my ticket, paid in full for the surgery, im just scared that something will stand in the way!

I am on the pre-op diet now. I have decided to do the 2 protein shakes and a lean cusine. I was just wondering if anyone has not lost enough weight on the pre-op diet and has gotten turned away from Dr.Ortiz. The pre op diet is HARD! I think I am going to switch to 3 protein shakes next week (one week before surgery) just to make sure I lose enough...im so scared that I wont lose enough. How much did you all lose starting the pre-op diet about 2 weeks prior? Ive had two "major" slip ups so far...but other than that ive been good (that is why i started about 3 days early, just in case)

I am just so nervous bc I want this so badly, ive bought my ticket, paid in full for the surgery, im just scared that something will stand in the way!

Hi MacKenzie,

I was told by Dr. Miranda to lose as close to 36lbs as possible on my pre-op diet. Not sure how much you are supposed to lose, but I was on the same diet as you with the two shakes and lean cuisine for lunch. Yes, it was really hard, but I had a couple of slip ups too. Needless to say, I lost 23lbs by surgery day and Dr. Miranda was really happy about that. Just don't drink soda if you usually do. I found out that when I totally gave up anything carbonated, the weight came off quicker. I stayed away from sweets, but if I had to have something, I had sugar free cookies. If really helped alot.

I was worried also about being turned away, but if you lost at least half or so of the weight you are supposed to, then no worries. I have a friend that had surgery a week before me and she thought she lost 12 lbs and when she got to OCC, she had only lost 2, according to their scale. Hers must have been broken or something was off, but she had her surgery with no problem. :)

Hope this helps you less stress about what will be a totally great experience. :)

Peace,

Judy

I'm doing the pre-op diet as well. I thought I was going to do the Atkins, but I think I'll be doing the 2 shakes and a lean cuisine. I also recommend drinking only water so that you're not carrying around empty calories (like in Diet Coke). I'm shooting towards May for my surgery so that I have enough time to lose the weight. Good luck! I also heard that adding a brisk walk each day helps a lot.

Hi MacKenzie,

I was told by Dr. Miranda to lose as close to 36lbs as possible on my pre-op diet. Not sure how much you are supposed to lose, but I was on the same diet as you with the two shakes and lean cuisine for lunch. Yes, it was really hard, but I had a couple of slip ups too. Needless to say, I lost 23lbs by surgery day and Dr. Miranda was really happy about that. Just don't drink soda if you usually do. I found out that when I totally gave up anything carbonated, the weight came off quicker. I stayed away from sweets, but if I had to have something, I had sugar free cookies. If really helped alot.

I was worried also about being turned away, but if you lost at least half or so of the weight you are supposed to, then no worries. I have a friend that had surgery a week before me and she thought she lost 12 lbs and when she got to OCC, she had only lost 2, according to their scale. Hers must have been broken or something was off, but she had her surgery with no problem. :)

Hope this helps you less stress about what will be a totally great experience. :)

Peace,

Judy

Thank you so much! I am worried about that as well. I dont trust scales! I feel like they all say something different! I was drinking a lot of diet coke before the pre op diet but I think I will stop on monday. And also on monday, no more slip ups! Ahh im so excited!!!! My surgery date is feb 27th, cant wait! Like you I am 6'00 i want to get down to 175 from 313 im shooting for 100lbs off my next march!

I was so glad to read your post i'm on day 2 of pre diet and I'm starving, light headed, and weak. Is this to prepare you for after??? I moved my date to Fed 22nd so I need to hustle!! This is the hardest week ever!!

Donna

I was so glad to read your post i'm on day 2 of pre diet and I'm starving, light headed, and weak. Is this to prepare you for after??? I moved my date to Fed 22nd so I need to hustle!! This is the hardest week ever!!

Donna

Yes, it is to prepare you for after and trust me, it will be rough at first, but you shouldn't be weak or light headed unless you are not getting enough protein and fluids in you. After surgery you will have to deal with head hunger and that is pretty tough, but it will get better. I was so excited by the 6th day when I could have my protein shakes again. It will get better when you get to softer foods and then to solid. But, you don't get to that point for three weeks, so prepare and plan now, so it will help. I confess being in tears because I was so hungry during the liquids phase, but kept posting here and got alot of support and encouragement. I even was told to take that bite of food for the taste and chew it up and spit it out. Only did that a couple of times and didn't get into the habit, but felt so much better. You can make it! If I can, anyone can, cuz I am super weak and give up too easily. Especially on diets. But I was determined to take care of my band and hope to never PB or throw up. This isn't a diet, it's a tool to help you change your life and lifestyle to become healthier and happier.

Some people take a multivitamin or some kind of supplement like a chewable kids or liquid vitamin, but I have never taken anything like that and don't want to have to either.

Good luck!

Peace,

Judy

Judy Thanks for the advice!! My biggest concern is now getting back to work, I'm getting it done on fri, and going back on tues.... ok you said you were hungry the first week, physical or head hunger or both?

Donna

You are quite welcome Donna. It will actually be both because in that short of time frame between surgery and getting back to work, you will still be on clear liquids, so make sure you drink as much broth as you can and if your work has a freezer, then maybe get some popsicles to munch on too. Of course, drink like crystal light or other juices when you can too. By the end of the week, you can start having the protein shakes and that should give you a boost too in fighting that physical and head hunger. My surgery was on a monday and I went back to work the following tuesday because the monday was memorial day. I felt like I could have gone back to work sooner, but I came back from TJ on wednesday evening and the week was almost over anyway. Everyone is different, so take it day by day. You should be fine, but you never know. Since it isn't an open major surgery, then the pain is minimal, with mostly soreness. Unless you get those awful gas pains people talk about. Make sure you do ALOT of walking and that will surely help.

Take care,

Judy

You are quite welcome Donna. It will actually be both because in that short of time frame between surgery and getting back to work, you will still be on clear liquids, so make sure you drink as much broth as you can and if your work has a freezer, then maybe get some popsicles to munch on too. Of course, drink like crystal light or other juices when you can too. By the end of the week, you can start having the protein shakes and that should give you a boost too in fighting that physical and head hunger. My surgery was on a monday and I went back to work the following tuesday because the monday was memorial day. I felt like I could have gone back to work sooner, but I came back from TJ on wednesday evening and the week was almost over anyway. Everyone is different, so take it day by day. You should be fine, but you never know. Since it isn't an open major surgery, then the pain is minimal, with mostly soreness. Unless you get those awful gas pains people talk about. Make sure you do ALOT of walking and that will surely help.

Take care,

Judy

Judy your a doll, Thanks for your help!!

Donna

Hi Donna

I was banded 6 days ago and struggled on the pre op I did 2 shakes( slim fast Optima) and a lean cuisine a day.I alsoate tons of green veg and mushrooms.Dr Miranda said you can have up to 4lbs of veg! I had lost 14lbs in two weeks with a couple of slip ups.I'm sure you'll be fine.

I can't wait to have a protein shake today as I know they will help me with the head hunger!!!

Good luck

Nicole

Hi Mackenzie!

I'm doing the slimfast shakes breakast and lunch... then dinner I do the lean cuisine. Actually it seems I have cut down enormously on food consumption that I seem to be loosing a pound a day! Nice, but I do take a south diet protein bar (atkins bar) for a snack when I feel the craving to eat when I'm not suppose to. I also did someone's suggestion here about chewing food that you want to eat and then just spit it out. That was hard but at least I felt like someone didn't stop me from doing this, I tasted it then didn't want it anymore. This has helped and I'm finding it's a head hunger thing I'm battling. I've tried to just get out of the house and dream about my diabetes going away and no more worries about my health deteriorating and looking good in clothes that I've wanted to wear that will actually fit and look good. I think about a happier and healthier me. I was reading on this forum about the success patients of Dr. Ortiz on the plastic surgery section... Lipo, tummy tucks etc.... and they were where we are about about a year before their surgery! That inspires me so much! I wanna be there next year talking about my problems about loose skin and lipo suction too. Blessings to you... keep up the good fight... we do it for ourselves (banding tool) and for our loved ones that need us still (my kids). I'll be banded on the 28th...

Hanna

Hi Mackenzie!

I'm doing the slimfast shakes breakast and lunch... then dinner I do the lean cuisine. Actually it seems I have cut down enormously on food consumption that I seem to be loosing a pound a day! Nice, but I do take a south diet protein bar (atkins bar) for a snack when I feel the craving to eat when I'm not suppose to. I also did someone's suggestion here about chewing food that you want to eat and then just spit it out. That was hard but at least I felt like someone didn't stop me from doing this, I tasted it then didn't want it anymore. This has helped and I'm finding it's a head hunger thing I'm battling. I've tried to just get out of the house and dream about my diabetes going away and no more worries about my health deteriorating and looking good in clothes that I've wanted to wear that will actually fit and look good. I think about a happier and healthier me. I was reading on this forum about the success patients of Dr. Ortiz on the plastic surgery section... Lipo, tummy tucks etc.... and they were where we are about about a year before their surgery! That inspires me so much! I wanna be there next year talking about my problems about loose skin and lipo suction too. Blessings to you... keep up the good fight... we do it for ourselves (banding tool) and for our loved ones that need us still (my kids). I'll be banded on the 28th...

Hanna

Hi hanna! I will be banded on the 27th - Im so excited but sometimes the food cravings totally make me forget about what I REALLY want. Starting tomorrow I am going to try and walk around the neighborhood. I am also determined for NO slip ups. I am cutting out Diet Coke ive heard that helps too- I have ONE more left in my fridge!!! AHH! :o) hahaha Anyway I just pray that i lose some weight. I am sure i will see you out there! :o) Good luck!!!!

Mackenzie

Hi Donna

I was banded 6 days ago and struggled on the pre op I did 2 shakes( slim fast Optima) and a lean cuisine a day.I alsoate tons of green veg and mushrooms.Dr Miranda said you can have up to 4lbs of veg! I had lost 14lbs in two weeks with a couple of slip ups.I'm sure you'll be fine.

I can't wait to have a protein shake today as I know they will help me with the head hunger!!!

Good luck

Nicole

thanks nicole, I'll add more veggies, I blew it so bad yesterday. I hate this struggle!! How are you feeling???

Donna

Hi hanna! I will be banded on the 27th - Im so excited but sometimes the food cravings totally make me forget about what I REALLY want. Starting tomorrow I am going to try and walk around the neighborhood. I am also determined for NO slip ups. I am cutting out Diet Coke ive heard that helps too- I have ONE more left in my fridge!!! AHH! :o) hahaha Anyway I just pray that i lose some weight. I am sure i will see you out there! :o) Good luck!!!!

Mackenzie

Good for you!!! You're taking the initiative to change now.

I slipped up yesterday!!! I was so determined the whole day and then all of a sudden I found out some old friends on Classmates.com had been looking for me... they were urging me to post pics of current me (Mind you I was normal as a kid in high school 115 lbs.). Anyways I started to feel anxious... started to eat meatballs (from IKEA)... I stopped myself just in time 'cause when I checked my weight this morning, I still lost a lb. Whew... maybe my scale is broken. Anyways.. this is terrible... how am I going to avoid putting my picture online.. I'm just gonna tel them I'm not ready 'cause I want to loose some weight before I post .... Hehehe... You take it easy... We'll see each other soon and can laugh about this kinda stuff.

Hanna :lol:

Good for you!!! You're taking the initiative to change now.

I slipped up yesterday!!! I was so determined the whole day and then all of a sudden I found out some old friends on Classmates.com had been looking for me... they were urging me to post pics of current me (Mind you I was normal as a kid in high school 115 lbs.). Anyways I started to feel anxious... started to eat meatballs (from IKEA)... I stopped myself just in time 'cause when I checked my weight this morning, I still lost a lb. Whew... maybe my scale is broken. Anyways.. this is terrible... how am I going to avoid putting my picture online.. I'm just gonna tel them I'm not ready 'cause I want to loose some weight before I post .... Hehehe... You take it easy... We'll see each other soon and can laugh about this kinda stuff.

Hanna :lol:

HAHA! hanna! that is funny, only because i know exactly how you feel! haha seeing your every day friends or every weekend friends is ok...but people you ahvent seen in a while!? no thanks! every time my friends come down from school, i just dread them seeing me. I cant wait. I slipped up a few times myself and i dont even own a scale- so im pretty neverous about losing all of this pre op weight! see you soon!

Mackenzie

Mackenzie

glad you are quitting with the diet coke now....NO carbonated drinks for 6 months post op.

Good Luck and enjoy that last one!

glad you are quitting with the diet coke now....NO carbonated drinks for 6 months post op.

Good Luck and enjoy that last one!

that last diet coke was great! :D my new found love is about a gallon of water a day plus a few glasses of unsweet tea or green tea- im suprised im not floating everywhere! I think that since Ive stopped drinking diet coke now I wont restart after the 6 month mark. I am not sure about smoking yet...we will see how i feel! As for beer, Im sure I will enjoy a bud light once in a while but not like i used to as I dont want any empty calories! Anyway- i cant believe that this is really happening. I dont think Ill believe it until I wake up from surgery! CANT WAIT