surgery march 20th anyone else?

HI all,

I am new to the forum, but have done a lot of reading and you all are so helpful. I am scheduled for surgery on march 20th and am wondering who else is scheduled for the same time? My husband and I are comming from central illinois and I too am concerned that two days of recoop in the hotel will NOT be enough. I have had three laprascopic surgeries before and was really sore and cranky after them. I have heard though that this is very diff. Any advice would be welcome. I am 33, mom to three little angels. I have been married for ten almost eleven years and have just found myself really fat......it is amazing how it crept up on me. I was dx with PCOS in 1998, and was subsequently dx with insulin resistance secondary to the PCOS shortly there after. I have a really hard time losing weight and have tried nearly every diet on the planet....I am tired of the fight and just want a life long solution to this decade long problem. I want to be the healthiest me I can be for my kids, hubby and self.

I am scared to death about the surgery, the diet etc..but know this is what I need to do.

I am private pay as my BMI is only 36.9, and no dr in the states will even touch me. Have any of you been able to apply this to your deductible for your insurance? What about the deduction on your income taxes?

Has the diet been hard to stick to? How about the preop diet? Oh so may questions...I am just dreading the next few weeks having to think about the surgery....

Also, how have your friends and family members reacted to your news? I have told only a few people that I know love and support me....I know they are scared about me leaving the us for surgery and most of them say to me...but Krista...you are not THAT fat????? UGH>>>>>I just hate having to justify my choice. I know they care but they aren't living in my body!

HELP ALL>>>>>>>

thanks so much for listening and letting me ramble on and on!

I am so thankful for this board!

thinking of you all and waiting for your reply!

krista

Hi Krista,

My BMI was 31, but my body fat % is 42, so that confirmed this was something I had to do so I could control portions (which has been my biggest problem for years and seemed to be getting worse-I am turning 50 this year-it's time to end this battle) I told no one because I didn't want to deal with the potential negative comments that might dissuede my decision to move forward. Remember, Dr Ortiz is much more qualified & has years more experience than the U.S. physicians. My husband was sworn to secrecy until it was all over. Once I got home, I called the closest family/friends & told them all - they were all shocked at what I did, but supportive & happy that all went so well.

It is amazing how great you feel after surgery - I am not kidding! You wake up in the operating room and you are walking the halls in an hour - yes you are a bit tender/sore but it's not any big deal. The extra night at the hotel is all you need (me and my other bandster friends went downtown shopping the afternoon after surgery!) - when I woke up the morning I was leaving town, I felt pretty darn good and was excited to get home (to my own bed) & begin this journey. You are NOT at all hungry, which shocked me...today is one week since surgery & I am still surprised that I am not hungry but I am following the post op diet to the "t" to be sure I heal good.

Stay positive, so you dont use valuable energy on worrying - you will be in awesome hands with Dr Ortiz & his team. If for any reason you were to have a problem, I am sure they would not let you return home - you would call the dr he gives you his cellular number) & if need be, you would go back to clinic and they'd look you over thoroughly.

Good Luck to you!!

I am sch for Feb 27th and at first I was nervous..but then I realized what I should have been nervous about is my health! being overweight is SO much more dangerous then going through surgery. Dr. Ortiz has NO pending lawsuits against him and have never lost a patient(as i knock on wood). Lori suggests that you stay one extra day at the hotel and rest and then go home. My flight is back to florida so it will be a long day but Im confident that I will be fine.

As for telling people, the people I have told are close friends, and I have told them all that it is in San Deigo. The reason i did that is bc i told one friend and she FREAKED OUT. I am 100% confident in Dr. Ortiz and his team. The only thing Im nervous about is the blood work the day before! :o) Good luck- DONT WORRY! if anything be EXCITED because your journey is about to begin. What i do suggest is start the pre op diet like now. That way if you have some slip ups you arent freaking out, like myself! I also quit drinking diet coke and smoking and drinking and it was just a lot all at once. so if you do any of those you have plenty of time to start! haha I would even suggest doing a slim fast for breakfast and lunch and a regular dinner for a week or two since you are about a month pre-op if i remember correctly! anyway good luck. I find that browsing thru the forum helps to answer a lot of questions and give me a lot of knowledge!

HI all,

I am new to the forum, but have done a lot of reading and you all are so helpful. I am scheduled for surgery on march 20th and am wondering who else is scheduled for the same time? My husband and I are comming from central illinois and I too am concerned that two days of recoop in the hotel will NOT be enough. I have had three laprascopic surgeries before and was really sore and cranky after them. I have heard though that this is very diff. Any advice would be welcome. I am 33, mom to three little angels. I have been married for ten almost eleven years and have just found myself really fat......it is amazing how it crept up on me. I was dx with PCOS in 1998, and was subsequently dx with insulin resistance secondary to the PCOS shortly there after. I have a really hard time losing weight and have tried nearly every diet on the planet....I am tired of the fight and just want a life long solution to this decade long problem. I want to be the healthiest me I can be for my kids, hubby and self.

I am scared to death about the surgery, the diet etc..but know this is what I need to do.

I am private pay as my BMI is only 36.9, and no dr in the states will even touch me. Have any of you been able to apply this to your deductible for your insurance? What about the deduction on your income taxes?

Has the diet been hard to stick to? How about the preop diet? Oh so may questions...I am just dreading the next few weeks having to think about the surgery....

Also, how have your friends and family members reacted to your news? I have told only a few people that I know love and support me....I know they are scared about me leaving the us for surgery and most of them say to me...but Krista...you are not THAT fat????? UGH>>>>>I just hate having to justify my choice. I know they care but they aren't living in my body!

HELP ALL>>>>>>>

thanks so much for listening and letting me ramble on and on!

I am so thankful for this board!

thinking of you all and waiting for your reply!

krista

hey Krista,

I have mine scheduled for Feb 22, 3 more days for pre-op diet, that's been hard, and I blew it yesterday.... I havn't told may people, just a handful!! I'll tell my dad after..... I'm 33 with bmi of 35. I'm going to try to write it as a tax deduct i don't know for sure if you can. Best of luck to you!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.. :)

Donna

His I am Queenie I am from Matherville Illinois. That is close to the Quad Cities. My surgery is on March 27. Where in Illinois are you from. Good Luck on your surgery.

Queenie =D>

queenie,

I live in central illinois near peoria, or bloomington normal. I have changed my surgery date to march 11th...I am so excited, scared and nervous. Would love to be buddies through this...keep me posted on how you are doing.

krista

• 2 weeks later...

I will be coming on the 19th, also! I will be excited to meet everyone.

Paula

Hi Krista,

My surgery date is March 19th, so I'll probably see you around! I'm coming from Bermuda.

Speak to you later!

Terri