Portion control

When I first had the surgery they said for me to not eat more than 1/2 c----I am now more hungry...and have just gone to mushies...but was wondering if I am still supposed to be adhering to the 1/2 c instructions??? Anyone?

The 1/2 cup requirement is a bit ambiguous. 1/2 of salad does not equal 1/2 cup of unhealthy food like milkshake or chocolate. While you're on liquids or mushies it gets even more ambiguous because those foods go right through the band. Since your caloric intake should be greatly lowered at this point anyway just by virtue of being on mushies, I wouldn't worry about quantities at this point. Just stay away from things high in sugar or calories and eat what you need to get your nutrition without making yourself sick or uncomfortable. Remember, the goal now is to heal, not to lose weight.

Once you get back on solids and get a fill, then you can worry about portion sizes. Even then, the 1/2 cup rule does not always apply, but rather serves as a guide. You'll have to find what portion sizes work best for you so that you can lose the weight, get the benefits of healthy food, and not be making yourself pb.

AFTER SURGERY, CAN YOU DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU WANT OR DO YOU HAVE TO RATION THAT AS WELL?

I found out since my second fill that I am not getting enough fluids in me. I am not thirsty usually, but when I do get really thirsty, I know I am in trouble because my body needs the fluids and I cannot drink or chug water like before. About two or three sips and I have to wait till it goes through. I didn't waited long enough once and it almost came back up. It is so important to get your fluids and I have been really bad at that lately. I am risking dehydration and so on. :(

So, the more hydrated the better, but be careful because when you are on solid foods(this is where I get in trouble), you can drink up to a half to an hour before meals and then about an hour after. Never drink with meals. Now I have been good with that part. ;) Sometimes I get really thirsty right after a meal, and I have to wait and suffer before I can drink a little. It's very tricky getting all your fluids in sometimes, but I guess I need to do what some people do and drink as much as possible between meals and not graze or be tempted to snack much. I guess that is what you are supposed to do, but I usually don't.:(

Ok, enough rambling. Good luck and take care. :)

Judy

You can, and should, drink lots of water. Once you go back on solids you should not drink anything for an hour after eating, but other than that there are no restrictions water-wise.

clynn,

you are a complete inspiraiton...i am curious how much you have lost to date as you haven't updated your profile - which i love reading everyones by the way! -. it's amazing what you have done in such a short period of time!