Why surgery in Mexico? A response...

Post #20

Group: Members

Member No.: 11307

QUOTE (jankoke @ Jan 13 2008, 05:31 PM)

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end. But, you sound like a fat person trying to get out of a skinny body!! It probably takes a lot of mental work just to get your head into a place you've never been before.........thin. Just a question about getting lapbands outside the US......WHY???????????????? I wouldnt trust those guys as far as I could throw 'em. And that aint far! Is the cost that much less?? You cant sue Mexican docs. I'm concerned about getting it done here in the US, but risking an operation it in Mexico, no way!

Jankoke,

I think you might want to do some research before writing off Mexico or other places to obtain surgery. As a nurse for over 25 years, and someone who has

researched gastric banding for the last two years, I believe that OCC in Tijuana is the premier leader in the field of gastric banding. First of all, in the US the band is rarely, if ever, covered by insurance. The average cost can be anywhere from 17,000-29,000$!!!! I don't know about you, but I sure don't have that kind of money! Secondly, the average surgeon in the US doing gastric banding has less experience than surgeons in other countries. Europe has been doing the banding for years (probably close to 15). Who do you think trains the US surgeons?? Yep, the docs from other countries! And with all due respect, if your

priority is looking to "sue" someone if something happens, you may want to seriously re-think having surgery at all. The risks for ANY kind of surgery are just that...risks. There are many, many mistakes made in hospitals in our country on a daily basis. Sometimes honest, sometimes not. Remember that the price of healthcare will continue to escalate if everyone sues for each and every mistake that's made.

Lainie

Lainie,

I was critical at first, as well, but my sister-in-law researched it a lot before having the procedure done five years ago. Her experience was very positive, and just watching her since then and dealing with the stressors and setbacks in my life made me realize that it's time. I prefer going to a surgeon who does the teaching and has had a lot more experience doing the banding procedure. My s-i-l has lost 120 lbs and is still losing. My goal is to lose 85. Also I had a surgery in a So. Cal. hospital by a supposedly good doctor several years ago, and he did a horrible job -- so much so that I had to have the mess undone. All it did was make my condition worse.

I would have been banded by Dr. Ortiz much sooner I think if it weren't for that experience. Nevertheless, I understand where you're coming from.

My best to you, Mary Pat

Post #20

Group: Members

Member No.: 11307

QUOTE (jankoke @ Jan 13 2008, 05:31 PM)

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end. But, you sound like a fat person trying to get out of a skinny body!! It probably takes a lot of mental work just to get your head into a place you've never been before.........thin. Just a question about getting lapbands outside the US......WHY???????????????? I wouldnt trust those guys as far as I could throw 'em. And that aint far! Is the cost that much less?? You cant sue Mexican docs. I'm concerned about getting it done here in the US, but risking an operation it in Mexico, no way!

Jankoke,

I think you might want to do some research before writing off Mexico or other places to obtain surgery. As a nurse for over 25 years, and someone who has

researched gastric banding for the last two years, I believe that OCC in Tijuana is the premier leader in the field of gastric banding. First of all, in the US the band is rarely, if ever, covered by insurance. The average cost can be anywhere from 17,000-29,000$!!!! I don't know about you, but I sure don't have that kind of money! Secondly, the average surgeon in the US doing gastric banding has less experience than surgeons in other countries. Europe has been doing the banding for years (probably close to 15). Who do you think trains the US surgeons?? Yep, the docs from other countries! And with all due respect, if your

priority is looking to "sue" someone if something happens, you may want to seriously re-think having surgery at all. The risks for ANY kind of surgery are just that...risks. There are many, many mistakes made in hospitals in our country on a daily basis. Sometimes honest, sometimes not. Remember that the price of healthcare will continue to escalate if everyone sues for each and every mistake that's made.

Lainie

Touche Lainie! I'm so sick of explaining to my family members. My hubby's fault. I told him not to tell anyone but he told one and here I am getting all the same kinda argument as "Jankoke" above. I don't mind explaining but there's attitude with the people I'm dealing with. Jankoke, do you think it's fair for your insurance company to basically tell you that you have to gain another 30 lbs. or so to meet the bmi requirements before you can have the surgery, when co-morbide health issues already exist from obesity? Most patients are obtaining financial loan for a self pay. It's not a quick fix... it's still a lot of hard work if you read on this forum or other bandster forums. But it is a tool that has been proven to work by the bandsters that exist.

Touche Lainie! I'm so sick of explaining to my family members. My hubby's fault. I told him not to tell anyone but he told one and here I am getting all the same kinda argument as "Jankoke" above. I don't mind explaining but there's attitude with the people I'm dealing with. Jankoke, do you think it's fair for your insurance company to basically tell you that you have to gain another 30 lbs. or so to meet the bmi requirements before you can have the surgery, when co-morbide health issues already exist from obesity? Most patients are obtaining financial loan for a self pay. It's not a quick fix... it's still a lot of hard work if you read on this forum or other bandster forums. But it is a tool that has been proven to work by the bandsters that exist.

Thanks for the support! :lol: I know exactly where you're coming from personally (my family, too!) AND being a nurse I find people quick to put down any other health care system but ours. It's a shame...

When is your surgery date? Good luck to you and keep those of us who are following you posted! If all goes well, my band date will be June 19.

Take care :-h

Lainie

:huh: I also have had to answer to my friends & family about why I went to Mexico....one reason is I dont have insurance & had to pay cash ......honestly, I would rather have a leading doctor in Mexico than throw back dr.'s we have around here in my area. Sad to say but all the health care experiences Ive had here in California have been pretty horrible.........does that make sense? :)

:huh: I also have had to answer to my friends & family about why I went to Mexico....one reason is I dont have insurance & had to pay cash ......honestly, I would rather have a leading doctor in Mexico than throw back dr.'s we have around here in my area. Sad to say but all the health care experiences Ive had here in California have been pretty horrible.........does that make sense? :)

I agree with lanie! I was "overdosed" on pain meds given by my doc in an American hospital right here in my home town and respiratory arrested! I was banded on 2/18 and felt the care I was given was better than what I had here in America! I too am having to justify to friends why mexico and I say "Would you want a doctor who does 2 heart bypasses a month to do yours or one that does 6 a day?" Well, they always say "6 a day" and I say "that is why I went to dr. ortiz!" He does 6 a day and has it down to a fine science that works! So we will all have to show "them" that TJ was the right choice! Keep your chin up! :rolleyes:

It ABSOLUTELY makes sense! Let's hope whoever gets elected makes some sweeping changes in healthcare!

Lainie

I agree with lanie! I was "overdosed" on pain meds given by my doc in an American hospital right here in my home town and respiratory arrested! I was banded on 2/18 and felt the care I was given was better than what I had here in America! I too am having to justify to friends why mexico and I say "Would you want a doctor who does 2 heart bypasses a month to do yours or one that does 6 a day?" Well, they always say "6 a day" and I say "that is why I went to dr. ortiz!" He does 6 a day and has it down to a fine science that works! So we will all have to show "them" that TJ was the right choice! Keep your chin up! :rolleyes:

How did it go, JilliePooh? How are you feeling by now? Am trying to patiently wait until June..LOL :lol:

Lainie