WAgal banded on Feb 28th

First of all let me say hello to my fellow bandsters that were there: Stephanie, Kelly, Lisa, Linda, Melody, Mackenzie there were more but my brain can't seem to remember right now. But anyways, it was great seeing all of you. I had a great experience and yes to my amazement, my daughter, Charlene, was such a big help. After surgery I was very groggy and sleepy, I walked a few times around the clinic but my recollection is a blur.

First things first:

Francisco picked us up at the airport. Three parties, Kelly, Stephanie and myself. We were brought into the clinic and were filling out paper work. Somehow there were two openings for surgery that afternoon and Kelly and Stephanie opted to do it. There were only 2 openings so I was left to my original date of Feb 28... those traitors!!! Hehehe.. it worked out well as Linda and Lisa were new bandster friends that I got to know and had my last dinner with at the hotel before we had our surgery on the morning of the 28th. Well to my amazement that morning there were 8 of us scheduled for surgery. Wow, I said! I talked with Dr. Martinez not realizing it was him when I asked for an extra blanket for my daughter and then I acknowledge who he was and he came into the room and conversed with us for a little while. Within a half an hour Jossi (I think that's the nurse's name) was prepping me for surgery, IV, pain killer, my insulin, I'm diabetic. I also had to have oxygen inhaled (tube like thing I was breathing into) because I was only 74% on the lung test breathing tube thingy. So yes practice your breathing. Next thing I knew Dr. Ortiz sat down beside my chair and was introducing himself and being his comedic self again, just like when I spoke to him on the phone. Wow these doctors are awfully handsome. Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ortiz whoohooo.. but I'm sure they are both married so keep your hands off ladies. Off goes Dr. Ortiz and then next thing I remember is I'm in the operating room (my daughter claims I was wheeled away in a wheelchair). No recollection of the wheelchair... I must have been out of it already. I opened my eyes looking for Dr. Ortiz. I even remember saying "Dr. Martinez, where is Dr. Ortiz?" Dr. Ortiz replies on the right side saying count to 10 Hanna and close your eyes. I did until I got to 5 and then reopened my eyes. Again Dr. Ortiz asked me to count to 10 and close my eyes and he said see you after the operation. Next recollection my private room (30 mins. is all that I was gone per Charlene, my daughter). She said I was walked around a few times then wanted to sleep... Yeah.. I remember being very sleeepy. I slept and slept till the following morning I wanted to walk some more. Anyways that morning I checked out and checked into a hotel in San Diego. I chose to do this because my flight back to WA was at 6:30am in the morning today!!! March 1st and here I am posting. I didn't get the shoulder gas pain that Lisa and Linda got but I've got lots of gas. Yes pretty gross aye? Anyways thanks for the gas X strips Lisa, they sure helped immediately while I was in the airport this morning. Gotta get me more. Overall, my experience has been great!!!! I love to meet people and am happy to have hooked up with all the nice folks I met there in TJ, including Martha who gave us a ride to the border. My greatest news that I have to share with you is that I took my fasting glucose yesterday and today and it said 120 for both days!!! My fasting glucose has not been under 170 for almost 6 months now and that alone was worth my getting banded. I'm so elated! I don't know if I'm just jumping the gun here but an added bonus is I've lost another 4 lbs! Just weighed myself. Here's to good start on banding!!! My port area hurts but probably normal. No bleeding, remarkable thing they used was human glue on my surgery cuts. This is to reduce scarring..I even bought the anti scarring cream... we'll see if it works. I loved the clinic and the whole experience. I'm an adventurer by nature but the bond we formed immediately as bandster there, together was just awesome. I have to create a MYSPACE so we can better keep in touch with each other's progress and plan our fills to Mexico new friends of bandsters.

Blessings to all of you,

Hanna/WAgal :P

196/pre-op 189/now 185/goal 125??

Hanna,

Glad to hear everything went well and you found a good solution for your early flight back north. Keep us posted on your progress!

Snowbird,

Thank you!!! You were key to my decision and totally right about how great they are at the center. They were very accommodating, your demeanor and friendliness helps. True they are doing their best especially because of the influx of patients due to the Oprah Winfrey show. Dr. Martinez is a sweetheart. I had constipation issues and I called him. He answered the phone himself at 7:20am. I was very impressed and he was so informative and reassuring!! That's service for you. I'm expected to loose 10 lbs from surgery recovery and then it will stabilize per Dr. Martinez. Darn... anyways... I'll keep everyone posted. I'm excited and feeling a lot better today. Can't wait 'tlll I'm where Pammie is, tummy tuck. That's what I'm dreaming of anyways. I got a tire around my tummy and I'm not suppose to do abs work until after 3 months. If it doesn't go away then tummy tuck here I come. Blessings to all of you! I just hope all this excitement doesn't wear off!!!

Hanna :)

Hi Hannah,

I also got banded on the 28th, I was the latin girl next door to you! haha! Zulma, remember me? I'm glad your doing well. I too am still a little gassy, I guess its normal. I'm a lttle sore around the bigger cut, but overall I am doing better. Today was the first day I came into the forum, hopefully I get in touch with the others in our group so we can all give eachother support. I hope you feel better, and im glad to hear your glucose level is lower.

By the way thanks for perfectly describing the experience, I too have only good things to say about the OCC and their staff... and yes

Dr. Ortiz is mmm mmm handsome! LOL

Take Care

Zulma

First of all let me say hello to my fellow bandsters that were there: Stephanie, Kelly, Lisa, Linda, Melody, Mackenzie there were more but my brain can't seem to remember right now. But anyways, it was great seeing all of you. I had a great experience and yes to my amazement, my daughter, Charlene, was such a big help. After surgery I was very groggy and sleepy, I walked a few times around the clinic but my recollection is a blur.

First things first:

Francisco picked us up at the airport. Three parties, Kelly, Stephanie and myself. We were brought into the clinic and were filling out paper work. Somehow there were two openings for surgery that afternoon and Kelly and Stephanie opted to do it. There were only 2 openings so I was left to my original date of Feb 28... those traitors!!! Hehehe.. it worked out well as Linda and Lisa were new bandster friends that I got to know and had my last dinner with at the hotel before we had our surgery on the morning of the 28th. Well to my amazement that morning there were 8 of us scheduled for surgery. Wow, I said! I talked with Dr. Martinez not realizing it was him when I asked for an extra blanket for my daughter and then I acknowledge who he was and he came into the room and conversed with us for a little while. Within a half an hour Jossi (I think that's the nurse's name) was prepping me for surgery, IV, pain killer, my insulin, I'm diabetic. I also had to have oxygen inhaled (tube like thing I was breathing into) because I was only 74% on the lung test breathing tube thingy. So yes practice your breathing. Next thing I knew Dr. Ortiz sat down beside my chair and was introducing himself and being his comedic self again, just like when I spoke to him on the phone. Wow these doctors are awfully handsome. Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ortiz whoohooo.. but I'm sure they are both married so keep your hands off ladies. Off goes Dr. Ortiz and then next thing I remember is I'm in the operating room (my daughter claims I was wheeled away in a wheelchair). No recollection of the wheelchair... I must have been out of it already. I opened my eyes looking for Dr. Ortiz. I even remember saying "Dr. Martinez, where is Dr. Ortiz?" Dr. Ortiz replies on the right side saying count to 10 Hanna and close your eyes. I did until I got to 5 and then reopened my eyes. Again Dr. Ortiz asked me to count to 10 and close my eyes and he said see you after the operation. Next recollection my private room (30 mins. is all that I was gone per Charlene, my daughter). She said I was walked around a few times then wanted to sleep... Yeah.. I remember being very sleeepy. I slept and slept till the following morning I wanted to walk some more. Anyways that morning I checked out and checked into a hotel in San Diego. I chose to do this because my flight back to WA was at 6:30am in the morning today!!! March 1st and here I am posting. I didn't get the shoulder gas pain that Lisa and Linda got but I've got lots of gas. Yes pretty gross aye? Anyways thanks for the gas X strips Lisa, they sure helped immediately while I was in the airport this morning. Gotta get me more. Overall, my experience has been great!!!! I love to meet people and am happy to have hooked up with all the nice folks I met there in TJ, including Martha who gave us a ride to the border. My greatest news that I have to share with you is that I took my fasting glucose yesterday and today and it said 120 for both days!!! My fasting glucose has not been under 170 for almost 6 months now and that alone was worth my getting banded. I'm so elated! I don't know if I'm just jumping the gun here but an added bonus is I've lost another 4 lbs! Just weighed myself. Here's to good start on banding!!! My port area hurts but probably normal. No bleeding, remarkable thing they used was human glue on my surgery cuts. This is to reduce scarring..I even bought the anti scarring cream... we'll see if it works. I loved the clinic and the whole experience. I'm an adventurer by nature but the bond we formed immediately as bandster there, together was just awesome. I have to create a MYSPACE so we can better keep in touch with each other's progress and plan our fills to Mexico new friends of bandsters.

Blessings to all of you,

Hanna/WAgal :P

196/pre-op 189/now 185/goal 125??

Hi Hannah,

I also got banded on the 28th, I was the latin girl next door to you! haha! Zulma, remember me? I'm glad your doing well. I too am still a little gassy, I guess its normal. I'm a lttle sore around the bigger cut, but overall I am doing better. Today was the first day I came into the forum, hopefully I get in touch with the others in our group so we can all give eachother support. I hope you feel better, and im glad to hear your glucose level is lower.

By the way thanks for perfectly describing the experience, I too have only good things to say about the OCC and their staff... and yes

Dr. Ortiz is mmm mmm handsome! LOL

Take Care

Zulma

Hi Zuma,

Of course, I remember you! Ha ha ha... my brain somewhat scrambled from the drugs, pain killer I think. We talk about Dr. Ortiz, like he is CANDY. He's just so charismatic and so good looking. I wonder if he reads these things we say. (Lori, does he??) That would be embarrassing. Anyways, Dr. Martinez, so kind and handsome also... didn't want to neglect him. Okay, I've figured out the slider thing that I see so much posted. Here's mine:

weight.png

Hi Zuma,

Of course, I remember you! Ha ha ha... my brain somewhat scrambled from the drugs, pain killer I think. We talk about Dr. Ortiz, like he is CANDY. He's just so charismatic and so good looking. I wonder if he reads these things we say. (Lori, does he??) That would be embarrassing. Anyways, Dr. Martinez, so kind and handsome also... didn't want to neglect him. Okay, I've figured out the slider thing that I see so much posted. Here's mine:

weight.png

Dear Zulma, Lisa, Linda, Kelly, Stephanie, and others recently banded,

How are you guys doing? I've decided that we should use this forum as our daily support or whenever we can hop on the computer. God4me (Monet) said she formed a bandster group in Vegas because the local ones won't allow them to join. You know we can do this here. We can just tell each other our problems and ask for the experienced bandsters to support us and give us advice, since they have been through it. I was told during the local seminar here that support was important after getting banded. I know the bandsters here have been very helpful when I've emailed them directly for specific info. How about it? Just post whenever. Should we continue here or do we need to start a new topic called "Day to day experience from being banded on Feb 28, 2008" ?

Well, here's what I've been doing. Finally made my own chicken vegetable soup. Just boil a whole chicken cut in half, throw in vegetables you like, but celery, carrots, onions are basics that really give it that great flavor, then a few bouillon cubes. I've been living on this as my main broth for sipping for the last two days and it tastes good. I used the chicken for other dishes for my family to eat. Believe me it is a challenge to cook for my family and not eat it. The thing is I'm not hungry. In fact I have this bloated full feeling after just sipping 1/4 cup of anything. It's head hunger I'm fighting. A church friend brought fresh baked bread from those bread machines and I so wanted to eat it. Instead of fighting the urge I decided to take a little bite, chew it, then spit it out. Why? Cause I'm crazy, I know I can't swallow it. I didn't want to keep thinking about it so I did then next best thing I knew w/out feeling deprived. Warning ladies, if you try to eat before you are suppose to then you will PB. Throw it up and feel terrible like you had the most horrible heartburn ever. I've read enough about this in blogs and forums that I don't want to experience it. Plus you'll ruin the whole purpose of the band and possibly injure yourself/the band. It is VERY important to follow Dr. Miranda's advise on your diet. She tweaked this food schedule specifically for you and your needs, at least she did mine. Also I've been reading that bread and rice is not a good choice to eat after being banded. Crackers are okay but we'll see. Maybe experienced bandsters can tell us on this forum.

Okay, head hunger has been a battle, are you guys having this too! I keep focusing on the results I want. No more diabetes, loosing weight to fit in skinny jeans???? I've been doing a little lite housework to keep me busy but the incisions still hurts. Going to go walking today w/kids although it's rainy outside. I just have to get out! Gotta go fix my kids some lunch... I'll post more. Please post... I want to know your experience... we can get through this and just support each other.

Blessings,

Hanna

Ladies,

I'm getting headaches too. I think it's caffeine withdrawals. I forgot that Dr. Miranda said that it was okay to have coffee than avoid it and get headaches. I'm having some coffee right now. What I've been drinking since surgery. Water, tea (different kinds) some w/splenda, beef and chicken broth. Sugar free popsicles. I got two boxes of the 18 count and my little girls and I eat about 2-3 a day each. They are only 15-30 calories. Meds over the counter that helped are liquid glycerine by Fleet (suppositories) for constipation, mylanta, Gas X strips, that's about it. I'm going to start taking Tylenol soon if my aches and pains around the port continue to bug me tomorrow. Have a good one ladies, if you feel down, just remember there are at least 8 of us on this forum that had just underwent what you are going through. I'm there with you in spirit anyways! Get online and post to get it out of your system!! Complain, rave, inspire, anything!!!

Hanna :)

hi hanna! i loved your post----i agree-----i was banded on feb 27th and am feeling the same things you are. I have DEF. chewed food and spit it out hahaha- just to crunch something! im getting sick of just drinking things! i am still feeling a little pain in my port area, but my incisions look great, they are healing and dont look red at all. I havent started smoking again, so Im pretty proud of myself for that- I have also (as of this AM) lost 18lbs since starting the pre-op diet. Im thrilled! The head hunger is quite a battle but i TRY and remember that i am LOSING weight-and binge eating doesnt solve my problems!

another little issue was that I thought I had strep throat (started on sunday) but i went to the doctor today and (WARNING THIS IS GROSS) i have "pusstuels" (sp?) in the back of my throat. My Dr. things it might be acid refulx...but ive never felt that before....he also said it might be a virus..sooo im waiting to hear back- hopefully it will go away on its own! I dont have a fever- so I think i am ok.....i just dont want it to go to my stomach since i am newly banded. I hope that everyone is doing well and losing weight!

mackenzie

Hi Gals Banded on 2/27 & 2/28... I thought I was the only one fighting head hunger... I remember Dr. Mirandas words "if you cant drink it, don't eat it!"... well that cookie that went in my mouth last night, sat in my mouth till it became mush and it went down fine. But I had just one. How terrible of me, but sweets are my downfall. I had a better day today... had some broth and later some drinkable yogurt, all these liquids are drowning me! I'm glad to hear all your stories and mental suggestions for keeping our minds free from food. I hope the stories continue, I know this will get easier and later we will be grateful. Tomorrow I will weigh myself and see how much ive lost since the preop, I hope it makes me happy. We want miracles overnight, it just doesn't work that way. Well I wish everyone "strength" on this band journey. I know I need it.

p.s Broth anyone? :)

Hi Gals Banded on 2/27 & 2/28... I thought I was the only one fighting head hunger... I remember Dr. Mirandas words "if you cant drink it, don't eat it!"... well that cookie that went in my mouth last night, sat in my mouth till it became mush and it went down fine. But I had just one. How terrible of me, but sweets are my downfall. I had a better day today... had some broth and later some drinkable yogurt, all these liquids are drowning me! I'm glad to hear all your stories and mental suggestions for keeping our minds free from food. I hope the stories continue, I know this will get easier and later we will be grateful. Tomorrow I will weigh myself and see how much ive lost since the preop, I hope it makes me happy. We want miracles overnight, it just doesn't work that way. Well I wish everyone "strength" on this band journey. I know I need it.

p.s Broth anyone? :)

Now I am getting scared. I am having such a hard time with the pre-op diet...darn scale won't budge. Is there such a thing as starvation mode? I have heard that when you limit your intake beyond a certain point, your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto every ounce it can. I found this when I didn't strictly follow herbalmagic plan, and ate less than what they recommended. after i bumped up my caloric intake just a touch, my weight went down again. is anyone worried about this during pre-op and post op? Or am i just paranoid?

Now I am getting scared. I am having such a hard time with the pre-op diet...darn scale won't budge. Is there such a thing as starvation mode? I have heard that when you limit your intake beyond a certain point, your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto every ounce it can. I found this when I didn't strictly follow herbalmagic plan, and ate less than what they recommended. after i bumped up my caloric intake just a touch, my weight went down again. is anyone worried about this during pre-op and post op? Or am i just paranoid?

Hi Sparetire,

I did the 2 shakes and lean cuisine, 10 days before the surgery. I sometimes felt I needed to eat something small so I did sort of an atkins diet where you can only eat protein and it still worked. when i say protein i mean steak (small portion of course, and chicken (not fried). Maybe you should call the nutritionist Dr. Miranda and talk with her now about your pre-op diet, she is very nice. I just tried it on my own as given to me on the paperwork and it seemed to work so I didn't bother to call Dr. Miranda then. I'll keep rooting for you!!! Before you know it you'll be in our stage, the liquid diet... and we'll be helping you through it. Ha ha ha!!!

Hanna

Yes!! I knew I wasn't the only crazy one chewing and spitting it out. LOL!!! It's so funny.. I had coffee over what... um some hours ago and I'm still bloated. You know that feeling you have after having a VERY satisfied meal! It's kinda making me angry that I'm so bloated all the time. I hope that my band and all is well. Mackenzie, I'll be praying for you regarding that postule thingy on the back of your throat. Will it go away by itself then? I sure hope so. Oh.. Zulma the broth thing... I am so broth out!!! I want so badly to have something w/texture... like I dunno... yogurt.. I'm cooking dinner so getting the head hunger thingy again.. but in my head I'm thinking skinny jeans... I'm gonna go out dream shopping tomorrow at the mall and get inspired by some fashionable outfit I'd like to wear!!! Ha.. that's already making me feel better. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! to not eat that is!

Hanna :lol:

Hi gang from 2/28/08!

Alyssa and I just got back from our "creamy soup" run. A couple of the cans have pictures on them that looked a little chunky, but I have a Cuisinart stick blender so I am pretty sure I can make them smooth. I did all liquids on the preop diet because it sort of coinsided with Lent and fasting, so I wanted to do it that way. Unfortunately, Alyssa didn't have to do the preop at all, they only asked that she not gain any weight, so she is really having a heck of a time. We have gotten back into our schedule, back to work and school as of yesterday (Monday). Alyssa hasn't had any gas pains, but I'm really feeling it almost constantly. At night it seems a little better, probably because I'm laying down. A couple of times at work I thought I might double over, but took a couple of deep breaths and a few sips of water, and just managed. I'm not sure which is worse, having to cook for your family when you can't eat yourself, or having a spouse that is a great cook! My husband and my son enjoyed shrimp last night, and a beautiful NewYork strip steak the nite before. I have to go to the bedroom when they are eating, first of all so they don't feel bad eating in front of me, but also because I am afraid I might drool on myself if I don't leave-haha. I don't know if it is just me, but he almost seems to have become a better cook in the last week (laugh). He likes to feed to show love, but you know what? He hasn't offered me a bite of food since we got back. Maybe he is just making sure his investment in the "band" pays off- haha.

I thank you Hanna for starting this thread. It is so great to actually reply to someone that you have met face to face. Thinking a lot about all of you and how phenomenal the experience at the OCC was. We were talking about what a blurr it all seems like to have been to Mexico for surgery and back. Stay well all! Diana

Diana and Alyssa,

I know what you mean about the trip in Mexico being a blur. Had I not had Charlene there, I would not be coherent about the time frame of events. I distinctly remember walking at the center after surgery but it was like dreaming, sleep walking. I have pictures of me asleep and awake right after surgery but no recollection of when they were taken. Reading your post made me laugh about the experience being a blur. I laughed and it hurt my PORT area. LOL!! The NY steak and shrimp story sounds so delicious. How lucky you are to have a husband that can cook for the rest of your family though. My husband will and can do anything around the house but cooking is not his thing. He'd rather live on pizza and eggs and bacon, which will surely send him (and my kids) to an early grave. Like Monet always says "Be Blessed" and you are very blessed. Oh and about the band as an investment, my hubby is already estimating the date of when I'll get a tummy tuck!!! I thought I was jumping the gun, but I'm trying to see it as a positive thing, that he does want the body he married into and misses but also loves the WHOLE me. I'm sticking with this thought because he has been very helpful pulling me up from the sofa when it hurts to get up and he has been rubbing my feet to help me fall asleep. Good night! Keep posting.

Hello ladies/gents! I created a myspace with pictures of my trip to Dr. Ortiz's center for surgery. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly so give me feedback if you are having trouble.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=348513845

I've decided to do a diary blog for a way to keep track of how I'm doing on a day to day basis. How are you doing today? I still lost another pound, so now I'm up to the 10 lbs. I'm suppose to lose and probably will be staying at this weight for awhile. Be well. Today is a very good sunny day outside. Cold but at least sunny. I feel soooo much better. I was able to sip my liquid danon yogurt with no problem at all for breakfast. Don't know exactly what type of creamy soup to eat but am excited to go grocery shopping for some. My sutures look good.. still sore at the port area but 10 times better than 3 days ago. What are you all having for dinner? I'm out of ideas... already. By the way.. the group pic of us (night before surgery) is in the myspace. Lisa, I know you wanted a copy... I think you can just copy it there. Thanks!

WAgal/Hanna

I was also banded on the 28th, but I arrived later in the afternoon so I was the last surgery of the day and was in the semi-private room nearest the door. Glad to hear you are doing well!

Hi! MamaMichelle... How are you doing? Are you planning to do the fill in Mexico? I'm already trying to think in advance about plane tickets... gotta book 2 weeks in advance to get a break on cost. I may have seen you because I remember faces but can't put a name to them. Let me/us know how you are doing?

Hi Hanna , I tried to request you as a friend from the myspace link but it says i need your last name or e/mail address. Your privacy settings are high! LOL

does it work now? :( let me know it took a little while for it to allow me to change the settings.

does it work now? :( let me know it took a little while for it to allow me to change the settings.

ok.. so now i can see all the pics .. you are sooo pretty and Dr. Ortiz is a hottie! Your info is all squished together and can't find the "add as friend button" lol

www.myspace.com/mindiluwho

Well I'll say ladies.....what about the rest of us.......remember us little us that gave yal all the answers BEFORE you got banded......hello :lol:

I am so excited for all of you. See, it was just the way we said it. =D>

Trust me it gets better...enjoy not being hungry cause that will change soon. <_< We all need each other, so keep the posts coming! You all sound like your finding your way.

One question, how do you post the weight tracker on our posts??? Please let me know!

God is 4 You ><'

Hi God4me-

We were all saying when we were at the clinic how valuable the forum was to us, and everyone expressed amazement at how folks did it prior to the forum. Before the trip for surgery we were on the forum everyday devouring everything about this procedure. For us (me and teenage daughter), it really helped us prepare not only for the the procedure itself, but also with the details of traveling to Mexico. On behalf of all of us Newbie bandsters, thanks to all who made their way before us and have posted here to let the rest of us know what to expect. Your experience and posts have been invaluable!!

Blessings,

Diana

Touche!! ><' I second Diana (tootsie_lou)! I am so thankful to all of you seasoned bandsters who have helped us on this forum. All your input advise have been SO helpful! I only hope I can be at where you guys are once we have reached Nirvana (goal) of where I'd like to be! So please stay tuned I/we still need you! We are just at the beginning stage (sick of liquid sipping)! :(

with my love and gratitude, :wub:

Hanna/WAgal