Banded 2/27

Hi everyone! I thought that I would write about my expierence at the OCC to help put future lap band patients at ease! I was SO skeptical about going to Mexico for surgery, paying by paypal, etc. Especially hearing my best friends reaction on having surgey in Mexico...however I still had faith in Dr. Ortiz and his team.

My husband and I flew in from Florida on the 26 and was picked up right on time. There was another lap band patient on our plane who was picked up with us as well. It was about a 20 minute ride from the airport to the OCC where we turned in our original paperwork, signed some more papers, got out picture taken for our ID card, and then started our pre op. First of all, yes we had to wait a bit, but that is to be expected. Second, the blood work was a piece of cake, the heart and lung test was easy, and the meeting with Dr. Miranda the nutrionist was one on one and as informative as you want it to be. The clinic was very nice, looked just like it does in the pictures on the website.

From there we went to the hotel. The hotel is nice...I would recommend to ask for a room on the quiet side! Since it was cool at night in TJ the hotel did not have the AC on and it was so loud to have the door open!!!! My husband and I dropped off our bags and went to the rest. since I had been fasting all day! (BY THE WAY, PEOPLE DO GET SENT HOME IF THEY DO NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT! ALSO YOU HAVE TO FAST!!!!!! FYI). We got an appetizer and some pizza and for dinner I had a salad that was SO GOOD!

The next morning Mrs. Ortiz picked us up at around 730 and off we went. We waiting a bit for the other patients to be released and our rooms to be cleaned and then we were called back one by one. The private rooms were great. The bed was comfy and there was direct tv (with HBO!) The place was spotless! I was instructed to change and remove my jewlerly. Then the nurse came in and started my meds. Ive always had a hard time getting an IV started and this was no exception! She tried 4 times, and finally got it! That was a bit painful. They also gave me some oral meds that disolve under your tounge. Dr Martinez and Dr ortiz both came into my room- they were so nice and caring. Asked if we had any questions and then just had some small talk with me and my hubby. I was totally at ease!

Then I was ready. I walked into the surgery room and everyone was moving SO FAST! I layed down- they strapped my hands down and then I realized that he had already started my anethesia! I saw 4 of everything- then i was out. I did wake up rather quickly- i was still in the OR and they were just finishing glueing up my incisions- i also still had the tube down my throat. I was a bit startled about that. Then they wheeled me back into my room and I was pretty alert. I watched TV and then about an hour later I was helped by my nurse to get up and walk around. I did get a little nausua (SP?) after walking so they gave me more meds.

That night I just enjoyed the TV and the nurses, and the comfy setting. After my 3rd bag of IV fluid, they removed the IV (but let the port in to give me one more round of pain med and anti nausea meds before being discharged) After the IV was removed I changed into my PJs and went for another walk. They gave me a sleeping pill and I went to bed around 11.

I was discharged around 9 the next morning and taken back to the hotel by Mrs. Ortiz where my husband was waiting.

Our flight home was at 1030 PM on friday and we got dropped off at the airport at like 1PM!!!! WE WERE AT THE AIRPORT FOREVER. I was a bit mad about that....-- after 24 hours of being in the airport, I am at home. SORE. I think that long day of traveling might have been a little much. I do have gas pains in my stomach and its very uncomfortable.. Ive been burping a lot, and its pretty painful. Sitting for a lot period of time isnt fun.

I am very pleased with everyone at the OCC. I met a lot of nice people! I am struggling with not eating. I dont think Im hungry but its just emotionally hard. VERY HARD. I think that this struggle of not eating (well it will last for about 3 more weeks) and then I can eat again, but never like I used to...and that is something that is hard to think about....

I hope that this puts anyone at ease about the surgery, it was fun. I want to go back bc the OCC was that nice!!!! Good luck!

Mackenzie

Hi everyone! I thought that I would write about my expierence at the OCC to help put future lap band patients at ease! I was SO skeptical about going to Mexico for surgery, paying by paypal, etc. Especially hearing my best friends reaction on having surgey in Mexico...however I still had faith in Dr. Ortiz and his team.

My husband and I flew in from Florida on the 26 and was picked up right on time. There was another lap band patient on our plane who was picked up with us as well. It was about a 20 minute ride from the airport to the OCC where we turned in our original paperwork, signed some more papers, got out picture taken for our ID card, and then started our pre op. First of all, yes we had to wait a bit, but that is to be expected. Second, the blood work was a piece of cake, the heart and lung test was easy, and the meeting with Dr. Miranda the nutrionist was one on one and as informative as you want it to be. The clinic was very nice, looked just like it does in the pictures on the website.

From there we went to the hotel. The hotel is nice...I would recommend to ask for a room on the quiet side! Since it was cool at night in TJ the hotel did not have the AC on and it was so loud to have the door open!!!! My husband and I dropped off our bags and went to the rest. since I had been fasting all day! (BY THE WAY, PEOPLE DO GET SENT HOME IF THEY DO NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT! ALSO YOU HAVE TO FAST!!!!!! FYI). We got an appetizer and some pizza and for dinner I had a salad that was SO GOOD!

The next morning Mrs. Ortiz picked us up at around 730 and off we went. We waiting a bit for the other patients to be released and our rooms to be cleaned and then we were called back one by one. The private rooms were great. The bed was comfy and there was direct tv (with HBO!) The place was spotless! I was instructed to change and remove my jewlerly. Then the nurse came in and started my meds. Ive always had a hard time getting an IV started and this was no exception! She tried 4 times, and finally got it! That was a bit painful. They also gave me some oral meds that disolve under your tounge. Dr Martinez and Dr ortiz both came into my room- they were so nice and caring. Asked if we had any questions and then just had some small talk with me and my hubby. I was totally at ease!

Then I was ready. I walked into the surgery room and everyone was moving SO FAST! I layed down- they strapped my hands down and then I realized that he had already started my anethesia! I saw 4 of everything- then i was out. I did wake up rather quickly- i was still in the OR and they were just finishing glueing up my incisions- i also still had the tube down my throat. I was a bit startled about that. Then they wheeled me back into my room and I was pretty alert. I watched TV and then about an hour later I was helped by my nurse to get up and walk around. I did get a little nausua (SP?) after walking so they gave me more meds.

That night I just enjoyed the TV and the nurses, and the comfy setting. After my 3rd bag of IV fluid, they removed the IV (but let the port in to give me one more round of pain med and anti nausea meds before being discharged) After the IV was removed I changed into my PJs and went for another walk. They gave me a sleeping pill and I went to bed around 11.

I was discharged around 9 the next morning and taken back to the hotel by Mrs. Ortiz where my husband was waiting.

Our flight home was at 1030 PM on friday and we got dropped off at the airport at like 1PM!!!! WE WERE AT THE AIRPORT FOREVER. I was a bit mad about that....-- after 24 hours of being in the airport, I am at home. SORE. I think that long day of traveling might have been a little much. I do have gas pains in my stomach and its very uncomfortable.. Ive been burping a lot, and its pretty painful. Sitting for a lot period of time isnt fun.

I am very pleased with everyone at the OCC. I met a lot of nice people! I am struggling with not eating. I dont think Im hungry but its just emotionally hard. VERY HARD. I think that this struggle of not eating (well it will last for about 3 more weeks) and then I can eat again, but never like I used to...and that is something that is hard to think about....

I hope that this puts anyone at ease about the surgery, it was fun. I want to go back bc the OCC was that nice!!!! Good luck!

Mackenzie

Hi Mackenzie,

I had dinner with Kyle, your husband, along with the Feb 28h scheduled bandsters, got a photo to prove it. You were so sweet to assure us after your surgery while you were doing your walks with us/the newcomers in the lobby. I really appreciated your kindness and willing to show your surgery marks. I have them too now.! I'm so sorry about your long wait at the airport. I had a really early return flight home and didn't want that to be a problem and so I did arrange in advance to stay at a hotel in San Diego (priceline). We caught a cab with Martha(getting her fill) to the border then got on the trolley to the Omni Hotel ... spent a little more for hotel and taxi cab but well worth the extra $110 (hotel and cab). We were comfortable and got there just 20 mins. before we had to board (after all the tsa and baggage check-in). I have a lot of gas myself but the gax-X strips sure helps a lot. I'm going to buy some liquid vitamins right now and some other stuff. Get a lot of rest...

Later,

Hanna/WAgal

Hi Mackenzie,

I had dinner with Kyle, your husband, along with the Feb 28h scheduled bandsters, got a photo to prove it. You were so sweet to assure us after your surgery while you were doing your walks with us/the newcomers in the lobby. I really appreciated your kindness and willing to show your surgery marks. I have them too now.! I'm so sorry about your long wait at the airport. I had a really early return flight home and didn't want that to be a problem and so I did arrange in advance to stay at a hotel in San Diego (priceline). We caught a cab with Martha(getting her fill) to the border then got on the trolley to the Omni Hotel ... spent a little more for hotel and taxi cab but well worth the extra $110 (hotel and cab). We were comfortable and got there just 20 mins. before we had to board (after all the tsa and baggage check-in). I have a lot of gas myself but the gax-X strips sure helps a lot. I'm going to buy some liquid vitamins right now and some other stuff. Get a lot of rest...

Later,

Hanna/WAgal

hey! kyle had a great time with you guys! Thanks for entertaining him! I showed my surgery marks? hahaha i dont remember that!- oh jeez! I am so jealous of your nice trip home! It took a lot out of me- I might have to get the Gas X strips bc i am very uncomfortable. Take care! Are you having a hard time not eating as well? I know i am!!!

hey! kyle had a great time with you guys! Thanks for entertaining him! I showed my surgery marks? hahaha i dont remember that!- oh jeez! I am so jealous of your nice trip home! It took a lot out of me- I might have to get the Gas X strips bc i am very uncomfortable. Take care! Are you having a hard time not eating as well? I know i am!!!

Hi Mackenzie!

I don't know if youv've heard of Pho(pronounced Fa) soup. It's Vietnamese. Anyways if you have heard of a Vietnamese soup place near your home then send Kyle out to get some. Just ask to order the meatball soup to go and then extra beef stock for your meal for then next few days, they give a lot. Don't eat any of noodles or veges or meatball they may pack along with it, of course. But the soup is fantastic, packed with so much flavor. They also have chicken stock if you prefer but the beef is what I've always ordered. Another thing I've tried is wonton soup from a Chinese restaurant. Ask to make sure the broth is clear and then drink away just the broth...Kyle can have the wontons. He he he.. I'm satisfied so far. Don't sit down and eat with your family. Get on the computer and read blogs on bandsters, that's what I do for now. Get better.. I just woke up from a nap but will sleep again.

Hanna :)

Congats Ladies, =D>

See, it was just the way we said it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is so good, I will be prayerful for all of you. Healing is the miracle of the Lord. Remenber to thank HIM for a safe and sucessful surgery!

Excited for all of you!

God be with you ><'

Mackenzie

HI Mackenzie!!!

Glad you guys came home safely! I know I have not emailed but I will, I promise.

I cannot eat at all - I am not even thinking about food - which I have to be careful about. I do not even want to drink anything. I guess I am very swolen.

5 days post op, I still have soreness, bloating and a bit of gas pain. Gas-X works for me and allows me to pass gas. Otherwise, I feel great - and always feeling better than the day before.

I had a fun time with you guys! Hopefully this stain on our tummy will get off.

Keep in touch,

Shampoo

HI Mackenzie!!!

Glad you guys came home safely! I know I have not emailed but I will, I promise.

I cannot eat at all - I am not even thinking about food - which I have to be careful about. I do not even want to drink anything. I guess I am very swolen.

5 days post op, I still have soreness, bloating and a bit of gas pain. Gas-X works for me and allows me to pass gas. Otherwise, I feel great - and always feeling better than the day before.

I had a fun time with you guys! Hopefully this stain on our tummy will get off.

Keep in touch,

Shampoo

hahaha yeah i wish i wasnt hungry! my gas pains feel like they are getting worse sometimes. i am just sore, i think that the long flight may have been a bit much for me. i sent kyle to the store to get me some liquid yogurt..........and he came back empty handed. so it looks like i will have to wait until tomorrow. hope all is well