Smoking

Hey Everyone! Has anyone out there that needed to quit smoking used prescription medication to help? If so, what did you use and what are the side effects?

Funny you should ask that. Today is the day I had to quit for my surgery (can I mention I am less then friendly today). I went to my Dr. today and she said there is no magic pill. Recommended Nicorette CQ patches. Racing to pick them up after work.

I have heard many people have success on the RX called Chantix. Does anyone know why you have to quit smoking?

I believe that it has to do with your lung capacity, for non-smokers or those who quit before they are better able to breathe while under anesthesia.

it also has to do with your blood-- i dont remember what smoking does to it...takes oxygen out??!?! something...I quit on the 10th- surgery on the 27 and i still havent smoked! YOU CAN DO IT ! you are getting the band to become healthier, quit smoking too!!!!!!!

CHANTIX WORKS GREAT!!! I TOOK IT BEFORE I HAD MY TT AS THE DR WOULDN'T TOUCH ANYONE THAT HAD SMOKED WITHIN THE LAST 30 DAYS. I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT IT'S CALLED BUT IT'S PRETTY UGLY WHEN THE SCAR DOESN'T HEAL AND YOU'RE LEFT WITH AN OPEN WOUND. THE PERCENTAGE IS HIGHER IF YOU'RE A SMOKER OF GETTING THIS. DAMN, WHAT IS THAT CALLED?

Yes, I was wondering why you have to quit because I have had numerous surgeries and always smoked and have been fine. It just confuses me!

CHANTIX WORKS GREAT!!! I TOOK IT BEFORE I HAD MY TT AS THE DR WOULDN'T TOUCH ANYONE THAT HAD SMOKED WITHIN THE LAST 30 DAYS. I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT IT'S CALLED BUT IT'S PRETTY UGLY WHEN THE SCAR DOESN'T HEAL AND YOU'RE LEFT WITH AN OPEN WOUND. THE PERCENTAGE IS HIGHER IF YOU'RE A SMOKER OF GETTING THIS. DAMN, WHAT IS THAT CALLED?

This is what I found online about smoking and wounds from a plastic surgery doctor:

The smoking is, in fact, a huge issue, as nearly every procedure that could otherwise be used to close this wound is highly dependent on blood supply; that blood supply is compromised by smoking. Tobacco smoking is one of the leading avoidable causes of death in the world. With time, it leads to cancer, hardening of the arteries, and to lung and kidney disease. Moreover, it also severely affects how active and passive smokers heal from injury. Wounds of smokers do not close well, potentially remaining as open sores which, with time, can become sites for local infection, spread systemically in the body, and become life-threatening. Moreover, problematic healing caused by smoke occurs in people of all ages (for example, in children living in the homes of smokers), not only in older individuals as is the case for most smoke-induced ailments. The problem of open sores is not only life-threatening but it also bears heavily on health care costs as people with open wounds frequently need to be hospitalized..

Hey Everyone! Has anyone out there that needed to quit smoking used prescription medication to help? If so, what did you use and what are the side effects?

After a 2 pack a day for almost 40 years, I quit using Chantix. It worked great. I didn't do well on patches. With Chantix you don't get any nicotine. Even though my insurance company would not cover it, I was spending about the same on the med as I was for cigs. Today is my one year anniversary of being a non-smoker. I was just banded last month and I can't imagine going through preop diet and quitting smoking at the same time. Good luck!

Pat

OK, GOTTA 'FESS UP ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. YA KNOW...YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO QUIT SMOKING AT LEAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY. I STOPPED KINDA SORTA A WEEK OR SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE SURGERY AND SMOKED AGAIN WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE HOTEL. I HAVE HAD MANY SERIOUS SURGERIES AND AFTER ONE OF THEM, QUIT SMOKING FOR FOUR MONTHS, BUT THEN LIFE AND STRESS HAPPENED AND STARTED AGAIN. STILL SMOKE AND SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I HAVE REPLACED EATING FOR SMOKING. I MEAN, WHEN I KNOW I AM FULL AND CANNOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING FOR AWHILE....I SMOKE.

I HAD KNEE SURGERY A FEW MONTHS AGO AND STILL HEALING, SO I CAN'T EXERCISE LIKE I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO. IT'S REALLY HARD TO WALK VERY FAR WITHOUT MY KNEE GIVING ME PROBLEMS. THAT SHOULD CHANGE SOON I HOPE.

PROBABLY MAKING EXCUSES HERE, BUT I KNOW IT'S A BAD WAY OF DEALING WITH LOSING ONE HABIT(OVEREATING), AND REPLACING IT WITH ANOTHER. I LIVE AT HOME WITH MY MOM AND BROTHER RIGHT NOW AND THEY BOTH SMOKE(MUCH MORE THAN I DO), AND ALOT OF TIMES I THINK OF QUITTING, BUT THEN WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WITH SECOND HAND SMOKE.

MY MAIN AND HIGHEST PRIORITY RIGHT NOW IS TOO LOSE ALL THE EXCESS WEIGHT I CAN AND BECOME HEALTHIER AND FEEL MUCH BETTER ABOUT MYSELF. THEN, I GUESS WILL BE QUITTING SMOKING. I JUST CANNOT DEAL WITH BOTH YET. ;)

HOPE THIS DOESN'T SOUND TOO PATHETIC.

PEACE,

JUDY