Slippage

Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I had the flu and now that I am better, I am wondering if my band has slipped or if it is just irritated from throwing up. I can only drink small amounts, I am in no pain, I am just a little scared. How can you tell when your band has slipped? Does it hurt? My doctor is out of the office until Tuesday and the other doctors won't see me because I was banded n Mexico. I cant get to Mexico for a week or so. If I go see my doctor Tues, can he tell if my band has slipped from and xray.

I appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks

If you can still get enough liquids down it is not an emergency situation. Give it a few days and the swelling should go down. If not, then it's time to call Dr Ortiz and get his advice. Your doctor may be able to find out if it slipped through an x-ray, but if lap-band isn't his specialty he may not know what to look for.

For future reference, you can have your primary care physician write you a prescription for anti-nausea medicine which will keep this from happening the next time you get the flu. I keep a box on hand just in case, and it costs the lowest level of co-pay ($10) under my insurance.

How long ago were you banded and how long have you been over the flu?

If you can still get enough liquids down it is not an emergency situation. Give it a few days and the swelling should go down. If not, then it's time to call Dr Ortiz and get his advice. Your doctor may be able to find out if it slipped through an x-ray, but if lap-band isn't his specialty he may not know what to look for.

For future reference, you can have your primary care physician write you a prescription for anti-nausea medicine which will keep this from happening the next time you get the flu. I keep a box on hand just in case, and it costs the lowest level of co-pay ($10) under my insurance.

How long ago were you banded and how long have you been over the flu?

Like clynn says, band slippage isn't an emergency situation unless you cannot keep yourself hydrated. There really aren't any clear cut symptoms of slippage, other than continously being able to eat too much or way too little. You do need a fluoroscopy to check it if you continue to have difficulty getting food down. Luckily, you live in SoCal so it isn't that hard to get to TJ. You can wait a week just fine, as long as you can get fluids into yourself.

Like clynn says, band slippage isn't an emergency situation unless you cannot keep yourself hydrated. There really aren't any clear cut symptoms of slippage, other than continously being able to eat too much or way too little. You do need a fluoroscopy to check it if you continue to have difficulty getting food down. Luckily, you live in SoCal so it isn't that hard to get to TJ. You can wait a week just fine, as long as you can get fluids into yourself.

Thanks guys for the info, I am not so worried now, I was banded March last year , haven't had a problems at all until now. I love my band. I will give it a few days, I just didn't want to wait if it was emergency if it did slip.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly