My Experience - not the norm

Hey All:

First of all, my experience at OCC was good. There could have been a few minior improvements, but I wasn't complaining. Overall, the stay at the hotel, the surgery and the hospital stay was good.

My surgery date was April 27, 2007 and like eveyone else before surgery, I was told to do the pre-op liquid diet. I just couldn't get it together and ended up not losing a single pound. Luckily, it didn't cause a problem because my BMI was about 36-40 and Dr. Otiz approved my surgery. Maybe I was too anxious or something, who knows.

As I continued my journey to weight loss after surgery, I too was on liquids, then worked my way up to solids. I thought I was on my way to a better body after my first fill in June, but not so. I would eat small portions, chew slowly, not drink with meals, you name it, but to no avail, NO WEIGHT LOSS. Weeks turned into months and I only maintained. I maintained for awhile, at least 4 to 5 months. THEN THE WORST THING HAPPENED! I STARTED TO GAIN WEIGHT! I found myself eating just a much as I did before surgery. I thought maybe I should cut back on my eating. That didn't work because like every diet I tried before, I'd start off good, then revert back to my bad eating habits. I didn't want to believe that the band failed me, so I tried my best to eat healthy and work with the band. I FAILED MISERABLY! This went on for 6 months. It never dawned on me that I needed another fill. It will almost be a year since my surgery and I HAVEN'T LOST A SINGLE POUND! I contemplated going back to Mexico for a second fill, but was ashamed to face them. I thought they'd say, "YOU MEAN, YOU PAID ALL THIS MONEY, AND YOU HAVEN'T LOST A SINGLE POUND! I just knew I wouldn't hear the end of it.

All things changed when I told my co-worker how I felt about going for a second fill. She said, "Forget about what people say and get that fill, girl." She said it doesn't make any sense that you've gone through all of this and sacrificed alot just to have lapband surgery and not benefit from it. She said, " SHUT UP ALREADY AND GO BACK FOR THAT FILL!" Let me tell you, that was all it took. She even called OCC herself and scheduled the fill for me. Within two week I was back at OCC getting the fill. When I arrived, I still thought I'd blown it and they would give me the evil eye. Well, guess what, NO ONE CARED. No one gave me a hard time at all. The gentleman who gave me the fill was so reassuring and positive about me losing weight after the fill that I could have kicked myself for even thinking those thoughts.

Guys, I got home and GUESS WHAT? I STARTED LOSING RIGHT AWAY! I was soooo happy, I could have screamed. Matter of fact, I think I did shout, HALLELUJAH! I got the second fill on February 18, 2008 and by February 25 I was down 10lbs. As of today, I am down 15lbs and still losing. I don't know what my problem was, but I'll tell the whole world, that THE LAPBAND REALLY WORKS! It may take a few fills to get to the "sweet spot" and start losing weight, but it truly works and I'll never doubt it again. I just wished I didn't wait so long to get the second fill. I could have at least been half way to my goal weight, but I'm not complaining anymore.

Guys, don't do what I did and wait. If you find yourself eating just as much as you did before surgery, GET A FILL! I waited almost a year to before I got some sense knocked back into me. Well, thanks for reading my post and good luck to eveyone.

Bev4life

Thank you so much for that story. I can understand where you were coming from...weight is a very touchy issue and perceiving judgment from others is probably the biggest one. I feel so thankful that everybody is willing to share their experiences so others can learn from what works and what doesn't. I hope you continue losing weight and good luck!! You can do it!!

Thank you and God bless,

Jacklyn

Thanks for sharing your story- I totally feel how you felt- I was just banded however, weight has been a battle for all of us im sure and it is really dissapointing when you dont lose anything! esp in you GAIN (even just one pound) So thanks for letting us all know how important fills are!

Thanks for sharing your story- I totally feel how you felt- I was just banded however, weight has been a battle for all of us im sure and it is really dissapointing when you dont lose anything! esp in you GAIN (even just one pound) So thanks for letting us all know how important fills are!

Great post Bev4life... it's a lesson I will not forget!

Hanna :)