I hardly had any pain at all... mostly discomfort from the gas, but no real pain... I've heard the same things about pain meds in Mexico, but I tell you, whatever they gave me kept me happy and in good spirits... and I didnt take any pain meds after they released me from the hospital.

Kyle

:) thanks kyle. i hope i won't need any pain meds after either. I can not find the gas-x strips anywhere so i am kndof worried about that can't wait my week before is comming up.

I hardly had any pain at all... mostly discomfort from the gas, but no real pain... I've heard the same things about pain meds in Mexico, but I tell you, whatever they gave me kept me happy and in good spirits... and I didnt take any pain meds after they released me from the hospital.

Kyle

I found the gas X strips at Walmart. It seemed to be the only place that had them. After I got them someone mentioned that they weren't as effective as the chewables so I got a box of each...just in case. :blink:

:) thanks kyle. i hope i won't need any pain meds after either. I can not find the gas-x strips anywhere so i am kndof worried about that can't wait my week before is comming up.

:) Thanks Laura, I am excited and will probable get both I have read so many people say that they do not work so I will get them anyway and also get the liquid tylonal that has been mentioned too thanks and good luck with your surgery I am going in on may 25th and can not wait.

I found the gas X strips at Walmart. It seemed to be the only place that had them. After I got them someone mentioned that they weren't as effective as the chewables so I got a box of each...just in case. :blink:

Hey, I also have surgery on May 25th... See you there

Eric can't wait to meet you. I just started my pro-op diet today and I am doing good I think the excitment is what is fueling me at the moment. I am kind of dissapointed I ordered the book on May 3rd and still have not got it. that sucks I wanted to be really prepared. good luck to you

To: Chrissysdolphin

The pain for me was nominal. The hardest part was the 4-hour plane flight back to Charlotte followed by driving 2 hours home. But I was just a little sore. The doctors had given me 4 "Supradol" 30 mg tablets in case I did have pain. They are sublingual...similar to Toridol in this country. I only used one, and it helped me sleep on the flight. I flew home on Saturday and didn't have any problems going back to work on Monday.

I don't think Supradol is available in this country, but is readily available over-the-counter in Tijuana, at about $ 2.00 US/tablet. They come in 4-packs. But don't worry, pain will not be a problem....

I will want to know where that pharmacy is because my pain tollerance sucks and I want to be feeling good for the first few days. BTW...does it make you feel like a Super Doll?? LOL :P

To: Chrissysdolphin

The pain for me was nominal. The hardest part was the 4-hour plane flight back to Charlotte followed by driving 2 hours home. But I was just a little sore. The doctors had given me 4 "Supradol" 30 mg tablets in case I did have pain. They are sublingual...similar to Toridol in this country. I only used one, and it helped me sleep on the flight. I flew home on Saturday and didn't have any problems going back to work on Monday.

I don't think Supradol is available in this country, but is readily available over-the-counter in Tijuana, at about $ 2.00 US/tablet. They come in 4-packs. But don't worry, pain will not be a problem....

I will want to know where that pharmacy is because my pain tollerance sucks and I want to be feeling good for the first few days. BTW...does it make you feel like a Super Doll?? LOL :P

Dear Housecat Girl,

The medication that Dr. Ortiz provides will be more than sufficient, because there will be little need for it! However, finding a pharmacy will not be a problem either...because they are on every corner in Tijuana! lol

I had the liquid Tylenol and the Gas-X strips...never used either one! I was up walking an hour after surgery and felt wonderful. Walk, walk, walk........and then walk some more!

I walked myself into surgery and Dr. Ortiz's and Dr. Martinez along with their staff are all just superb. Guess what? One of his surgical nurses raised her scrub top so I could see her surgical site.... I could hardly call them scars because the were so insignificant...and she let me touch her port sight. My pre-surgical jitters disappeared. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat!

You are in good hands...Dr. Ortiz is the "BEST". Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Hugs,

Dreamer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about the port site. I'm a left side sleeper, will it be a problem? Can you feel it through your skin? Can you see something is there? If I decide to have tummy tuck later, will that be a problem?

Lori, congrats on your decision. I to am a side sleeper and I had my surgery on may 25th and after the first couple of days I had no troble sleeping on my side. I think I can feel something there but it may just be that I know where it is. You cannot see it there just the incision. I can not answer the tummy tuck question but Dr. Ortiz does talk about plastic surgery later down the road and do not remember him saying no tummy tuck but you might want to ask to be sure. good luck C.

Lori - My port site is about 5 or 6" above my navel and about 3" to the left of that point. You can log on www.lapbandtalk.com to view pictures of lapband patient's surgical sites if you are curious as to where they are located and what they look like. I can feel the port if I push gently on my abdomen, but I can't see it. It took me a few weeks to be able to sleep on my left side, but I've read posts by others who said they were sleeping on their abdomen only days after surgery ... everyone is different. It's helpful to have a little pillow on your bed to help brace your belly as you position yourself for sleep. As far as a tummy tuck goes... that incision is made in your bikini line and should not be anywhere near the incisions you have for your lap band. From the research I've conducted, there is no restriction for plastic surgery once you've reached your goal weight. Lap-banders don't typically have the percentage saggy skin that other bariatric weight loss patients expereince. Hope this helps! Chelley

• 3 weeks later...

Kyle

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem getting your pain meds back across the border?

Also, I am allergic to codeine---will that be a problem? Tylenol 3 and Hydrocodone/vicoden has codeine in it. I am getting banded in July---haven't set the date yet, but near the end.

---Karen

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem getting your pain meds back across the border?

Also, I am allergic to codeine---will that be a problem? Tylenol 3 and Hydrocodone/vicoden has codeine in it. I am getting banded in July---haven't set the date yet, but near the end.

---Karen

Dr. Ortiz dispenses a medication similar to Toradol here in the USA. I also have the same drug allergies you have and I did not have a problem taking this medication. I had no trouble getting my medication across the border or through airport security.

Dr. Ortiz dispenses a medication similar to Toradol here in the USA. I also have the same drug allergies you have and I did not have a problem taking this medication. I had no trouble getting my medication across the border or through airport security.

Do you have to do anything special like fill out any forms or anything to go across the border or

for airport security? I will also be bringing my levoxyl in my purse with me---all will be in original

container.

---Karen

Do you have to do anything special like fill out any forms or anything to go across the border or

for airport security? I will also be bringing my levoxyl in my purse with me---all will be in original

container.

---Karen

I took insulin syringes and insulin vials with me in my purse, along with my Prozac. I was concerned too and called American Airlines and there are no restrictions for carrying your medications as long as they are in the original containers. My bag was not searched when it went through the security check at the airport in Dallas or the airport in San Deigo. I did not have to fill out any forms at the border. Truly, this is the least of your worries. Border crossing is boring because of the wait. You sail right through on your way into Mexico, but coming back to the USA is sometimes a 4 hour wait which is exhausting after surgery. We went back in a airport van and the driver would stop and kill the engine to conserve gas... we rolled down the windows, but with several of us in the van it was hot and uncomfortable. At the actual border check, a guard came to the van asked if we were all US citizens and if we had any fruit on board. There wasn't even a bag check nor did he ask for ID. Now on the way home from a fill, we were asked to get out and go through security in the building and had to walk across the border - which was faster - only a 20 min delay compared to the long wait we had to go through the line of cars. Want to talk about nerve racking! He didn't speak English and all we knew was we were being put out at the border and he was suppose to meet us where??? I was about to freak out... but it worked out ok.. but they could have let us know in ENGLISH before hand! LOL.