SNOWBIRD

Hi Snowbird,

Noticed that you have done well with your weight loss. =D> Need some tips on eating and how your fills played a part in your success!

Also, your advice is th Bomb! Keep it coming girl... it really helps us newbies ><' Please post and share your secret!

Monet

Hi Snowbird,

Noticed that you have done well with your weight loss. =D> Need some tips on eating and how your fills played a part in your success!

Also, your advice is th Bomb! Keep it coming girl... it really helps us newbies ><' Please post and share your secret!

Monet

Hey, I found it! Well, I've been lucky in that head hunger is a problem sometimes, but I don't get hungry with my band. My food is usually oatmeal or a south beach bar for breakfast; I have soup, chili, or a lean cuisine for lunch, and roasted vegetables and protein (I like grilled salmon, or any kind of meat) for dinner. I don't believe in torturing myself, which means I will buy A cookie or candy if I'm out and the mood strikes me. I buy sugar free ice cream bars or chocolates or pudding, and usually have at least one of these treats per day. My band is tight enough that my portions are small--a cup of soup, one frozen fish fillet, 1/4 cup (dry) oatmeal. I don't worry about small things like cream in my coffee or whipped cream on my pudding. I figure this is for the rest of my life, and if I feel like I am constantly "dieting" I will feel deprived and try to binge to make up for it. I do snack, and will have a half of a 100 calorie bag of popcorn (that's all I can eat) or a Quaker rice cake--I like the multigrain cinnamon toast ones. I count calories and try to stay around 800-1000 per day, although I consider it a good day if I don't go over 1100 or 1200.

I have good enough restriction right now that I can eat a meal like I describe, but if I try to eat more I will end up pbing. I tried to eat some leftover cheesecake this morning after my breakfast bar, and ate two bites and ended up very uncomfortable. I had to take a couple papaya enzyme tablets to get unstuck (good thing to keep around, by the way) and then ended up with hiccups for 20 minutes. You would think I would learn!

Why did I have cheesecake in the house? DH and I went out to dinner yesterday at Cheesecake Factory. We ordered the crab cake appetizer (three small crabcakes) and a side of sauteed vegetables, and split it. We could barely finish that, then ordered their no sugar cheesecake. I ate less than half of it and took the rest home. I still have about a quarter of it left.

For exercise I don't go nuts--I ride my bike 5-10 miles per day, and DH and I often go for a mile walk in the evening. We live in Arizona so the weather is wonderful right now, and it's enjoyable to get out.

I have had two fills with a total of 1.9 cc in my 4 cc band right now. My husband has a 10 cc band and has 7 cc in his, but he has quite a bit less restriction than I do. My last fill was 1/10/08. I went in when I felt I could eat more than I should and wasn't losing weight for three weeks. I am starting to loosen up from that fill--I've lost about 15 lb since then--and we are planning to go back to Tijuana for fills in May, but may need them sooner.

I just want to warn you against comparing yourself too closely with anyone, because we truly are all different. Some people can't lose without a lot of exercise, but I get hungrier when I exercise a lot and find I eat more and don't lose. I "only" had 80 lb to lose and hope to get there by the end of the summer, which I think I can do at my current rate. But if it takes longer, I'm not going to be that disappointed. It will happen eventually.

Two terms you will see here a lot are pbing and sliming. Sliming is when your upper stomach is full or blocked and the stomach mucus and saliva have nowhere to go, so they back up into your mouth. PBing is like mini-vomiting; if your stoma is blocked or you eat too much, it causes pain and discomfort, and may result in the food in your upper stomach being regurgitated back up. It is not mixed with stomach acids and bile like regular vomiting, so it isn't quite as unpleasant as that, but still not a fun thing. PBing is actually short for "productive burping" but for me it is really more just like puking.

They are both signs that you are either filled too tightly so that nothing can go down, or that you have not followed the lap band eating rules: chew thoroughly, eat smaller portions and stop when you are full, and eat slowly with smaller bites. Some foods seem to always cause the problems for some people: pasta is a bad one, since it just turns to a gluey paste in your stomach and plugs up the passage into your lower stomach; soft bread is another. I usually try to avoid any "white carbs" even though I generally don't have a problem with rice and potatoes. They just really don't provide much nutritionally, and when you are eating so much less you can't afford to fill up on non-nutritive foods. Also, because they are high carb, they often spike your blood sugar and then cause a crash, making you hungry sooner.

Hey, I found it! Well, I've been lucky in that head hunger is a problem sometimes, but I don't get hungry with my band. My food is usually oatmeal or a south beach bar for breakfast; I have soup, chili, or a lean cuisine for lunch, and roasted vegetables and protein (I like grilled salmon, or any kind of meat) for dinner. I don't believe in torturing myself, which means I will buy A cookie or candy if I'm out and the mood strikes me. I buy sugar free ice cream bars or chocolates or pudding, and usually have at least one of these treats per day. My band is tight enough that my portions are small--a cup of soup, one frozen fish fillet, 1/4 cup (dry) oatmeal. I don't worry about small things like cream in my coffee or whipped cream on my pudding. I figure this is for the rest of my life, and if I feel like I am constantly "dieting" I will feel deprived and try to binge to make up for it. I do snack, and will have a half of a 100 calorie bag of popcorn (that's all I can eat) or a Quaker rice cake--I like the multigrain cinnamon toast ones. I count calories and try to stay around 800-1000 per day, although I consider it a good day if I don't go over 1100 or 1200.

I have good enough restriction right now that I can eat a meal like I describe, but if I try to eat more I will end up pbing. I tried to eat some leftover cheesecake this morning after my breakfast bar, and ate two bites and ended up very uncomfortable. I had to take a couple papaya enzyme tablets to get unstuck (good thing to keep around, by the way) and then ended up with hiccups for 20 minutes. You would think I would learn!

Why did I have cheesecake in the house? DH and I went out to dinner yesterday at Cheesecake Factory. We ordered the crab cake appetizer (three small crabcakes) and a side of sauteed vegetables, and split it. We could barely finish that, then ordered their no sugar cheesecake. I ate less than half of it and took the rest home. I still have about a quarter of it left.

For exercise I don't go nuts--I ride my bike 5-10 miles per day, and DH and I often go for a mile walk in the evening. We live in Arizona so the weather is wonderful right now, and it's enjoyable to get out.

I have had two fills with a total of 1.9 cc in my 4 cc band right now. My husband has a 10 cc band and has 7 cc in his, but he has quite a bit less restriction than I do. My last fill was 1/10/08. I went in when I felt I could eat more than I should and wasn't losing weight for three weeks. I am starting to loosen up from that fill--I've lost about 15 lb since then--and we are planning to go back to Tijuana for fills in May, but may need them sooner.

I just want to warn you against comparing yourself too closely with anyone, because we truly are all different. Some people can't lose without a lot of exercise, but I get hungrier when I exercise a lot and find I eat more and don't lose. I "only" had 80 lb to lose and hope to get there by the end of the summer, which I think I can do at my current rate. But if it takes longer, I'm not going to be that disappointed. It will happen eventually.

HEY SNOWBIRD!

CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!! =D> I HAD A QUESTION.... WHAT ARE PAPAYA ENZYME AND WHAT DOES IT DO FOR YOU? I'M REALLY PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ALREADY-BEEN-BANDED PEOPLE ARE SAYING, I GOT MY GASX STRIPS THE OTHER DAY! :lol: ANYWAYS, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP US UPDATED.... YOUR ADVICE [ALL ALREADY-BEEN-BANDSTERS ADVICE] IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! ;)

THANKS! DARLENE

Papaya enzyme comes in chewable tablets, and you can usually find it with vitamins and supplements in the store. I got mine at GNC. It tastes good, by the way, kind of pineapple-papaya tasting. It helps dissolve foods more quickly and is generally used as a "digestive aid". For me it helps break up foods that are stuck more quickly and eases the pain of something stuck quicker than just waiting it out.

Well I'll say.....your popular! Sista can't get in on her own post (smile) Now back to the post, I did not know that your daughter is Cylnn, she is the BOMB! Wow, Now I can see the advice is on the same level. What a great family!

Thank you for responding!

Now would you say that your weight loss was slow in the begining?

Is the fill causing the the bulk of the weight loss?

Snowbird, your choices are healthy ...so your saying that even with the good meals , you

can only eat a little!

No offense fellow bandsters....I posted to Snowbird ....so please let us talk.... thats generally why I thought we post to them directly....like others have done! You may do a private message to her if you like.....I guess! Thank you .... :rolleyes:

All is well!

Papaya enzyme comes in chewable tablets, and you can usually find it with vitamins and supplements in the store. I got mine at GNC. It tastes good, by the way, kind of pineapple-papaya tasting. It helps dissolve foods more quickly and is generally used as a "digestive aid". For me it helps break up foods that are stuck more quickly and eases the pain of something stuck quicker than just waiting it out.

THANKS SNOWBIRD, I'LL BE CHECKING THOSE OUT!! ><'

Well I'll say.....your popular! Sista can't get in on her own post (smile) Now back to me. I did not know that your daughter is Cylnn, she is the BOMB! Wow, Now I can see the advice is on the same level. What a great family!

Thank you for responding!

Now would you say that your weight loss was slow in the begining?

The fills is what cauisng the the bulk of the weight loss?

Snowbird, your choices are healthy ...so your saying that even with the good meals , you

can only eat a little!

No offense fellow bandsters....I posted to Snowbird ....so please let us talk.... that generally how we do it! You may do a private message to her if you like. Thank you .... :rolleyes:

All is well!

Uh, that was a little rude. I think if you want a private conversation between the 2 of you, then it is you who should e-mail. This is a public forum and anyone can answer or ask anyone anything. What you said was not very nice and I found it very offensive.

.....That is what Public is ALL about!! Thanks Snowbird for the great information! Have a Blessed day everyone! =D>

Thanks everyone for your posts........our opions....are very important to us and sometimes define who we are and so ....each post has been well noted! ;)

On this forum, we are required to respect one another. I simpily posted to Snowbird and each and eveyone one of you could have sent her a private message as well....and so that you don't get your bands in a rumble, lets drop it! I would say that we should put that energy into LOSING WEIGHT! :lol:

So that there is no confusion on this foum, your welcome to send ME a private message, if you feel the need to keep THIS going...... however, I can't promise you that I will respond....Be blessed :-h

Monet :D

Thanks everyone for your posts........our opions....are very important to us and sometimes define who we are and so ....each post has been well noted! ;)

On this forum, we are required to respect one another. I simpily posted to Snowbird and each and eveyone one of you could have sent her a private message as well....and so that you don't get your bands in a rumble, lets drop it! I would say that we should put that energy into LOSING WEIGHT! :lol:

So that there is no confusion on this foum, your welcome to send ME a private message, if you feel the need the keep it going...... however, I can't promise you that I will respond....Be blessed :-h

Monet :D

right back at you Monet.

One love everyone

Oh come on Monet...if you want to "talk to snowbird" then you should PM her, it's not all about you.

SJ

Monet, honey, I have to say jetdeck and the others are right. If it's on a public forum the general rules of etiquette are that it is open to the public to respond and discuss. In fact, I think it is considered rude to have a completely private conversation on a public forum--kind of like sitting with two or three friends but only agreeing to talk to one of them. No offense to anyone here, as we are all here to learn and share. I am happy to reply to either private messages or public postings.

Now, that said, no, my weight loss has been pretty steady, except for the period 4-6 weeks after surgery (what is often referred to as bandster hell, because you don't have any fills or restriction yet) and the past two weeks, when DH and I were driving cross country and I was not moving for most of the day and snacking on bad stuff, because I was on vacation so I deserve a treat, don't I? (Bad way of thinking.) I lost 19 lb pre op. I have had success as dieting in the past, with 65 lb lost a couple years ago on Atkins and other diets where I have lost 50 or 60 lb, but I always gain it back and more. This time I feel as though my band is my safety net; I simply can't eat enough to gain it back with my band there. I could choose to eat really bad stuff all the time, but I don't have a problem staying away from that if I have a treat occasionally.

The other thing that makes it easier for me is that my husband is a bandster too. We were banded together, grocery shop together, go out for meals together, and we support each other in eating well. Plus, I don't have to buy food for anyone else as our kids are grown and out of the house. There is no way a package of Oreos is ever coming into our house, because we just can't rationalize it. I feel bad for visitors sometimes, because I don't buy junk food, there is no sugar in the house, no flour, no potatoes, no pasta.

As I said, I'm happy to answer anyone's questions, but if any of you want another point of view, there is a forum titled lapbandtalk.com that is a large forum for bandsters covering every topic under the sun related to lap band (and even a few that aren't related!). I'm not the goddess of banding by any means (that's my daughter's title :) and there are a lot of extremely knowledgable people on that site, as well as a few strange ones and some doctor's employees masquerading as patients to steer newbies to their employer. I have learned a lot there.

Well hello Snowbird......again we are entiled to our opions........so there you have it!

Feel a need to keep this going ?........ send me a private message. I have no problem agreeing to disagree :) and with being THAT said...... thanks for sharing your success! Carry on........ Any other topics up for discussion ? :lol:

Blessings ><'

Monet

I read this post this morning and I was taken aback by it also. Message board etiquette is that once a thread has been started in a public forum then anyone is entitled to reply to it. If you wish to have a private conversation with another member it should be done through PM.

In example, the thread I made to MamaMichelle about her progress was meant for everyone to see and congratulate her to keep her going. I would have never dreamed of cutting off other people from responding to her. If I only wanted it to be between me and her then I would have PMed her or sent her a message through myspace so it would be kept private between just she and myself.

Kimmie,

Got your post,......... can we just let it die now! =D> This is how mess keeps going and going! Do you have a topic that will be of interest? Please share, so that we can all grow by.....let's try that..... while were posting!

Go and have yourself a nice day......... ><' wishing you the best once your finally banded!

Blessings for all!

Monet

I am glad you understand my point Monet.

As for an interesting topic, Hmmmm..I'll get back to you on that one! I am in pre-op diet non smoking hell at the moment. LOL

Kimmie,

Can't wait to hear your new topics.......it seems by your last post........ the drama has finally ended...thank you! :D

Look forward to your banding.. =D> ..so that you can share your own experience and we can help you in your journey! :rolleyes:

Best wishes!

God4me!