Need Info!!

Hi all was told I need gastric bypass/lapband surgery, I have several co-morbidities, live in alaska--Christall looks like you are a neighbor!

I ran across OCC and would like some detailed info, like-how many visits to the center before surgery--(flight cost ouch!) do they do insurance? any hidden costs you found after getting there? I researched several clinics, found a lot to have hidden fees, or didnt want the business based on my location and followups its getting frustrating and i am seriously looking outside the us for surgery!

any help would be appreciated!!!

thank you!! #-o

Hello,

They will do the surgery the same day, if all your pre-op stuff comes out well. Blood work, heart test, breathing test, ect. No hidden costs at all!!! Your price includes hotel while you are there. and a ride to and from the air port! Fills are extra plan on that, but OCC was wonderful!! I don't know about insurance, I don't believe they take it, but maybe your insurance will reimburse you?? Don't know best of luck, but I can tell you, you will not be disapointed with occ, they were wonderful!!

Donna

Hi all was told I need gastric bypass/lapband surgery, I have several co-morbidities, live in alaska--Christall looks like you are a neighbor!

I ran across OCC and would like some detailed info, like-how many visits to the center before surgery--(flight cost ouch!) do they do insurance? any hidden costs you found after getting there? I researched several clinics, found a lot to have hidden fees, or didnt want the business based on my location and followups its getting frustrating and i am seriously looking outside the us for surgery!

any help would be appreciated!!!

thank you!! #-o

hi there.

I am from Canada, just a little south of you. My sister and I were banded Mar 10 by Dr. Ortiz (1week post op now) and we found no hidden costs. There were only phone pre-consults, no visits. The drs are great and available to speak to or email when you have questions. Follow the pre-op diet and you will be fine.

The only hidden thing was a hernia that I had and as Dr. Ortiz said "I owe him" cus he fixed it. I gave him a kiss and promised to lose weight. That is all he wanted...

As for fills, we will be going to Calgary Alberta (we have no coverage by any insurance) because it is a 6.5 hour drive and we can go shopping there. Cost I believe for the fills will be $125.

I would love to go to TJ for my fills but due to the cost of flying from Canda ($600) and going through customs and length of time getting there, it is just not a wise decision from our viewpoint.

Overall, I would recommend Dr. Ortiz and OCC over anyone else hands down...

I AM HAVING MY SURGERY ON THE 27TH OF MARCH. THEY REQUIRE A $500 DOLLAR DEPOSIT AND THAN YOU HAVE TO GET A CAISHIERS CHECK ONE WEEK BEFORE THE SURGERY AND FAX THEM A COPY. THE LADY THAT HAS HELPED ME OUT HAR NAME IS LORI, SHE IS WONDERFUL AND WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SURGERY AND THE COST. I AM GOING DOWN THE DAY BEFORE MY SURGERY FOR MY PRE OP, THEY PAY FOR THE HOTEL, THE NEXT DAY YOU HAVE SURGERY YOU STAY THE NIGHT IN THE CLINIC, AND THE NEXT DAY YOU CAN GO SHOPPING AND THEY PAY FOR THE HOTEL. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE FILLS ARE FREE, BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY $100 FOR THE FLRO FEE, ITS JUST A LIVE EX-RAY TO SEE HOW MUCH RESTRICTION YOU HAVE. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND CALLING OR EMAILING THEM. GOOD LUCK

whislinkong,

I live in Blaine, Washington during the summer, right on the border with British Columbia. I had my surgery with Dr Ortiz as well. Is there anywhere in Alaska for you to get fills? That would be my major concern. There is an office in Arlington Washington that does fills without fluoro for $125-$150 that my daughter uses and recommends. Don't know if that is easier/cheaper for you to get to or not. There are also a couple doctors in the Seattle area that will take Mexican patients.

As the last poster said, there are no hidden fees with Dr. O. He charges a flat fee that covers van transportation from San Diego airport to his clinic, hotel stay for 3 nights for family/friends accompanying you, transportation between the clinic and the hotel, and van back to the airport after surgery. My daughter, my husband and I have all been banded by him.

The major problem getting the surgery far away from home, regardless of whether it is in the US or in another country, is follow up care. Many places will not help you if they did not do the original surgery, so it is important to line up a fill clinic or after surgery care if you cannot travel easily back to Tijuana.