DOES ANY ONE ELSE HAVE A STRENUOUS JOB?

HELLO, MY NAME IS BRITTANIA AND I AM HAVING SURGERY ON MARCH 27TH. I AM A FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC, AND MY JOB REQUIRES A LOT OF HEAVY LIFTING. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS A JOB LIKE THIS? WHAT WILL HEAVY LIFTING DO TO THE BAND? I ALSO PLAY A LOT OF SPORTS. HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN PLAY AGAIN?(SOFTBALL, SOCCER, BASKETBALL, AND SKIING) PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS

Newbie,

I'm a paralegal and I put out fires......but not like the ones you deal with #-o. Good question, lifting right after surgery will be a problem because of your incisions. Lifting a gerney or caring someone and keeping it steady, may require using your stomach...or say your balance slips and the gerney hits your incision....not good and may cause the incision to open. You may want to tell Dr. Ortiz this when he comes in your room to talk to you before surgery. I'm thinking he may assign you to light duty for longer than normal so that you don't incurr an injury. :-?

When I was younger, I did EMT work so I have a good idea of what you do! Wish you the best !

Monet

HELLO, MY NAME IS BRITTANIA AND I AM HAVING SURGERY ON MARCH 27TH. I AM A FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC, AND MY JOB REQUIRES A LOT OF HEAVY LIFTING. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS A JOB LIKE THIS? WHAT WILL HEAVY LIFTING DO TO THE BAND? I ALSO PLAY A LOT OF SPORTS. HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN PLAY AGAIN?(SOFTBALL, SOCCER, BASKETBALL, AND SKIING) PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS

I was concerned about this also as I do heavy lifting at my work too. Rene said that the very most they will give you off of work is 3 weeks. And I even have a disability plan. I would think though, that some people need more. Ask the doctor when you get there.

They said 3 to 4 weeks, I dirt bike ride, lift weights, and have a heavy child who loves me to lug her around. I didn't do anthing for the first 2 weeks, after the 2nd I felt back to normal and lifted her a little.

Best of luck on your journey!!

A friend's daughter owns her own restaurant, and had band slippage twice, most likely due to heavy lifting too soon after surgery. She had her band replaced and it slipped a second time, and finally gave up on the band. Just a warning to follow the doctor's orders about heavy lifting. The band is stitched into the somach exterior, and if you strain the area too much too soon after surgery you are running some real risks that the band will move and get out of place.

I have two babies so I am concerned about picking them up. I am gonna ask Dr. Martinez about it.

they told me 3 months before i could do sit ups even though i could do other exercises 3 wks after surgery.. put off heavy lifting as long as possible.. now that i am 16 months out i dont notice the band when exercising and lifting but i certainly feel my port and sometimes i twinge it like i over did it but nothing to keep me from continuing to work out - everyone is different but in the beginning you really need to time to heal before going full heavy speed ahead.

kim