Alcohol

zmanzeus

Hi all! I am 20 years old and a college student. I am planning on getting the lap band surgery in the next few months but I am worried about how it will affect my social life. As a college student I drink a lot but not to the extent of being an alcoholic, I dont want anyone getting the wrong impression. I enjoy drinking and going out with my friends very much and I am worried about giving it up because college is one of those times in a persons life where they can do tons of stupid stuff and get away with it. Anyways back to what I wanted to ask about. Can I still drink alcohol after surgery? If so is it like a beer or two and that

Guest marys

Yes you can have alcohol but with a few caveats...no beer or champagne EVER becuz they are carbonated and carbonated anything (sodas, carbonated waters, etc) are out. Also, you shouldn't be drinking with food or one hour after so mostly you are drinking on an empty stomach and your tolerance will probably go way down. Also, I've found some drinks are irritating and while I can tolerate one, thats about all - with margaritas. But I've had wine, martinis, a bloody mary or two, an irish coffee - but i try to stick to one-two drinks a week at the most. If you are drinking daily it's not so great for the band and the calories will probably hinder your weight loss.

Zmanzues,

Young and full of "piss and vinegar" - gosh were those the days. Be careful with thise drinks that were mentioned - especially with any bubbles or carbonation, they will cause excessive gas which will create an uncomfortable and maybe painful feeling.

Some boards mention that it is bad for gastric bypass because it causes a expansion of the pouch. With this surgery, I don't know if it is as dangerous, but why tempt fate.

The best advice anyone can give - it doesn't hurt to be a designated driver! You may even save a life (other than your own with this surgery).

Darrin

40yrs old, 320lbs - BMI 46

Surgery Scheduled for June 22nd.