Maintaining muscle

Hello all,

After sitting in the bank parking lot for 20 minutes this afternoon, I finally bit the bullet and paid my deposit. I guess I'm really serious this time! I just can't picture myself "banded". What will it be like? Will I still feel like me? Will I feel this wierd object in my belly? Will I really really lose weight? That's the most exciting thought. I guess I need to start visualizing myself as a normal weight person. It's hard for me to even wrap my mind around the possibility. Prior to paying my deposit, I was so nervous that all I wanted to do was eat. Funnily enough, my stomach was just too nervous - even for eating. I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been. I'm grateful and indebted to so many of you for your stories.

My main concern now is the dreaded pre-op and post-op diet. The 600ish calorie diet is scary. Even though any muscle I have is camoflauged by fat, I've worked very hard to build the little I do have. For the short periods of time (two weeks max) I've been able to stick to a 1500 cal diet, I've lost weight. Won't I lose muscle mass by such a 600 calorie diet? I guess I need to consult with the nutritionist but I was wondering if anybody might have some personal insight.

It boils down to the old "How do I just lose the fat but keep the muscle" question.

Best wishes,

Lorraine

There are plenty of low calorie protein powders you can buy to help keep the protein in your liquid diet. I like Unjury Unflavored it has 80 calories and 20 grams of protein you can get it at: http://www.unjury.com

I don't recall seeing anything in Dr. Miranda's post op guidelines about sticking to 600 calories, I ate between 800-1100 calories every day for the post op diet and have lost 12lbs in my first 2 weeks! I posted a scanned copy of her exact post op guideline, use the search feature at the top right of the page and you can find it!

There are plenty of low calorie protein powders you can buy to help keep the protein in your liquid diet. I like Unjury Unflavored it has 80 calories and 20 grams of protein you can get it at: http://www.unjury.com

I don't recall seeing anything in Dr. Miranda's post op guidelines about sticking to 600 calories, I ate between 800-1100 calories every day for the post op diet and have lost 12lbs in my first 2 weeks! I posted a scanned copy of her exact post op guideline, use the search feature at the top right of the page and you can find it!

Wow. Thanks for responding so quickly. You're right. I looked more closely and it's the pre-op option 1 that says "one protien shake and breakfast, lunch, and dinner, not over 225 cal per serving." Only 675 cals for the day. Yikes! I guess I'm just a big baby. It's only for seven days but considering I haven't been successful for more than one day on 1500, it's going to be quite the challenge. I'm sure going to be relying on this forum for encouragement and inspiration. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. That's exciting. Are you really not starving on 800-1100 cal post op? If not, then that little band is worth it's 'weight' in gold. HA HA. I wish it were May 1st already, my big day.

I found the post op guideline you posted. I appreciate your help.

Hey There!

I was working out pretty hard before pre-op diet, and didn't have the energy or motivation to do it the week before. Then you can't work out 3-4 weeks after. I went back to the gym last sat. and took it easy. I did lose some muscle, but I figure slowly but surely I'll lose fat and gain muscle back!! Best of luck to you!

Donna

Hello all,

After sitting in the bank parking lot for 20 minutes this afternoon, I finally bit the bullet and paid my deposit. I guess I'm really serious this time! I just can't picture myself "banded". What will it be like? Will I still feel like me? Will I feel this wierd object in my belly? Will I really really lose weight? That's the most exciting thought. I guess I need to start visualizing myself as a normal weight person. It's hard for me to even wrap my mind around the possibility. Prior to paying my deposit, I was so nervous that all I wanted to do was eat. Funnily enough, my stomach was just too nervous - even for eating. I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been. I'm grateful and indebted to so many of you for your stories.

My main concern now is the dreaded pre-op and post-op diet. The 600ish calorie diet is scary. Even though any muscle I have is camoflauged by fat, I've worked very hard to build the little I do have. For the short periods of time (two weeks max) I've been able to stick to a 1500 cal diet, I've lost weight. Won't I lose muscle mass by such a 600 calorie diet? I guess I need to consult with the nutritionist but I was wondering if anybody might have some personal insight.

It boils down to the old "How do I just lose the fat but keep the muscle" question.

Best wishes,

Lorraine

Hi,

I was banded in April of last year. I used protein shakes from Isagenix www.thedetoxlife.com. It helped me to maintain my muscle mass and lose weight. I've also used the protein shakes kirkland brand from Costco. I like them both for my liquid days or just for the added protein. They are both really good and fullfilling. I also eat between 900-1200 calories per day depending on my activities for the day. Good luck.

Lorraine,

I'll be rooting for you! You will be you still but a better you. I'm only a little over 3 weeks post surgery and I already have a different mindset. Take it seriously now... be determined and make the positive changes slowly but surely. Never let anyone make you feel bad about the surgery or don't tell anyone and just watch the compliments you'll get. Do a search on pre-op diet on this forum... there's enough posted. I'll be rooting for you!!!

Hanna =D>

Lorraine,

I'll be rooting for you! You will be you still but a better you. I'm only a little over 3 weeks post surgery and I already have a different mindset. Take it seriously now... be determined and make the positive changes slowly but surely. Never let anyone make you feel bad about the surgery or don't tell anyone and just watch the compliments you'll get. Do a search on pre-op diet on this forum... there's enough posted. I'll be rooting for you!!!

Hanna =D>

Thank you all for your responses. And Hanna, congrats on your 20 lbs lost so far. That's very encouraging.

I'm probably not the only one to have ever done this, but.... for three days after making the $$ committment to get banded, I went into a "last meal" eating frenzy. Once again, I was using food to deal with my nerves over the surgery. Shoot. Well, I'm done with that and got rid of all the junk in the house. It's time to look forward and I'm back on board - with a little help from my forum friends.

Surgery date May 1, 2008

Best wishes to all,

Lorraine